• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Must admit to being exceptionally disappointed to not have a new striker.

From what I've seen (fairly limited) Bonatini is decent, but not as good as we could hope for. I would have liked better. I will cut the club some slack over PSV being massive shits mind.

No problems with Dicko leaving though. He didn't fit and it was a decent price.

You reckon? Because we've let Nouha Dicko go and we'll have to bring Ivan Cavaleiro on up front instead?

Can't see it.

Leo, Jota, Costa, Bright, Cav, Zyro, Marshall, Wilson.

You need to make a front three out of those for four months. It's hardly panic stations is it. I'd rather have brought in Locadia, Aboubakar, Afobe or whoever as well, but you can't have everything. People get ahead of themselves at times, we're in the Championship. How many PL or even CL players do you think we can sign?

I'm not saying the two events are related, but it would just add fuel to the fire.

"We didn't do X because we didn't sign a striker"
"If Fosun had signed a striker we would Benin this position"

If we go and thrash the next two (which we should) all is forgotten and all is rosy.

I'm not saying the two events are related, but it would just add fuel to the fire.

"We didn't do X because we didn't sign a striker"
"If Fosun had signed a striker we would Benin this position"

If we go and thrash the next two (which we should) all is forgotten and all is rosy.

You can't pander to fans' kneejerk reactions though. Where would that leave you :icon_lol: We'd have been signing identikit Paul Ince "pass, point and bawl" cunts for 10 years for a start.

Like I say - we *should* have got this done. But I'm not going to lose sleep over Dicko going (less still Mason and the others) and I know we did have a deal done, just the selling club decided to act like wankers at the last minute. It's not like we just sort of winged it and hoped we'd get someone. You can blame the strategy of going to the end of the window with it but then again there are a lot of factors in play and none of us know the full story at this stage. Locadia might well have been our #1 target for months. In that case you couldn't blame them for going to the wire with it. What Nuno wants, Nuno gets.

We have a good squad now, it could be better of course but as I say - we are in the Championship. Show me one flawless Championship squad from the last 20 years. Newcastle won the league last season and had some right shit in the ranks.

Some idiot owned by Pat Murphy on Twitter..
3bc9f90a8679fd6e6f0f02cceaa32818.jpg

According to transfermarkt Cheick Diabete hasn't got a club. Could be an option, surely you would love this.
He doesn't have the first touch we need. If we were playing direct, sure. But he's more about flick-ons than hold-ups.

The first post I come across when I log on to Facebook is.....

"Fosun out. They have shown their naivety this week by putting too much faith and trust in the crooked Mendes and thinking that he could provide us with a top class striker like Aboubakar. The reality is that top class strikers dont want to play in the 2nd tier.! :yikes:

:jack:

I've stopped following all Wolves groups on Facebook, I just get angry immediately

Looking at the comments on twitter and farcebook is rather cringy and infuriating! This is the best summer we've had as Wolves fans yet some still aren't pleased and are calling for fosuns head! So lets forget about signing the likes of Neves and go back to signing the Greg Halfords and Leon Clarkes of this world :smack:

Ndiaye went through on a season long loan

Something I keep seeing is the moaning about 'selling to rivals'. When did that crazy logic bollocks start? The championship is competitive and yet full of surprises, did anyone identify Huddersfield as rivals before start of last year? Or Brentford when they came up with us? Do we just not sell to anyone in this division then from now on?

The club have not only made some unbelievable signings but have cleared out some surplus. Striker upgrade would have been ideal yes, but it didnt work out.

I've stopped following all Wolves groups on Facebook, I just get angry immediately
Saw some idiot moaning on Wolves News that the Leeds game had been moved to the Weds and how much trouble there'd be because of it being a night game. Before someone pointed out it had always going to be a night game.

Ah well, there's always January - still half a season to go when that window opens and if we are anywhere near going up Fosun won't mess about. I know you always overpay in January, but that pales into insignificance compared to reaching the Prem. Warnock must be a smug bastard this morning - he's held on to Zohore.

Something I keep seeing is the moaning about 'selling to rivals'. When did that crazy logic bollocks start? The championship is competitive and yet full of surprises, did anyone identify Huddersfield as rivals before start of last year? Or Brentford when they came up with us? Do we just not sell to anyone in this division then from now on?

The club have not only made some unbelievable signings but have cleared out some surplus. Striker upgrade would have been ideal yes, but it didnt work out.
I agree when it comes to sales, take the money from whoever will give it to you. I disagree when it comes to loans though. It's not much of a jump to conclude that Fulham will be in and around the Top 6 and we have loaned them a player that in theory improves them, not withstanding the fact that I think we could have used Graham ourselves

I agree when it comes to sales, take the money from whoever will give it to you. I disagree when it comes to loans though. It's not much of a jump to conclude that Fulham will be in and around the Top 6 and we have loaned them a player that in theory improves them, not withstanding the fact that I think we could have used Graham ourselves

That's the only disappointing thing for me. Giving away Graham to a top 6 team isn't the brightest thing to do.

I felt like he could be an option in that front 3, however he is still very inexperienced and I don't know who you'd leave out for him, so his role was potentially impact sub. I am not sure if Nuno is keen on him neither and so far I explicitly trust Nuno and his decisions. It's a decent loan for him in terms of standard and expectation too and there very well may be a fee involved? If he scores for Fulham against a side in the top 6 though for example that potentially benefits us.

As the dust settles after what was overall an excellent transfer window, am I surprised and disappointed we didn't sign a striker? Yes I am, primarily because, as others have said, that the sense of positivity and hope garnered from the recruitment of Nuno, his staff, the incoming players that are clearly quality additions, the positive start and most encouragingly the way we are playing, forward thinking intelligent and definitely in my mind possibly the most exciting in the many decades of following Wolves. It does appear a missed opportunity right now.

However, we don't know exactly why they were unable to recruit the striker they wanted, and whilst it does appear naive or ill conceived not to have secured who they want, well before the last day, where you are playing a high risk game if no deal is secured and are left vulnerable to what appears by PSV to have been a last minute change of heart, we are where we are! There are plenty of positive options up front and hopefully they will be enough to keep us in contention for strengthening in January.

Some of the comments I see from Wolves fans are disproportionately negative and are petulant, recriminatory and knee jerk and people need to take a deep breath and consider how far we have travelled since the end of last season. I have never known such an exciting close season and felt such optimism as this season, and I can be as pessimistic as any Wolves fan!

We have an excellent coach, we have a squad that is the strongest in aeons and we have moved out a significant amount of players who we all felt lacked quality. Plus we have money to address things in January if needed. Yesterday felt underwhelming but overall we are on an upward curve and whilst I am sure we will have peaks and troughs I feel we have a lot to enjoy and look forward to.

Nash saying we pulled out of the Locadia deal as agent fee and signing on fee were too much, and also that we made approaches for Martin and Remy

Back