• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forest Green have had there 5,000 seat wooden stadium approved

Macclesfield docked 6 points for failure to play crewe

Much fun reading Villa fans losing their shit at Dean Smith on Twitter this evening

I thought he was the second coming?

Nah - that will be Pochettino as they genuinely believe a big war-chest (errr - FFP fuck-knuckles?) will convince him to come to B6. They are totally fucked. Glorious.

In honesty they have 20 games to save themselves from disaster because the EFL are not going to look very kindly upon their finances if they do go down. And they can't flog the ground to themselves again.

I thought he was the second coming?

Championship Manager at best....no better than Bruce.....clueless....get rid and get Allegri or Poch in.

Clearly gained no confidence from beating Kindergarten FC in the week

I bet they are so pleased they gave him that massive contract extension just in case Arsenal were going to sniff around (owwwwww - my sides)

I took a read in Villa Talk, they are not happy. Enjoyed this comment in particular:

Clutching at straws here but could the language barrier be a factor?

Sure all our players are at least OK at English but we do have a squad with a diverse background from Egypt to Zimbabwe and France to Belgium to Brazil

They win next week and he is the hero again. Just fans being fickle fucks (it wasnt long ago Nuno was being told to take a long hard look at himself on here) but still, its funny to read

If you park the Villa bit for a moment, I like Dean Smith. Local manager who wants to play good football, but he's not learnt the lessons from his time at Brentford. When his team is better than the opposition they play in a way that is pleasant on the eye and will invariably win. He can't play a percentage game though, is too open against better opposition and doesn't have an alternative game plan. Happened down here against Brentford around New Year and was the same against Villa this season. Not massively different to Norwich

Nah - that will be Pochettino as they genuinely believe a big war-chest (errr - FFP fuck-knuckles?) will convince him to come to B6. They are totally fucked. Glorious.

In honesty they have 20 games to save themselves from disaster because the EFL are not going to look very kindly upon their finances if they do go down. And they can't flog the ground to themselves again.

You spent all of the last two seasons saying how they’d get screwed by FFP and it never happened, I don’t see why the football league would suddenly start caring if they went down. I don’t think they will, I don’t like them but I reckon they’ll survive.

They’ve signed utter shite as well. Now they obviously needed to get bodies in as a lot of the their ageing squad was released and their other good players were people they didn’t own.

But £25m on Wesley? I’d never seen him play, but a quick look at his goal record in an awful league tells you he’s going to be limited. And to not sign anyone else here is bizarre. El Ghazi was signed simply because they could as a squad player, but he’s actually starting games because Trezeguet is rubbish and Jota is average.

If Targett was rated then Saints wouldn’t have sold, certainly not for the fee and the same goes for Luiz. Mings has actually done ok, but we knew he wasn’t as good as they thought he was and he’s unsurprisingly injured.

Nakamba is rubbish and they’re now relying on Hause at the back. McGinn is massively overrated but he’s the best of a bad bunch so if he’s out long term then they’re in a bit of trouble. Particularly with 6 pointers before the transfer window reopens. But after spaffing all that money already have they got any room to spend more?

If Targett was rated then Saints wouldn’t have sold,

I have Targett down as a coward. Whenever I have seen him play in a game that is going against him or a player destroying him, he gets "injured" but recovers enough to play the next week

McGinn confirmed out for around three months with a fractured ankle.

I know it was much closer when SEB did it in 12/13 but it has that terminal feeling to me.

Realistically they need a new centre midfielder and striker as one is injured and the other horrifically out of his depth. Throw any complications with Mings and you're talking needing to buy the spine of a team in one January window without looking at other players like Luiz, El Ghazi, Engels and Nakamba.

I think they're in huge trouble to the extent if I were an interested party I'd make an offer for Grealish see if he can be unsettled and couldn't be blamed for jumping ship.

Grealish will see the season out and do one in the summer if they go down. With Smith it’ll be case of the board holding their nerve and trusting him to get them out the shit.
A poor Xmas may prove terminal for him tho, think the realisation is just starting to hit some Villa fans. Gut feeling is they’ll just about worm their way out. 3 from Watford, Norwich, Villa, Saints, Bournemouth, West Ham (maybe) and BHA (maybe) to go down.

I cant see past Watford, Norwich and Villa at the moment. Losing McGinn will hit them hard psychologically and probably even on the pitch which is a damning indictment when losing a Championship standard player looks like it will derail your season. I was talking to a Villa fan yesterday in the pub and he’s pretty much resigned to going down now (he’s actually quite sensible when it comes to football unlike most Villa fans I’ve met) and the realisation has hit that their squad is actually pretty shit and they wasted well over £100m in the summer.

Looking at the last 5 years, 2/3 in the zone at Xmas go down, but one stays up, so one of them will probably get out of it. If they don't win one of the next two then I can't see that being Villa

Watford looked good yesterday.

Watford looked good yesterday.
Huddersfield looked genuinely good in the 2-0 they handed us last year. Any given Saturday and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back