• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
In L’Equipe today, Gael Givet says Sam Allardyce tried to fire Blackburn’s players up for a game against Man United in 2010 by showing them clips from Gladiator and 300. “We were all like, ‘Ahhhhh!’ [mimics soldier with sword]. After 30 minutes, we were 3-0 down. We lost 7-1.”

:icon_biggrin: Top work from the gravy man there

Real Madrids cow shirt..

2bc79bc429e44151ff9b2d3e5804e038.jpg

I'm not comfortable with this. It's been tried through the judicial system twice and two jurys have heard all the evidence whereas I haven't. However if such a systematic cover up which goes to the very highest level of Government sees nobody prosecuted then that's a disgrace.

As for Duckenfield he's a liar and at best an incompetant disgrace.

It's really hard to comment on without hearing all the evidence (a lot of which you would imagine you really wouldn't want to hear).

I must say that some people were prosecuted. They weren't convicted.

I totally agree about his incompetence on the day, but what is coming out now rather points to those appointing him to that match on insufficient notice to get prepared.

For me, a large portion of the blame sits with the Chairman of Sheffield Wednesday. After our match with Spurs he was asked to make that area safer as people were at risk and said "bollocks - nobody died". And then put pen fences in that made the area even more dangerous. And he let the stadium still be considered even though it didn't have a safety cert, which the club secretary has got done for. Duckenfield couldn't cope and was utterly overwhelmed by events, and there is definitely some culpability in there, but the people putting him in that situation where he put innocent football fans into their horror should be just as much to blame.

Burden of proof, isn't it.

Can you put all that down to one man.

Duckenfield was clearly culpable to some degree (he even tacitly says so these days) but on a legal front it's a different matter.

Whilst the last inquest said that they were unlawfully killed the burden of proof in a criminal charge is higher.

Was Duckenfield responsible - clearly he was to a large degree, but there will have been others who played a part. Always going to be difficult to pin the whole thing on him & convict.

Gross negligence manslaughter on one individual when he had clearly also been left in the shit by wankers above him was always going to be a tough burden of proof. Doesn't make him a good guy or anything. He has been odious about this for thirty years and never seemed to show even an iota of contrition or regret.

Didn't the Taylor report come out of the Hillsborough incident. I'm not defending him but if a systematic review is required which brings in changes regarding how matches are policed, ticketed etc.

Seems harsh to hold one man culpable for systemic failures

The Taylor report came out of it yes. It looked pretty much specifically at ground safety.

And I have read the whole thing. It's not a fun read. But there is a huge chunk of it about Wolves v Spurs 1981 that shows that stand was massively unsafe 8 years before it cost lives.

The coroner found the victims to be unlawfully killed. So who unlawfully killed them?

Something odd going on at the PL.

Scudamore left and it took ages for them to even start looking for a replacement.

The two they've found since have both resigned without even starting the job.

Latest chap sort of had to resign. Some rather salacious private life stuff has come out involving a female ex work colleague.

Looks like Charlton are finally rid of Duchatelet. Good.

Just been on the Boro forum (no idea why), but there’s real trouble at mill there with Woodgate seemingly totally out of his depth and money haemorrhaging from Gibson’s pot - doesn’t seem that long ago that they came to Molineux as one of the favourites to go straight back up to the PL. Smacks of our own descent to League One.

Should he have worked for free? Ultimately he kept them up and they were very happy to promise the money to him - I would imagine a far amount of that is a bonus too.

Should he have worked for free? Ultimately he kept them up and they were very happy to promise the money to him - I would imagine a far amount of that is a bonus too.

No I'm not saying he should have worked for free. My point is that that it seems a huge amount considering the level that they were playing. I also think that supporting a winding up petition, rather than a possible CVA where you would think he could get something, is a poor stance showing in a way that the money isn't the point for him. I feel sorry for the supporters.

No I'm not saying he should have worked for free. My point is that that it seems a huge amount considering the level that they were playing. I also think that supporting a winding up petition, rather than a possible CVA where you would think he could get something, is a poor stance showing in a way that the money isn't the point for him. I feel sorry for the supporters.

I would imagine a lot of that was heavily weighted on him keeping them up, with their directors promising everything would be rosy if he did keep them up and they would have enough to pay him etc.

Don’t really no the merits of the options taking, but don’t most of these winding up petitions against football clubs end up with the club paying what they owe and carrying on?

Only two of the players from the weakened Liverpool team who played Arsenal in the last round are staying in the country for the 1/4 final of the League Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back