• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Afobe is good enough as a backup striker..so would be a decent PL striker for that price..Nuno played him wide at least once also i believe?

You think Daniel Sturridge is a good enough first choice.

Why do you have to name someone else to sign if you don't rate a player we've signed? Is it a game? Or the rules?

I'll go Kasper Dolberg.

I'm kinda of with PQ on this.

If you don't think he's good enough, who do you think we should go for? I can only think of Oliveria and I'm not sure his attitude is where we need it. The only other I can think of, us George Hirst from Sheffield Wednesday but he's probably not quite ready yet

Personally I'm happy with him as a second choice striker.

If he's our first choice we might have a problem but as cover I think he's fine.

I could say Danny Ings but you might say that's unrealistic but then if I told you we'd sign Ruben Neves last year you'd have said the same. It's all about how high you set your sights and Fosun have set theirs pretty high as we know.

Truth is we just don't know who will come in.

Why do you have to name someone else to sign if you don't rate a player we've signed? Is it a game? Or the rules?

I'll go Kasper Dolberg.
Come on, ok Ronaldo then

I was slightly irked originally, but in the grand scheme of things the fee and wages are what counts towards the budget and his wages are going to be less than if we want for a forward like Torres, Slimani, Joel Campbell, Mitrovic, Bony, Abraham. All who I've just plucked from my mind as either on loan or expiring from either prem teams or with Prem experience.

I have been fretting about depth so if this is true that is the start of addressing that, a preseason under Nuno and he might suit us better than he did Bournemouth and as I mentioned before its rare that a non elite club striker breaks 10 goals in a season in the Prem so think we need to address our expectations. This season in terms of breaking 10 league goals from the 'lesser' clubs we had Murray, Wood and Arunautavic and a few more the year before but that is from playing a significant amount of the league games. He has 10 Prem career goals so is currently tied with Seb in that regard.

I want a better rwb than doc. I can't name many because I don't watch much non-epl football. Does that mean I can't expect our dozens of scouts to be able to find one?

I want a better rwb than doc. I can't name many because I don't watch much non-epl football. Does that mean I can't expect our dozens of scouts to be able to find one?

No, it just means that when they do, you can’t whinge they should have got someone better...

We need that in the forum code of conduct tbf, I didn't know that

Well if your view is that you don’t have to supply alternative names because we have a professional team of scouts and knowledge that does that for you, then surely you are going to trust the results they come up with.

Anything else would just be whinging for the sake of it, and I’m sure no one on this forum would ever dream of doing that....

I do trust them, and I don't think we'll sign Afobe for my aforementioned reasons. But if they did, well, everybody makes mistakes.

Personally I'd say that 12m for Afobe is probably in line with Prem inflation over the past few years.

I also think that, while he isn't a perfect fit, he's definitely better than some here give him credit for.

Well if your view is that you don’t have to supply alternative names because we have a professional team of scouts and knowledge that does that for you, then surely you are going to trust the results they come up with.

Anything else would just be whinging for the sake of it, and I’m sure no one on this forum would ever dream of doing that....

Alternatively it may be context you are deliberately missing. Some would say being obtuse to fit your own agenda.

Of course you have been presented with names and have chosen to ignore them, but y'know don't let that spoil your fun.

Danny Ings of the three goals in the last three seasons? I’m not personally a massive fan, but if we signed him, I’d think Nuno had seen something that would work for his system..

Whilst we are all discussing which players to sign for us for fortunes in the next few weeks, Vile fans are consoling themselves with the hope that naming rights for Bodymore Heath and Vile Park can be sold for 10's of millions just so that they can remain competitive in the Championship next season.

From me its a no to Benik but Leo can stay to be a squad filler.

Danny Ings of the three goals in the last three seasons? I’m not personally a massive fan, but if we signed him, I’d think Nuno had seen something that would work for his system..

And that's why throwing names out doesn't work. It's all about opinion and whatever name I put up you were always going to predictably disagree with. So congrats on being predictable.

You have your entrenched position on Afobe and others have theirs, it seems fairly split at the moment but will you accept that?

For me Afobe is a decent signing. He's far better than most of his detractors portray him without being fantastic. He's not been great at Bournemouth but he wouldn't be the first player to struggle somewhere then do well afterwards. He genuinely is happy to be at this club it seems, he won't be a dick if he doesn't play as he wasn't for them and he seems to fit in nicely with people here. Added that to the fact that he looked to be getting used to how we play and understand what Nuno wants from him then the signing more than makes sense. If it comes to home grown quotas then he will also be handy and while there are definitely better players out there they won't have the upsides that i've mentioned above. Personally i think we'll sign at least another striker and then even Diogo can play there so i don't think we will be short.

Not having Danny Ings though, he's played 25 games in 3 seasons. Decent before his injury but can't see him getting back near that and even then i think he would suit us less then Benik. Afobe 100 times out of 100 for me if that's a choice going in to next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back