• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are signing him it's because Nuno thinks he is good enough to play a part. My own personal view of his ability is somewhat beaten by the opinion of Nuno...so he wins.

Im quite happy for him to be our back up striker. I can’t imagine we will only sign him considering we want to do more than simply survive. He seems to genuinely like being at the club again, and he did improve as games went by in terms of what Nuno wanted from him. That and he is a very good finisher.

The club have gone on record saying that they want 3 players for that position. 2nd half of last season we had Afobe, Bonatini & Mir. If you accept that we're not going to sign Léo & Mir probably isn't ready for the Premier League then if we don't sign Afobe we're having to start from scratch in a pretty vital position.

Makes sense to sign Afobe, he knows the system better than any new player coming in would, loves the club, has played in the Premier League before but still has a point to prove and he's far better than some of the ridiculous criticism he gets. Don't understand those baulking over the price either, £12M gets you a pretty decent striker these days, Afobe is pretty decent.

Benik wasn’t a world beater but some hyperbole on here too.

He barely started, and occasionally when he did start it wasn’t as a 9. To say he only scored against shit teams is a bit silly. Everyone we played was shit, and he didn’t start as a 9 against Cardiff (he was the best player first half, low bar), and didn’t start against Villa. He started against Boro and didn’t do too much but enough for us to be winning 2-0 and then we were down to 10 early second half.

He also started playing catch up. He’s barely started all season so wasn’t match sharp, playing in a different system. He came and scored goals, which was more than the alternative was doing.

If Nuno wants him, I trust him. He might be able to improve him and make me better. He’s also English and “a good guy around the place”.

Worst case scenario we can sell him on, but I reckon he will be a decent addition considering we are going from a starting point of zero strikers.

I didn't realise that if we don't sign Benik the only option is Ronaldo. Silly me.

Or perhaps there are better players than Benik? Dare I say it there are better players than Benik that may be more suitable for Wolves? But it's important for players to love the clubs they're at as it makes them better players and only Benik fits that bill.

And why buy a player to sit on the bench in the forlorn hope 'you'll get your money back'? Barmy logic.

Fair enough - im interested as to who you would get instead? Who are these amazing players who would be happy to come and be our second choice striker?

The club have gone on record saying that they want 3 players for that position. 2nd half of last season we had Afobe, Bonatini & Mir. If you accept that we're not going to sign Léo & Mir probably isn't ready for the Premier League then if we don't sign Afobe we're having to start from scratch in a pretty vital position.

Makes sense to sign Afobe, he knows the system better than any new player coming in would, loves the club, has played in the Premier League before but still has a point to prove and he's far better than some of the ridiculous criticism he gets. Don't understand those baulking over the price either, £12M gets you a pretty decent striker these days, Afobe is pretty decent.

Nail. On. Head.

Im quite happy for him to be our back up striker. I can’t imagine we will only sign him considering we want to do more than simply survive. He seems to genuinely like being at the club again, and he did improve as games went by in terms of what Nuno wanted from him. That and he is a very good finisher.
Wot Louis said.

I suppose I don't trust Afobe even as this so called different-to-the-Bonatini-type striker going up into the prem. That's going off his past Prem record and seeing him play each game for us last season.

If we sign him then surely Nuno must trust him and see more in him. I don't think they'll be winging it or thinking about selling on values too much for someone like Afobe.

It's a tough one. If we signed a monster of a player, Bonatini and Afobe then I guess I would be happy. It's gunna be a long summer isn't it...

Fair enough - im interested as to who you would get instead? Who are these amazing players who would be happy to come and be our second choice striker?

You don't think we can attract better players than Afobe when we have got players like Neves, Jota and Boly in our ranks? I would be looking for strikers on their level and I don't see Afobe anywhere near that.

As for names, that's as ridiculous as the question, nobody thought we'd get Neves so I really don't know. It could be anybody and I wouldn't want them to be coming as a 2nd string striker, I would want them to be competing for the shirt to start.

So you have no idea then?

It always amazes me how people who always think they’re right, then go on to plead ignorance in the same sentence...

So you have no idea then?

It always amazes me how people who always think they’re right, then go on to plead ignorance in the same sentence...

I could pick 40 names out of a hat that are better than Afobe and not as good as Ronaldo but I have no idea if they would come here to play for Wolves and neither do you so it's a nonsense argument to say Afobe is the best we can get.

I've read a few rumours about wilshere today. Apparently he's removed arsenal from his Instagram and i don't think he's signed a new contract

I could pick 40 names out of a hat that are better than Afobe and not as good as Ronaldo but I have no idea if they would come here to play for Wolves and neither do you so it's a nonsense argument to say Afobe is the best we can get.

And yet Nuno clearly thinks he is. You should offer your guru services as you clearly know better than he does?

Not for me for the following reasons:
He can't play back to goal effectively enough
His first touch isn't great
Speed of thought is slow
We need a player to do a version of the job Leo did, preferably with a bit of pace and more of predatory instinct, the first bit isn't Benik
He was average to poor in the PL at Bournemouth
We should be looking to finish above them this year, I know it's not this simplistic but signing players they don't want isn't the way to go
The quoted price is too high. That would have us at £35m so far without actually improving the team

This makes it look like I don't like him which isn't the case, I just don't see him as an asset in the PL the way we set up. If I was Rowett at Stoke I'd pay the money now.

Close control, you sure about that?

His control for the 2nd goal against Bolton from the 60yd pass from Coady, was absolutely superb. The ball dropped to him over his left shoulder on the move which he controlled with his left foot, set it up with his right foot and blasted it into the net. Pretty impressive close control.

I was doubtful when he joined us whether he would be suitable, and I groaned at some of his early attempts. To be fair to him though he got better and better as the season progressed and looked quite dangerous toward the end.

As others have said, if Nuno wants him, then fair enough. If Nuno decides against signing him then that's fair enough as well.

Thing which does it for me is that that Bournemouth have played open football but Afobe hasn't imposed himself. It's not like say SEB under Mick because we were packing the midfield and he was often up top and isolated.

Whats more is Afobe failed to nail down a place despite Callum Wilson having a couple of fairly horrendous injuries and Bournemouth turning to 84 year old Defoe.

Maybe with a summer of Nuno and his team working on him will make him at least passable upstairs.

I think Afobe is good enough as a backup striker..so would be a decent PL striker for that price..Nuno played him wide at least once also i believe?

Don't be a dick.

I don't think Afobe is good enough, you do.

I'm kinda of with PQ on this.

If you don't think he's good enough, who do you think we should go for? I can only think of Oliveria and I'm not sure his attitude is where we need it. The only other I can think of, us George Hirst from Sheffield Wednesday but he's probably not quite ready yet

Personally I'm happy with him as a second choice striker.

If he's our first choice we might have a problem but as cover I think he's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back