• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

God I loved the first two films in the Alien series. Perfect horror movie followed by ace shoot 'em up.

I've always preferred The Thing over the Alien films. Though Aliens is still top notch.

Yeah that's the one. Talking of Carpenter horrors, have you ever seen Prince Of Darkness? That's fantastic too. Has a cameo from Alice Cooper to boot.

Carpenter films I have seen (on top of the Thing):

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976 version)
Halloween (best slasher movie ever and the most incredible sound track to boot) - seen the sequels but I recovered. Garbage they were.
The Fog
The Philadelphia Experiment
Starman - which is superb film although certainly not a horror in any way
Christine - bad film from King's worst book of the early years.

Missed Prince of Darkness so I must check that out

Escape from New York
They Live (I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum - Rowdy Roddy Piper)
Escape from LA
John Carpenters Vampires

They're all ace for various reasons as well as the ones you've listed.

Escape from LA is absolutely brilliant, very underrated in my eyes.

You both need to check out Prince Of Darkness. It's great.

I also love Big Trouble In Little China by Carpenter. "it's all in the reflexes...."

Sorry to derail the thread btw!

Bringing it back on thread. Alien Isolation has arrived from my dear friends at Amazon. Happy days, I seem to have ordered the wrong edition. I meant to order the standard but seem to have the edition where you can play the standard storyline with Ripley's daughter on the space station or you can take the characters of Ripley, Dallas or Parker and play the game on the Nostromo. Get in.

Bringing it back on thread. Alien Isolation has arrived from my dear friends at Amazon. Happy days, I seem to have ordered the wrong edition. I meant to order the standard but seem to have the edition where you can play the standard storyline with Ripley's daughter on the space station or you can take the characters of Ripley, Dallas or Parker and play the game on the Nostromo. Get in.

I watched a little bit on twitch and it made me jump a few times.

Dead Space on roids, that game is. Plus Alien gets a free "win" button.

I think the problem with film franchises is that films, by definition, are linear. And that doesnt translate to any kind of modern game. The only way is to essentially use the characters, but not the storyline, and then it becomes more 'inspired by...', rather than the game of a film.

I think you are right sir. But it looks like an immense game in the first go. Really atmospheric. Loving it.

I should get £100 when I trade in my Xbox 360, I've a phone I can trade in which will give me a further £75, and I should have a couple of hundred in the next few months as well. I aim to own an Xbox One by Easter at the latest. Loads of the people I play online with have fucked off from the 360 and have the new console now, the deserting cuntasauruses.

I think you are right sir. But it looks like an immense game in the first go. Really atmospheric. Loving it.

Squeeze's status update last night made me piss myself laughing :icon_lol:

Can anyone explain the attraction of Minecraft? I really don't see why it's such a phenomenon!

I bought it years ago when it was still relatively unknown, think i paid about £5 or something and ensured myself free upgrades for life, got a couple months or so of decent entertainment from it but soon lost interest when i'd figured out most of the tools and things you could make, got very repetitive after that.

It just looks so pointless. I watched the video review of the XBO/PS4 version on IGN and they gave it 9.7/10! But it doesn't look much fun to me - you could get a decent Lego kit for your £40.

Maybe I'm just missing something but I don't get it at all. Someone even pointed out there are Dr Who figures in one update. But they look like Dr Who for the Sega Master System. Not exactly enticing me.

Pointless it certainly is, as i said there was a small sense of achievement when you were figuring out how to create the different tools like axes and spades which made a great difference at the time to trying to scrape through every block with your bare hands, you soon realise though that even though you're now doing everyhing a lot quicker, you're still not really going anywhere. You can build yourself some sort of house or fort or whatever, wait until night time brings the beasties out and have a bit of fun picking them off with a sword or bow and arrow but that's pretty much it for me. It's quite impressive when you look on youtube at some of the things people have created on there but i've no idea how they stuck it out long enough to complete such projects.

Even the fighting bits looked dull - it was like playing on an 8-bit machine again. I'm not shallow enough to suggest that only games with stunning visuals are good games but it just looks really shit and basic without being all that fun. And I can imagine it's very time consuming as you say.

At the present moment there are a few decent console bundles available but loads of them seem to come packaged with sodding Minecraft.

Back