• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last white person to win Olympic 100 metre sprint?

Alan Wells Moscow 1980!

And that was only because of the boycott. But there was a Russian(?) guy who was pretty rapid in the 70s IIRC. Valery Borzov, I think his name was.

Always have to be careful with the "biological differences" stuff. Easy to see patterns, but also easy to find yourself making some fairly harmful assumptions. Mostly because the way that humans socially divide "white" from "black" aren't the same as differences at the ethnic, regional, familial, or genetic level when it comes to humans, not to mention cultural and social influences.

Like, for one particularly good example, it's not that black people are often better at long distance-running, or even people from East Africa, or even Kenyans - it's specifically Kalenjins. There's 5-6 million of them, mostly in Kenya, and we're still not really sure why they're so good at running for long distances. Seems to be some combination of culture, traditional diet, geography (runners there often train at altitude), and biology, but there are plenty of other East Africans with just the same kinds of lifestyle and physiques who aren't as good, so who knows? And with sprinting, it's a similar thing - while clearly there's something about people with West African heritage (most slaves were from that region, and now the Caribbean produces plenty of great sprinters), there are still plenty of social and cultural factors that must play a role, because there's nothing biologically there that gives such an overwhelmingly big advantage that it would cause such a dominance that anyone can find. And I don't think it's a coincidence that athletes from poorer countries tend to get on better in sports that require less equipment and less-sophisticated facilities, too - unless white people are just inherently better at rowing, dressage, sailing, skiing, shooting, swimming, and so on...

That part of Northern Canada and Greenland is cross country skiing rather than downhill friendly, but they all use those snowmobiles instead.

As well as lazy racial stereotypes I think there's probably psychology and perceptions of colours involved too.

Dark is considered hard and strong, like ebony wood. White is considered light, less strong, like balsa wood.

Light side and dark side. Good and evil from films. I don't know if that idea has racial beginnings from religion though.

I have no idea if any if that has any merit or relevance but I can see how it would compound stereotypes.

Islanders make great rugby players, Im no expert but I believe its genetic characteristics and culture that were encouraged whilst living in isolation that help propagate this.

There's plenty of islanders that of course aren't fantastic players but in my experience they're carved from rock

Wigan into admin. That came from nowhere!

Even with the 12 points deduction they could still survive relegation if they can keep their current form going.

Normally with these things you hear whispers for weeks, even months that a club is close to going over the cliff. Absolutely nothing here. Just bang, announcement.

Wonder if the Brexit loving Pegleg will step in to save the day, the rugby ball headed cunt.

Fucks sake Wigan. Was just getting excited about Stoke getting relegated.

Little known fact about Pegleg, his career wasn't actually ended in that FA Cup final, he played for years after for Crewe.

Maybe he was just shit.

So Wigan were only taken over four weeks ago. The EFL Fit and Proper test must have been a good one.

12 point deduction confirmed.

The English Football League has said Wigan will be deducted 12 points.

The sanction will be applied at the end of this season if the Latics, 14th in the Championship, finish outside the bottom three after 46 games.

Should Wigan finish in the relegation zone, the penalty will be applied during the 2020-21 season instead.

Little known fact about Pegleg, his career wasn't actually ended in that FA Cup final, he played for years after for Crewe.

Maybe he was just shit.

What FA cup final? Did Dave Whelan play in an FA Cup final? And got injured, did he?

I think you'll find Norman Deeley "got him good and proper", as Pegleg writes in his shit book. Published after Norman Deeley died, as you can't libel the dead.

1g0zv.gif

I mean the uneducated might think some clogger went in with a shit challenge and came off worse through no fault of the opponent, but we know that Dave Whelan speaketh the truth.

In an exclusive interview with ITV Sport, Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan told Gabriel Clarke that he is still bitter about the "high" tackle – "a foot over the ball" – by Wolves winger Norman Deeley that broke his leg in the 1960 FA Cup Final. Neither Wolves nor Deeley apologised for the incident.

"It was a tough game then, and I tackled Norman Deeley and tackled him rough and tough, and he retaliated by coming over the ball," Whelan said. "He did not intend to break my leg, but if you're going over the ball, there's always a chance."

I mean make your own mind up. Either Dave Whelan is a fucking liar, or this is some other Dave Whelan and Norman Deeley involved in an unrelated incident in 1960 at Wembley. It could have happened.

Always have to be careful with the "biological differences" stuff. Easy to see patterns, but also easy to find yourself making some fairly harmful assumptions. Mostly because the way that humans socially divide "white" from "black" aren't the same as differences at the ethnic, regional, familial, or genetic level when it comes to humans, not to mention cultural and social influences.

Like, for one particularly good example, it's not that black people are often better at long distance-running, or even people from East Africa, or even Kenyans - it's specifically Kalenjins. There's 5-6 million of them, mostly in Kenya, and we're still not really sure why they're so good at running for long distances. Seems to be some combination of culture, traditional diet, geography (runners there often train at altitude), and biology, but there are plenty of other East Africans with just the same kinds of lifestyle and physiques who aren't as good, so who knows? And with sprinting, it's a similar thing - while clearly there's something about people with West African heritage (most slaves were from that region, and now the Caribbean produces plenty of great sprinters), there are still plenty of social and cultural factors that must play a role, because there's nothing biologically there that gives such an overwhelmingly big advantage that it would cause such a dominance that anyone can find. And I don't think it's a coincidence that athletes from poorer countries tend to get on better in sports that require less equipment and less-sophisticated facilities, too - unless white people are just inherently better at rowing, dressage, sailing, skiing, shooting, swimming, and so on...

I know the conversation has moved on, just wanted to say that this is an exceptional post.

I mean make your own mind up. Either Dave Whelan is a fucking liar, or this is some other Dave Whelan and Norman Deeley involved in an unrelated incident in 1960 at Wembley. It could have happened.

Whelan may be full of shit, but ow ow ow I hope I never see that gif again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back