• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Bright is 21 in the first para and two paras later he's 19. #TopJourno

I wish the club wouldn't do this in an effort to placate the idiots in the fan base. It reads as one long excuse and comes across as rank amateur, especially the part on waiting for some other movement in the window.

We're not a championship club anymore we're at the top table and so it's on us to do the front running.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I suppose for the pant wetting section of our fanbase, it's nice to hear something - but then on the flip side, does that actually tell us anything? No. And will it stop them from pant wetting? No. So I'm not entirely sure what it achieves.

On the "small squad" stuff that we keep spouting. Whilst I understand that's the Manager's wish - I do think it's a risky strategy. We got very lucky with injuries last season - but it will only take one of Coady, Jota, Raul etc to pick up a long term injury and all of a sudden we are drastically weaker. We are putting a lot of trust in our fringe/youth players to carry us through, should something like that happen. I agree with giving those fringe/youth players an opportunity to show what they can do in the early Europa & cup games, but throwing them in to the Premier League for a prolonged period of time? I'm not sure about that.

Genuinely reading that, I'll be surprised if we sign more than 3 x senior players this window.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I suppose for the pant wetting section of our fanbase, it's nice to hear something - but then on the flip side, does that actually tell us anything? No. And will it stop them from pant wetting? No. So I'm not entirely sure what it achieves.

On the "small squad" stuff that we keep spouting. Whilst I understand that's the Manager's wish - I do think it's a risky strategy. We got very lucky with injuries last season - but it will only take one of Coady, Jota, Raul etc to pick up a long term injury and all of a sudden we are drastically weaker. We are putting a lot of trust in our fringe/youth players to carry us through, should something like that happen. I agree with giving those fringe/youth players an opportunity to show what they can do in the early Europa & cup games, but throwing them in to the Premier League for a prolonged period of time? I'm not sure about that.

Genuinely reading that, I'll be surprised if we sign more than 3 x senior players this window.
Coady was talking yesterday about how a lot of the squad are used to Championship football playing Sat, Tues, Sat so should be capable of Sun, Thurs, Sun. It's clearly the plan, the difference being in the Championship everyone else is doing the same.

I'm not worried about squad size to be honest, We are clearly after a CB and CF, and I see us signing a wing back and an attacking midfielder. Kilman and Ennis are very near the first team squad I reckon too. I think any team out of the top six who loses their best players struggle. If Leicester lost Vardy it would be an issue for them, if Everton lost Sigurdsson etc..

When we have a lot going at the start of the season I don't think loads of new signings will help. Our lack of injuries wasn't luck either, to be honest.

Coady was talking yesterday about how a lot of the squad are used to Championship football playing Sat, Tues, Sat so should be capable of Sun, Thurs, Sun. It's clearly the plan, the difference being in the Championship everyone else is doing the same.

That and the travelling. It will be interesting to see how we approach it in terms of squad rotation. Should be a lot more games for the fringe players which will help them be up to speed should we need them. Should we get a healthy lead in the first leg of a game where we then have to travel, will we leave people at home? I don't see Nuno doing that to be honest.

I'm not worried about squad size to be honest, We are clearly after a CB and CF, and I see us signing a wing back and an attacking midfielder. Kilman and Ennis are very near the first team squad I reckon too. I think any team out of the top six who loses their best players struggle. If Leicester lost Vardy it would be an issue for them, if Everton lost Sigurdsson etc..

When we have a lot going at the start of the season I don't think loads of new signings will help. Our lack of injuries wasn't luck either, to be honest.

Well we might have a good fitness team but we still were kind of lucky. Unless you don't believe in luck ha.

The main difference is the quality of the replacement that the top 6, or even the likes of Everton & Leicester have, compared to us, as it stands.

It was evident on multiple occasions last season that when we took the likes of Jota off the pitch, we were a completely different side. The FA Cup semi final being a prime example.

And we were definitely lucky to a degree. You can have the best fitness team in the world, but it only takes a stupid mistimed tackle or an awkward fall to break someones leg or put someone on the shelf for months. That didn't happen last season. Not sure what else you can call it, other than lucky?

If we sign only 3 but they are all clear upgrades, and we only let Costa go then the squad will have improved significantly

That and the travelling. It will be interesting to see how we approach it in terms of squad rotation. Should be a lot more games for the fringe players which will help them be up to speed should we need them. Should we get a healthy lead in the first leg of a game where we then have to travel, will we leave people at home? I don't see Nuno doing that to be honest.
I've expressed my concerns on Europe before so I'm not going to go over old ground, but I think at some point with a squad that size we are going to have to prioritise the league or Europe assuming we make it to the Group phase. Injuries aside, I'm not concerned by the pre group qualifying part. It's essential we get at least one more forward to protect Raul, but I'm confident we will.

The main difference is the quality of the replacement that the top 6, or even the likes of Everton & Leicester have, compared to us, as it stands.

It was evident on multiple occasions last season that when we took the likes of Jota off the pitch, we were a completely different side. The FA Cup semi final being a prime example.

And we were definitely lucky to a degree. You can have the best fitness team in the world, but it only takes a stupid mistimed tackle or an awkward fall to break someones leg or put someone on the shelf for months. That didn't happen last season. Not sure what else you can call it, other than lucky?

Leicester regularly bring Iheanacho on, who is awful. if Vardy gets injured for a prolonged period it will be very difficult for them.

I think part of what our fitness team does so well is not only prevent muscle injuries but also make our players more robust. Someone like Jota, or Raul gets hammered every week. I look at our squad and we have so many strong, robust players as well as high levels of technical ability.

The challenge is in the increased number of fixtures and travelling, of course, but how we manage and rotate the players will be equally as important as having a bigger squad. If we sign three players that improve our first eleven/squad I will be delighted.

I've expressed my concerns on Europe before so I'm not going to go over old ground, but I think at some point with a squad that size we are going to have to prioritise the league or Europe assuming we make it to the Group phase. Injuries aside, I'm not concerned by the pre group qualifying part. It's essential we get at least one more forward to protect Raul, but I'm confident we will.

We will sign a forward, I'm pretty confident of that.

I also wouldn't be too surprised if we play 3-4-3 in Europe at times, which allows us to utilise the squad players like Cav, Traore and Costa if he is still here.

If we get to the groups and we can get some early wins in to take us through that it would help massively I think. It won't be easy but I'd much rather that than a season without Europe.

The travelling only becomes an issue if it’s Kazakhstan or over that way. Even Ukrainian or Belarusian isn’t much of an issue.

I also think the squad size will be fine. Any team who loses their best player struggles (except Man City). Lose a couple and your buggered.

The injury record isn’t a fluke either, and yes you can’t budget for impact injuries but with the way the games played these days those long term impact injuries are rare.

The qualifiers are glorified pre season, won’t be an issue. And then if we get there it depends how seriously we want to take the group stage. Wed be in pot 3 so could get a tough draw, but at the same time some of the pot 1 and 2 teams are terrible. Just need to avoid the big nations and we could have an easier route where we can rotate.

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...hare-could-be-in-for-wolves-chance-in-europe/

If you don't like Timmy statements without quotes then this isn't for you, but in summary:
Bright to get Euro chance (probably). Still likely to go back on loan though
Costa to speak with Leeds, we'd prefer to sell but will accept a large loan fee
Cav not going if Costa does
Ronan staying in Slovakia
Giles eventually off to Shrews

Would love to know how and why they seem to get one bit of gossip that's obviously untrue and still run with it, every summer.

1) Please explain how mid-table League One, groundless Coventry City have £600,000 to spend on one player

2) If there are Championship clubs interested, why would he go there

Back