• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Another one signing in. At my heaviest, At 13st 4. Currently got calorie intake down to 1500, not feeling like I'm missing too much. Also smoke and booze free since new year's day. Once I'm two weeks off the fags I'll start exercising. Got a large brick shed in the new place, and got a cross trainer on the way, and will start insanity again. Never managed it for more than three weeks before, but I've got a wedding in April to look beautiful for!

Do share those tips. I did 29:30 for a 5k and would like to bring that down a bit. I don't like running much but I like competing against myself.

The advice thus far has been pretty much common sense TBH but it's still appreciated! Once I've got past my introductory sessions he said he'll tell me a bit more to progress.

Because I'm so unfit, he said to try and find somewhere flat to start off with - a playing field is ideal so I go to the one just off the Lea Vale Road/Albermarle Road/Melrose Avenue estate (if you know Norton?). It's about a mile to get there which - depending on my mood - I either walk to warm up or run if I'm feeling adventurous. No big hills as they'll fuck you up if you're not used to them. He also advised walking at least some of the way back to act as a warm down.

Also - don't run every day because you'll burn out. I've done Sun, Tues, Wed, Fri this week. And will do one tomorrow. So 2 days on, 1 day off.

I do roughly 3.2 miles which works out at just over 5k. And I'm now able to run just about all of it without utterly destroying myself. I think that's pretty good for just over a week. The best thing about it is now I'm back home and sat down, I don't feel in pain, I get a nice mild ache which tells me I've done something good! I was in agony after my first 2.

BTW, I'm using the Noom calorie counter, good free app

I'm using an app called RunKeeper - also free but I think you can pay for an upgraded version that goes into more detail.

I've been on a new workout schedule that is designed to help keep myself well fit and my body in good shape. I don't run every day I try to walk 4/5 miles on a weekend as a warm down after I've been to training which involved 75 squats, 75 star jumps, 40 sit ups, 20 normal push ups, 20 diamond push ups. Then after those are done 20 laps in both directions around a 14 x 14 ring on my tip toes.

It's an effective workout but due to time restraints I only get to do it once a week.

I've been on a new workout schedule that is designed to help keep myself well fit and my body in good shape. I don't run every day I try to walk 4/5 miles on a weekend as a warm down after I've been to training which involved 75 squats, 75 star jumps, 40 sit ups, 20 normal push ups, 20 diamond push ups. Then after those are done 20 laps in both directions around a 14 x 14 ring on my tip toes.

It's an effective workout but due to time restraints I only get to do it once a week.

Is that instead of your wrestling or in addition?

The advice thus far has been pretty much common sense TBH but it's still appreciated! Once I've got past my introductory sessions he said he'll tell me a bit more to progress.

Because I'm so unfit, he said to try and find somewhere flat to start off with - a playing field is ideal so I go to the one just off the Lea Vale Road/Albermarle Road/Melrose Avenue estate (if you know Norton?). It's about a mile to get there which - depending on my mood - I either walk to warm up or run if I'm feeling adventurous. No big hills as they'll $#@! you up if you're not used to them. He also advised walking at least some of the way back to act as a warm down.

Also - don't run every day because you'll burn out. I've done Sun, Tues, Wed, Fri this week. And will do one tomorrow. So 2 days on, 1 day off.

I do roughly 3.2 miles which works out at just over 5k. And I'm now able to run just about all of it without utterly destroying myself. I think that's pretty good for just over a week. The best thing about it is now I'm back home and sat down, I don't feel in pain, I get a nice mild ache which tells me I've done something good! I was in agony after my first 2.

I actually quite like the hills - I have a circular route which includes running up the hill from Bridle Road past the Forresters Arms in Wollaston and while the run up is a challenge, running down is an opportunity to relax a bit and on the second circuit it is about 2 miles into the run which means when I have done it the finish is relatively easy.

For those who want apps - I use myfitnesspal which is a web site and an app. It is free, has a decent database of food and you can scan bar codes too. I am doing 1620 calories a day net which is aiming at 1lb per week loss and generally speaking that's pretty much what I achieve.

I also have a cross trainer which I try to use on non-ruuning days for 30 minutes watching TV and I have got up to 3 minutes 30 on that stupid plank challenge.

My aim for the summer is to run the canal from Wollaston to Kidderminster which is pretty much totally flat but i'm a long way from that distance at the moment.

runningroutes.co.uk is a good website for mapping out new runs.

Running PAST the Forresters (and the Plough just down the hill) would be quite a challenge for me.

Running PAST the Forresters (and the Plough just down the hill) would be quite a challenge for me.

Keep your head down and don't breath. One of the benefits (drawbacks) of living in Wollaston in we have the greatest pubs....

One day TWF should have a pub crawl - Forresters, Plough, Unicorn, Grahams Place, Katie's, Exchange, Duke - a selection of the finest ales in the Black Country.

Keep your head down and don't breath. One of the benefits (drawbacks) of living in Wollaston in we have the greatest pubs....

One day TWF should have a pub crawl - Forresters, Plough, Unicorn, Grahams Place, Katie's, Exchange, Duke - a selection of the finest ales in the Black Country.

Hell yes. I was up there to watch the Gills game. I really like it up there - we popped into the Unicorn afterwards.

I shall be in the Royal Exchange tonight and am meeting the manager of the Duke during the day tomorrow.

:icon_lol:

This is the exact reason why I need to get fit again!!

If they ever do a remake of The Breakfast Club, James could play the Emilio Estevez role.

Day 1 of my 5 day juice detox starts today - should be a fun week!

Back