• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2017/18

He was truly abysmal at Coventry, somehow they managed to keep appointing worse people than him after he left but he basically took the last bit of funding SISU were granting the club and wasted it for zero reward.

He's got an absolutely massive ego relative to his ability, doubtless he backs himself as the man to turn Sunderland around but I just don't see it at all.

In other news (and weird news at that), betting suspended on Simon Grayson going to Bury.

I think Coleman may have learnt a lesson or two from his previous experiences. At 47, there's still potential there but I wouldn't rate him outside the Lambert-Jackett ability bracket. He'll do okay at Sunderland, nothing spectacular. I'm quite surprised he has gone for that job though. After the comments the other day, I really thought he'd hold out for a job overseas in a top division or stay put.

Me and Tony somehow got this around a month ago on the Road to Russia thread

Trips said:
Think he'll want a crack at club management again. He'll be under zero pressure from FAW, but I think he'll fancy a change

followed with Tony's response

Tony Towner said:
Who'd have him though? Rightly or wrongly most people put his Wales record down to having Bale. Palace is the only PL team who could be interested, but they've only just got Roy in. After that it's the Championship and then by the nature of why they'd need a manager it would be an underperforming/poor side in the bottom half. Would he want to go to Sunderland for example?

Personally I think Coleman did a very good job at Wales. Previous Welsh managers have had the likes of Giggs, Rush, Speed, Hughes, Sothall, Ratcliffe etc., available but achieved less than Coleman did.

I think he has took on a very difficult job at Sunderland, but one which wil offer great rewards if he can turn things around there.

Personally I think Coleman did a very good job at Wales. Previous Welsh managers have had the likes of Giggs, Rush, Speed, Hughes, Sothall, Radcliffe etc., available but achieved less than Coleman did.

I think he has took on a very difficult job at Sunderland, but one which wil offer great rewards if he can turn things around there.

I agree Frank. There has been enough hype about England's golden generation failing to achieve, wales had some serious quality and did nothing to shout about in tournaments. Coleman will do well to keep Sunderland up though.They look like we did when we appointed Saunders.I hope they stay up. Nice club. Loyal fans

Yes those were good players (when they could be arsed to play in Giggs case), but the rest of the squad was absolute toilet, and those listed didn't all play together.

You have to give him some credit for reaching the Semi final of the euros but personally I don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as Michael O’Neil. Give Coleman the batch of players O’Neil had to work and see how he would have done.
I’d also add the pressure of playing or managing England compared to Wales is huge difference. England players and managers for years carry huge baggage with them whereas Wales pressure is very minimal compared just think what the media would have done to Southgate if we’d come third in that group.

Yes those were good players (when they could be arsed to play in Giggs case), but the rest of the squad was absolute toilet, and those listed didn't all play together.

Southall Rush Hughes and Radcliffe must have surely? They are all about the same age? Giggs started in 1992 but I don't know when he was capped. Radcliffe finished in 1992. On top of those Wales had better players playing at champion or top teams than Scotland often did but the Scots qualified for world cups. Joey Jones terry yorath Leighton james. Go to 1990 and wales have Southall speed saunders Radcliffe Hughes and rush all playing at the same time. So only Giggs from Franks list was missing. So they should have done better 1986 to 1992 at the very least

Correction.Giggs made his Wales debut 1990 to 1991 season so technically all those mentioned could have played together

BBC says Ryan giggs and tony pulis favourites for the Wales job

I think Giggs is nailed on personally.

Southall Rush Hughes and Radcliffe must have surely? They are all about the same age? Giggs started in 1992 but I don't know when he was capped. Radcliffe finished in 1992. On top of those Wales had better players playing at champion or top teams than Scotland often did but the Scots qualified for world cups. Joey Jones terry yorath Leighton james. Go to 1990 and wales have Southall speed saunders Radcliffe Hughes and rush all playing at the same time. So only Giggs from Franks list was missing. So they should have done better 1986 to 1992 at the very least

1986 they missed out on world cup qualification on goal difference (Spain 9 points, Scotland 7 points (+4), Wales 7 points (+1)
1988 they finished third in their group (only one qualified) - Denmark 8 points, Czechoslovakia 7 points, Wales 6 points
1990 was an appalling campaign. However, the group had two qualifiers. They were West Germany (who went on to win the thing) and Holland (reigning Euro champs) so it was a pretty horrendous draw!
1992 missed out by 1 point to Germany, finishing four points clear in second from Belgium

Wales problem has ALWAYS been the pot they end up in when draw time comes round.

I think Giggs is nailed on personally.

It's a big first job, giggs would be better off cutting his teeth managerially lower down the leagues. Saying that I can't see Wales going for Pulis either

1986 they missed out on world cup qualification on goal difference (Spain 9 points, Scotland 7 points (+4), Wales 7 points (+1)
1988 they finished third in their group (only one qualified) - Denmark 8 points, Czechoslovakia 7 points, Wales 6 points
1990 was an appalling campaign. However, the group had two qualifiers. They were West Germany (who went on to win the thing) and Holland (reigning Euro champs) so it was a pretty horrendous draw!
1992 missed out by 1 point to Germany, finishing four points clear in second from Belgium

Wales problem has ALWAYS been the pot they end up in when draw time comes round.

That’s the problem that exist with persistent non qualifying and slipping down the rankings, personally I don’t think the group this time round was as hard as some were making it out to be.

It wasn't.

The Ireland result was the final nail but failing to beat Georgia was a really dire blow.

I seem to remember Wales playing much better football under Gary Speed before he passed away, Coleman kept up that momentum but turned them into a team that grinded out results, something that becomes easier when you have Gareth Bale to get the ball to.

Speed was building something for definite, he had a plan which Coleman didn’t. Coleman then began to base his team off of playing Bale as a forward while the rest battle behind him to stay in games. Which worked to a certain extent but it’s very easy to combat after awhile.

Giggs will be an awful appointment if that happens. He won’t do a lower league job as he thinks he is above that. Only job I could see him taking at that level is if Salford got into the football league

1. Lost to bloody Iceland the only points Iceland got in qualification. Welsh FA played the final game v Scotland at ninian park rather than Wrexham as they wanted more fans ignoring the fact wales had a better record at Wrexham.
2. 1. 1 draw with Finland the bottom team. Win that and Wales win the group 1988
3.i agree an appalling campaign but tough group whatever.
4 drew against a poor Belgium but would not have beaten the Germans goal difference.

So in summary two awful performances against the bottom sides cost wales in 2 of the four tournaments four their golden generation.

It wasn't a golden generation particularly.

It was a smattering of very good players in a team padded out with absolute dreck

Reality is if I was a wales fan I wouldn’t be crying about this. Plenty of good enough people could come in with the next campaign qualifying for a 24 team euros which will be far easier and should be no problem for Wales so it should be an attractive proposition. Only sticking point might be the wages on offer.

Back