• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Had another decent blast on Black Ops 2 last night - it is DEFINITELY better the more you play it and the maps become more familiar.

I had a few issues where I was shooting first but losing out which is apparently quite common, but that's more likely to be a server issue rather than a genuine fault with the game. Oh, and the graphics for the airstrike killstreak look like a megadrive game.

But anyway - last night was the most enjoyable game of multiplayer CoD I've had in absolutely ages.

I quite like it, it seems just as good as the first Black Ops to me. I like the maps, I like the scorestreaks, I like the weapon and perk upgrade system which has definitely taken something from the Battlefield series. I haven't come across too much quickscoping as yet, so don't have that to complain about! Camping on the other hand... Overall, a decent game, but very much a case of more of the same with a few shiny knobs on it. And I don't mean you, JP, Codfather et al...

I quite like it, it seems just as good as the first Black Ops to me. I like the maps, I like the scorestreaks, I like the weapon and perk upgrade system which has definitely taken something from the Battlefield series. I haven't come across too much quickscoping as yet, so don't have that to complain about! Camping on the other hand... Overall, a decent game, but very much a case of more of the same with a few shiny knobs on it. And I don't mean you, JP, Codfather et al...

Camping will decrease as people learn the maps - I'm tending to avoid TDM because that's the worst for it.

I'm definitely not used to the upgrades system yet (maybe because I haven't played Battlefield) but really like the 10 slot perk system (who needs a secondary weapon unless you've got overlord?) - the lack of continual air support is a much better as it was stupid in MW3.

But yes - it's more like Black Ops which is no bad thing.

Thought I'd post this here first, see if anyone wants, I've got a couple of codes for NFS:MW on the PS3, the online pass, also a couple of codes for some cars, they're from the limited edition of the game, if anyone wants them, just PM me.

Thank you ShopTo for posting Hitman early! Arrived through the door this morning!

Completed the campaign mode on Black Ops 2. It actually improves though the storyline remains a bit ropey, and the characters are as likeable as John McGinlay.

I'm going to praise Treyarch for trying something new with the campaign mode that I hadn't come across until last night - some side missions called Strike Force missions that use a bit of RTS skill to complete (if anyone has played Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway they'll know what I mean). It's not totally successful but at least it's something new. If they can polish it up for the next instalment it will greatly benefit the series.

Just choose a story that doesn't switch as unsuccessfully between generations, stop the annoying 'fade to black' sections, create some semi-likeable characters and expand on the strike force missions and it'll be a decent enough campaign mode.

Did you go through it on Veteran? It's supposed to be quite easy compared on that level compared to previous games. Easy cheevo points.

No, just normal. I try a veteran play through at some point though - normally a few months down the line.

I've had some absolute horrible moments on Black Ops 2 recently with hit detection where I fire right into someone's torso with a shotgun at close range and fail to even muster a hit marker, and i'm not lagging at all and they proceed to kill me a second or two later with an SMG. I can't even hack it with Assault Rifles anymore, this game frustrates me >=( It's the first COD which I have not enjoyed, normally I love it for at least two months or so but this hasn't even lasted a week.

Oh well, i'm getting AC 3 for Christmas. I might just stick to single-player games for a while until DayZ standalone releases.

Last edited:
Hit detection is inconsistent - I agree there. Hopefully that'll be sorted soon.

But I have enjoyed this more than the first few days of MW2 and MW3. A definite improvement on last years offering.

I think I'm going to upgrade its mark to 8/10. I'm really enjoying it.

Hit detection is inconsistent - I agree there. Hopefully that'll be sorted soon.

But I have enjoyed this more than the first few days of MW2 and MW3. A definite improvement on last years offering.

I think I'm going to upgrade its mark to 8/10. I'm really enjoying it.

I'll still rate it above MW3, but it's just annoying the hell out of me at the moment - Maybe even Hitman will tempt me!

EDIT: I found this and I think it's why I dislike it so much.http://www.reddit.com/r/blackops2/comments/137k8r/black_ops_2_maps/

Would also explain why I hated MW3 and I loved Black Ops 1, I tend to play with rifles either semi-auto or burst so BO2 with hectic close range gunfights annoys the piss out of me.

Last edited:
I'm sorry drag people back to a game released in Europe on March 1st 1997, damn Mario 64 is an awesome game.

Anyway moving along to the present day Nintendo games.

The Wii U launched in North America today and the games are getting great reviews and the system it self is being hyped big time. The price tag is still a little steep though.

They're selling it at a loss as it is, that price isn't coming down any time soon.

I still play quite a lot of N64 games through an emulator, still fantastic stuff and for games that were released 15+ years ago the graphics have held up pretty well.

They're selling it at a loss as it is, that price isn't coming down any time soon.

I still play quite a lot of N64 games through an emulator, still fantastic stuff and for games that were released 15+ years ago the graphics have held up pretty well.

I'll still get the Wii U, I like the whole concept of it.

I do like my Nintendo 64 games Deutsch. Mario 64 is possibly the best launch title ever in my opinion. Banjo Kazooie is a cracking game as well but I am still to complete the game.

I'll still rate it above MW3, but it's just annoying the hell out of me at the moment - Maybe even Hitman will tempt me!

EDIT: I found this and I think it's why I dislike it so much.http://www.reddit.com/r/blackops2/comments/137k8r/black_ops_2_maps/

Would also explain why I hated MW3 and I loved Black Ops 1, I tend to play with rifles either semi-auto or burst so BO2 with hectic close range gunfights annoys the piss out of me.

I'm doing okay, averaging + 1.15 and I haven't played since Black Ops one. I hate that Carrier map though. The flak jacket helps ( And so did stealing other weapons) .

Had a brilliant game on Black Ops 2 last night - really enjoying it now.

Not sure I agree with that link - I understand the points made but surely such map layouts discourage camping and mean team work is even more important? That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Still not keen on the yacht map though - stupid spawning and it's a bit like an elongated Nuketown-on-Sea.

I do agree with the link. Cod 4 maps were the best multiplayer maps I've seen. Spawning is a big issue that needs to be resolved also. Having said that, I am really enjoying this game. Just hope they add some more game modes to hardcore. Especially hardpoint.

I've read that they're bringing back 'War' that was last seen in WaW. That was a great mode.

CoD4 is definitely my favourite of the series (only Skyrim can beat it as my favourite game ever, in fact) and I'd argue that BO2 could maybe do with some more expansive maps such as Overgrown from CoD4.

Also - I've found that the quick scoping is reducing in frequency - thank fuck. They're still out there but nowhere near as often. (Incidentally, it's SO easy to do!!)

Damn I'm a bit annoyed with Sony at the moment. The Vita promised so so much potential and yet it hasn't delivered. Half arsed games are being released (Fifa, Resistance, C.O.D) Sony need to get their fingers from out of their asses and start to support the Vita more. I think portable gaming is dying fast thanks to the likes of smart phones.

If anyone is going to a midnight launch for the Wii U and wants to do the update to play online, you'll be waiting a while. The update is rumoured to be between 1-5 GB and every single game has an update that takes between 20 - 50 minutes to update per game and the Wii U does not have an ethernet port damn.

Back