• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should just play him, he’ll either be crap or good ( obviously) can’t do much worse than the strikers we’ve had this season, if he doesn’t want to play for us, sell him to whoever wants him at whatever price they offer and move on

What would we even get for him if we sold him? Is there anyone who would buy him for a fee based on current showings? Best option seems to be to secure some paltry loan fee each time until he fucks off for good.

He gets a go in pre season. If he’s not the answer then he’s got to go on loan to Spain or Italy. We can’t really sell him as we won’t get half our money back.

He seemed happy enough getting 30 mins a week in Holland so sitting on the bench in “the best league in the world” is a step up?

Easy to forget that he's still just 20 years old
Unfortunately it's all too easy to remember given the juvenile shit he's prone to saying and doing. I'd be more sympathetic towards him but my club invested £35M in him 3 seasons ago and have nothing to show for it so to be honest I think it's about time he grew the fuck up and contributed.

He's as fast, strong & athletic as he's ever going to be, he's got just over 100 appearances now, he's played first team football under a variety of different coaches and systems, he's won a trophy and competed in a European competition... It isn't about his development any more like he keeps saying.

I don't expect him to come back, score 15-20 goals and lead us to glory but I do expect him to be able to function as an important member of a mid table Premier League squad.

He gets a go in pre season. If he’s not the answer then he’s got to go on loan to Spain or Italy. We can’t really sell him as we won’t get half our money back.

He seemed happy enough getting 30 mins a week in Holland so sitting on the bench in “the best league in the world” is a step up?
If he goes on loan I'd make him sign another year contract extension like we did at the start of this season as we're effectively writing off another year of our investment into him if he goes off again.

Agree that it has to be to a top League. He's proving nothing to anyone scoring a tap in in the last minute of a 6-0 drubbing of Go Ahead Eagles.

Unfortunately it's all too easy to remember given the juvenile shit he's prone to saying and doing. I'd be more sympathetic towards him but my club invested £35M in him 3 seasons ago and have nothing to show for it so to be honest I think it's about time he grew the fuck up and contributed.
Bit harsh to hold the fee against him; AFAIK he didn't set that price. That's Shi's albatross more than anything.

Obviously he needs to mature more than a bit if he's going to make the best of his talent, but I sure as hell wasn't the finished article of bullshit I am today when I was 20. If that happens here, great! If not, oh well.

I'm much more concerned that someone is scoring a few goals next season than I am about it being Fabio specifically.

Obviously we all want the best for Wolves but Fabio’s circumstances aren’t straightforward.

- pretty much pushed from Porto when he didn’t want to go for a ridiculous fee
- became the focal point for a side that we now know was relying so much on Raul
- scored 4 goals and got 3 assists in 32 games and in a normal season would have been lauded. Look at Ferguson now.
- definitely had temperament issues which he can only blame himself for
- whenever he played well Bruno didn’t seem to pick him the next week and this didn’t help his development
- great start at Anderlecht but issues started to appear within the club and then it became obvious he had heard about PSV interest
- went to PSV, working under Ruud can’t be a bad thing. Club captain is the striker though and they play one striker. Played left wing and did alright but looked very good when played upfront with De Jong. Scored the winning penalty in the cup final and looks confident when he’s playing.
- still only 20 (21 in July) but now has to be playing regularly in a top league as first choice or regular back up.

Personally i’d like him to stay here, we’ve invested a lot in him and i still think he’s got the ability to score goals at this level but his attitude/temperament definitely doesn’t help at times but he is still a kid. If he can channel it then it can only help. I do think it’s very hard for some fans to separate the cost from him as a player especially when he was so young and that will always go against him.

The 'he's only 20' argument is seriously underplayed IMO.

That's really really young still. Looking at that post from @slink , there are plenty of factors in play as well.

Sure, some of his outbursts haven't helped him but I can't help but think that some people actively want him to fail which seems really weird.

Yeah, he probably does need to grow up and start to fulfill some of his potential. But he's 20 years old FFS, I really think he deserves a bit of slack.

He might not ever be worth his fee. But I don't think we're anywhere near knowing if he's a decent option at PL level or not. Not yet. Not his fault we spent so much on him - not fair to burden him with it.

No point loaning him out again, let's see what he can do here next season and help the lad develop.

Bit harsh to hold the fee against him; AFAIK he didn't set that price. That's Shi's albatross more than anything.

Obviously he needs to mature more than a bit if he's going to make the best of his talent, but I sure as hell wasn't the finished article of bullshit I am today when I was 20. If that happens here, great! If not, oh well.

I'm much more concerned that someone is scoring a few goals next season than I am about it being Fabio specifically.

The pressure of the fee is just the reality that he's going to have to live with unfortunately. I agree it's harsh but the Premier League is a harsh environment for any footballer.

He's got the talent (maybe), he's got the physicality, he's had the experience, when he's on the pitch he works hard and has a winners mentality and if he stays it'll be as part of a squad which should have enough attacking talent around him (again, maybe). If the only thing that's now holding him back is his immaturity then he needs to lose it.

If all he wants out of his career is to piss around with Xavi Simons and score a few goals against Excelsior then that's fine but he can do it on somebody else's time. The fact that we've got players like him and Guedes on our books but can't play them because they don't fancy it is an absolute disgrace. I don't absolve Shi of any blame but the players themselves can do a hell of a lot more as well.

On the last point, it shouldn't be too hard for him to come in next season and get significant game time, at least for the first few months. We're playing with 2 central forward players a lot of the time now and his main competition will be Sasa coming back from a huge injury and Cunha who will likely occupy the slightly deeper role. We might buy another forward on top of that but even still, Lopetegui rotates his forwards enough that even if he isn't first choice he's going to have enough chances to impress. He should be aiming to be getting 25+ appearances and a fairly decent goal return next season.

Agree with all the above, but for our own sakes I really hope Sasa gets and stays fit so we have options.

Last edited:
Given his history I’m not sure we can count on that. Been horrifically unlucky with injuries a lot hasn’t he?

Honestly. I mean I loved Doherty for a period when everything was going right for him but even then he was never captain material was he?

Can you imagine going a goal down early in a big game, looking up to the club captain for inspiration and seeing Doherty slowly strolling back into position, shoulders hunched, head bowed.

Zaha was offered mega money by Palace and didn't take it, so I presume there is someone out there he has spoken to, Arsenal, Newcastle, could even be Villa if they can move Coutiniho on.

Zaha is also the sort of signing you could imagine Klopp grabbing out of no where to, to play the rotational role for them.

It seems crazy he is only 30. He scored against the Solbakken Wolves side didn't he?

Honestly. I mean I loved Doherty for a period when everything was going right for him but even then he was never captain material was he?

Can you imagine going a goal down early in a big game, looking up to the club captain for inspiration and seeing Doherty slowly strolling back into position, shoulders hunched, head bowed.
I can imagine going a goal down early in a big game.

Zaha was offered mega money by Palace and didn't take it, so I presume there is someone out there he has spoken to, Arsenal, Newcastle, could even be Villa if they can move Coutiniho on.

Zaha is also the sort of signing you could imagine Klopp grabbing out of no where to, to play the rotational role for them.

It seems crazy he is only 30. He scored against the Solbakken Wolves side didn't he?
Aye, him one wing and Bolasie the other. Bit strong for that level.

If we kept Podence & Adama and signed Zaha, we could play them all up front. Lose the ball and have all three of them sitting on their arses throwing their arms about like they've been fouled.

Zaha does get kicked to shit tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back