• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ, how is that relevant or funny? Plenty of wolves supporters went out to Greece, or were going - would it be funny if some of them died?

This obsession with Liverpool supporters from some of fans is very small-time and very pathetic.

It’s grim. That and the sign on comments make me cringe so much.

Christ, how is that relevant or funny? Plenty of wolves supporters went out to Greece, or were going - would it be funny if some of them died?

This obsession with Liverpool supporters from some of fans is very small-time and very pathetic.

Don’t be so bloody ridiculous, I didn’t mean that at all and I’m surprised you couldn’t see that. The laughter was because, if what James had read/heard is true, then what I thought was an unrealistic premise in my first post has actually been acted upon.

If you would rein in the moral high horse that you and a few others go charging around this forum on you might see that effectively writing ‘Watching Liverpool play Madrid’ on 43 death certificates is utter nonsense when it could have been contracted in any number of ways. I didn’t make up the ‘Victim FC’ moniker, but if an attempt is being made by some of their supporters to canonize a raft of fans on the altar of Anfield using COVID-19 as an excuse, then in my view it’s an insult to the thousandfold others who have died and wants calling out.

If you want to ride to the rescue of anyone, make it the poor buggers who might now end up in hospital as a result of coming into contact with the morons who were at the Pier Head on Friday night, not the twats who will have put them there.

Andre Wisdom is in stable condition in the hospital after being stabbed during a robbery while visiting relatives in Liverpool.

Just seen a ridiculous stat on Twitter:

Between them, Stanley Matthews, Peter Shilton and Gianluigi Buffon have made at least 1 first team appearance in every season since 1931/32.

Does anyone know if this checks out?

Hmmm, there are definitely two sides of the coin though.

1) Trying to eliminate comments that work solely along the lines of racial stereotypes, which is definitely something to aim for
2) Finding offence where there is none, which is just tiresome

If Nigeria play in the World Cup and they defend like absolute clowns then it isn't racist for anyone to point that out, just because it was au fait 30-40 years ago to describe African teams as "defensively naive".

I would encourage you to read the study, Dan. It only looks at the 2019/2020 season in Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, and the Prem.

I'm just speaking generally (and not about what you personally say).

There is a lot of element 2 which annoys me. I mean it's not really damaging other than annoying me and possibly cheapening the debate, but it's out there.

I read the actual study yesterday and it is very damning:

Commentators are 6.59 times more likely to comment on the strength of players with darker skin tone than they are to comment on the strength of players with lighter skin tone.

Taking intelligence as an example, 62.60% of praise was directed towards players with lighter skin tone.

This flips when criticizing players for their intelligence, where 63.33% of the criticism is directed at players with darker skin tone.

Link - https://runrepeat.com/racial-bias-study-soccer

I'm just speaking generally (and not about what you personally say).

There is a lot of element 2 which annoys me. I mean it's not really damaging other than annoying me and possibly cheapening the debate, but it's out there.

Fair enough, and I don't really disagree.

It's an interesting subject. There can be a physical difference (more than just skin tone) between a typical black person and a typical white one. For example the worlds greatest sprinters do tend to be black. So it is easy (and lazy) to assume that Lukaku succeeds because of his physical prowess whereas someone like Grealish who is not physically dominating must therefore succeed because of intelligence.

Then we get to Adama. Early stories about him often mentioned the need for him to play near the touchline where Pulis was standing and the easy conclusion was that he was forgetful and lacked intelligence. Now we see his intelligence on the pitch and hear reports of his desire to constantly watch, listen, learn. Would we, and others, have had the same original impression if he was white?

To be fair, watching Adama in person, he wasn't the most switched on :icon_lol:

He did spend ages just standing on the halfway line waiting for someone to pass him the ball so he could run. It's so weird as spending so many years at Barcelona, you'd think he'd know the basics, but it was totally lacking. Neves and Jota in particular used to get so pissed off with him, visibly so.

Thankfully we have nailed that now.

Last white person to win Olympic 100 metre sprint?

Alan Wells Moscow 1980!

There can be a physical difference (more than just skin tone) between a typical black person and a typical white one.

Curious as to your source, as this bit is simply untrue.

Your point about Adama is salient, though. I'd also pose a thought experiment about Jack Grealish. I have a suspicion that he'd get absolutely torn to pieces for flopping left, right, and center were he black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back