• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

My commute is about 2 and a half hours round trip, I quite like it though, other than the 7-8 miles closest to home which is always the slowest part of the journey regardless of time/direction. Once i'm past Aldridge it's a piece of piss, tootle up the A38 through the countryside with most of the traffic going in the opposite direction to me, sometimes gets a bit busy round Derby but then back out into some lovely countryside for the last 10 minutes or so up to the office.

The time doesn't really bother me for the most part, i've got used to the earlier starts pretty easily and still get home to eat at a reasonable time, just a bit annoying sometimes if i'm going to a gig or something mid week, means having to finish a bit early usually or can be a rush to get home, get changed and head back out to get there in time. Seem to make better use of my weekends now too, rarely sleep past 9 now even without an alarm so up early enough to get plenty done.

I'd be happy enough doing this commute for a good while yet I think, certainly seems better than my sister's much shorter commute into Coleshill, but I don't think i'd want to really do any further.

Interesting, perhaps it is an age thing. I used to travel a lot further. Perhaps as we get older we perceive more that time is precious, and spending numerous hours in solitude travelling to/from a place of work could be better spent.
I heard a stat the other day that if we spend 4 hours a day watching tv, that equates to over 12 years of the average persons life. Fuck me, do I want to have spent 12 years watching tv?

Interesting, perhaps it is an age thing. I used to travel a lot further. Perhaps as we get older we perceive more that time is precious, and spending numerous hours in solitude travelling to/from a place of work could be better spent.
I heard a stat the other day that if we spend 4 hours a day watching tv, that equates to over 12 years of the average persons life. Fuck me, do I want to have spent 12 years watching tv?

I can certainly see how it'd be a massive inconvenience for some people. If I had a young family then I think it'd grind you down a bit but I don't ever plan on that being the case so don't really need to factor in much more than the 'quality' of the commute itself.

There was a bloke in our office from Barnsley who left at Easter, his commute was similar in time/distance to mine but within a few days of starting here you could tell he wasn't a fan. In fairness he had to put up with the average speed shit going for a fair chunk of his time on the M1 which is always painfully irritating, plus when they'd finished that section it was just going to move to another part of the M1 that he also used so there wasn't any escaping that inconvenience for a good while. The junction between the A38 and M1 is pretty wank from all directions at peak times too so that's another shitter for him.

The time played a big factor for him too, he had a daughter about 6-7 and he wasn't seeing much of her, think he left before she was awake pretty much everyday and then she was going to bed not long after he'd had his tea so hardly got any time with her at all through the week.

It does present some problems though when looking for somewhere to live, which hopefully i'll be able to do with some real vigour soon, seems stupid not to move closer to work when I've got such a commute but then everything other than work is still back round home so I'd be giving myself some big journeys to come and play football or see family and friends, that just seems silly. There's nowhere up here really appeals to me as a place to live either to be honest, Nottingham would probably be the best choice in terms of the place itself but it's not the great drive over from there so still not ideal. I suppose finding somewhere in between would probably be the way to go really, even just going as far as Aldridge would save me probably 30-40 minutes of driving per day but again it's a bit shit, Lichfield is probably the pick of the more local places, would save myself probably an hour a day of driving without being too far from everything at home but it's expensive as fuck.

I absolutely agree, hence why I'm starting to put plans into place which will hopefully get me away from the city. Ideally that will be in what I do now with work from home but if not - and I suspect that that will prve true - then I've got a couple of contacts I intend to speak to about qualifications for a new career path.

Anyway, as this is supposed to be a happy thread, being away from home allows me to work on my triathlon training during the week and I smashed a 12km ride into 5km run brick session on Sunday, the latter at sub-8-minute miles pace too. I may have actually found a sport I'm reasonably proficient at. Only taken me 30-odd years too.

I used to do long distance running. I have done a few marathons in my time. Hard work but very rewarding.

Might not be what you want but there are a shit load of new homes going in around Burton which are nice.

Might not be what you want but there are a shit load of new homes going in around Burton which are nice.

Burton looks to be a good location at a glance but it's a nightmare getting from anywhere in Burton to the A38, had to pick up a bloke from work a few times when his car was knackered and it's such a ball-ache of a place to drive around, doesn't help the two junctions for the A38 are at opposite ends of the town either so unless you're at either end it takes forever to get out of the place.

There was talk of me going to work out on site a while back, Coventry being mooted, but nothing has been said since and that particular job starts in a few weeks time too, that would potentially alter my thinking again depending on how long I'd be based out there, if it was say 12 months on that job then i'd probably look for somewhere near Wolverhampton station and just go on the train everyday as the job is literally next door to Coventry station. If i'm staying office based then I think i'd possibly be inclined to just get a flat as close to work as possible just for somewhere to stay 2-3 nights a week, get myself on the property ladder and keep the outgoings down compared to moving out completely.

Penguins are in the Play Offs.

Tit Monday.

I've just squeezed me own juice.

I'm going to Birmingham's Spring Market in Digbeth on Saturday with the family. There is some tasty looking food on offer!

I'm going to Birmingham's Spring Market in Digbeth on Saturday with the family. There is some tasty looking food on offer!

I might be going there too!

Went to one last year, autumn one I think, that's where I discovered my beloved BBQ street food vendor but he isn't there this time unfortunately, the burger place that's there is good though, had one of them last time.

After having had two falls lately and not feeling or looking at all well, I saw my mom today and she was looking and feeling more like her usual cheerful self. This makes me extremely happy.

I might be going there too!

Went to one last year, autumn one I think, that's where I discovered my beloved BBQ street food vendor but he isn't there this time unfortunately, the burger place that's there is good though, had one of them last time.
Are the burgers the original patty men? Their burgers look amazing!

Are the burgers the original patty men? Their burgers look amazing!

That's the ones! They were the reason I went to the last one, a lad I know used to work with one of them or something and he tried to get a load of us to go up there for the afternoon then have a piss up round Brum but no-one fancied the idea so I just went up there in the day with my girlfriend instead. It got pretty busy at the last one, we got there for about 12 and most of the stalls were only just starting serving but as soon as they did they were picking up a fair queue, by the time we left everywhere had queues of at least 20-25 people.

Was a bit cold and windy at the last one but it's a decent setting to hang around, have a few drinks and stuff your face if the weather is better.

It will make me extremely happy if Dr Watkins can make me stop walking like ive got a bit left in.

Summer clothes shopping with me best friend, with a visit to the brewery and winery and lunch thrown in. You know its gonna be a brill day when you take the fun truck and not the car.

Back