• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Bagged myself a new job which saves two and a half hours of commuting every day and I'll be involved in the planning of the new Bristol arena.

Telling my boss was fucking hard though - they've been superb to work for and have taught me an incredible amount.

Bagged myself a new job which saves two and a half hours of commuting every day and I'll be involved in the planning of the new Bristol arena.

Telling my boss was fucking hard though - they've been superb to work for and have taught me an incredible amount.

Nice one Nando! Happy days

Great news for you, never easy telling your boss that youve got something new(if he is a nice boss of course), but its all about you in the end..

Well done, mate.

Well done Nando - you will find that once you start the new job that you will wonder how you put up with that much of a commute before. I know I did, though had got so used to the long drive that I had stopped thinking about it, it was only when I moved to a job nearer to home that I realised how much time I had wasted over the previous 3 years.

I spent a year commuting from Wolverhampton to Reading. It was just an open invite for an ulcer.

Mind you I spent six years getting a train at five past six every weekday when I worked in the City before then. I just couldn't do it now.

I spent a year commuting from Wolverhampton to Reading. It was just an open invite for an ulcer.

Mind you I spent six years getting a train at five past six every weekday when I worked in the City before then. I just couldn't do it now.

Tell me about it. I'm working in London at the moment and it's two-and-a-half hours door to door. On a good day. Given that I stay at my parents in Reading and thus don't see my wife until the weekend.

Tell me about it. I'm working in London at the moment and it's two-and-a-half hours door to door. On a good day. Given that I stay at my parents in Reading and thus don't see my wife until the weekend.

Jesus, man. That's no way to live.

Just been watching the new 'right to buy' initiative on sky news.

I don't get this - the houses are owned by housing associations which are independent and privately owned / run - how can the governemnt force them to sell them off? Will it also apply to smaller private landlords too?

Just been watching the new 'right to buy' initiative on sky news.

I don't get this - the houses are owned by housing associations which are independent and privately owned / run - how can the governemnt force them to sell them off? Will it also apply to smaller private landlords too?

I suppose the government still have a bit of say with housing associations as they took over most of the old council housing, from my experience tendering for work with them they're often heavily reliant on HCA funding for their new build projects too which helps the government keep their foot in the door to a degree. I suppose the government could have it set up so they subsidise the building costs through HCA funding but the housing association has to exclude that value from the subsequent price of the houses when they sell them on?

Jesus, man. That's no way to live.

Agree with tech tbh. Remember a mate of mine who travelled via public transport from part of dudley to stoke.
He was up before 5, & was out of the house for over 14 hours before he got home.
He did that for over 2 years.

Having a 25 minute cycle ride now is phenomenal. The extra time is great for de-stressing.

I really enjoying commuting - never tend to get wound up by it.

I absolutely agree, hence why I'm starting to put plans into place which will hopefully get me away from the city. Ideally that will be in what I do now with work from home but if not - and I suspect that that will prve true - then I've got a couple of contacts I intend to speak to about qualifications for a new career path.

Anyway, as this is supposed to be a happy thread, being away from home allows me to work on my triathlon training during the week and I smashed a 12km ride into 5km run brick session on Sunday, the latter at sub-8-minute miles pace too. I may have actually found a sport I'm reasonably proficient at. Only taken me 30-odd years too.

My commute is about 2 and a half hours round trip, I quite like it though, other than the 7-8 miles closest to home which is always the slowest part of the journey regardless of time/direction. Once i'm past Aldridge it's a piece of piss, tootle up the A38 through the countryside with most of the traffic going in the opposite direction to me, sometimes gets a bit busy round Derby but then back out into some lovely countryside for the last 10 minutes or so up to the office.

The time doesn't really bother me for the most part, i've got used to the earlier starts pretty easily and still get home to eat at a reasonable time, just a bit annoying sometimes if i'm going to a gig or something mid week, means having to finish a bit early usually or can be a rush to get home, get changed and head back out to get there in time. Seem to make better use of my weekends now too, rarely sleep past 9 now even without an alarm so up early enough to get plenty done.

I'd be happy enough doing this commute for a good while yet I think, certainly seems better than my sister's much shorter commute into Coleshill, but I don't think i'd want to really do any further.

Back