• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

He then specifically refers to us to be honest Frank

There is a lot of truth in what he says. Ourselves and Boro are pushing the market up. I can remember us being rather pissed off at Fulham for some purchases that made it difficult. However, the difference SPECIFICALLY TO US, is we aren't actually affecting the Championship market. These players simply aren't available to the rest of the Championship so whatever they cost makes no difference to the other 23.

He's wrong about Joey Garner being a bargain as well. A free transfer would be too much money.

Can't disagree with Mick. He's right, £15m for a defensive midfielder at Championship level is absurd. He admitted he'd spend it if he had it - I completely agree with what he's said, to be honest.

Would be spend it well though?

Mick is at his absolute best getting a team together on a shoestring that performs better than the sum of its parts. When he had money with us in the top flight his spending was rather hit and miss (Fletcher and Doyle being the big hits).

Can't disagree with Mick. He's right, £15m for a defensive midfielder at Championship level is absurd. He admitted he'd spend it if he had it - I completely agree with what he's said, to be honest.

Absolutely.

I think there a few things about our situation that the mainstream media, pundits and other managers are missing.

The first Paddy has mentioned is that we are in a unique position with regards to who we have access to, they wouldn't come to the Championship in any other set of circumstances. Secondly, we are buying those players at the lower end of their real valuation. Thirdly, due to who their agent is barring injury we could get our money back as a worse case any time we want to. Fourthly, we are in this position in the first place because our ownership are fortunate enough to have access to the relevant funds in up front. They aren't borrowing or mortgaging against the club because of the nature of what their business is.

There's a world of difference between what we are doing and Boro spending £15m on a striker with a questionable injury record or Villa giving a 35 year old north of £3m in wages.

I think the championship market is basically changed forever. The teams coming down now have such clout that the market is higher. And the only teams to compete are those that are loaded such as ourselves.

I think parachute payments need to be addressed. They aren't doing what they were brought in to do anymore.

I think parachute payments need to be addressed. They aren't doing what they were brought in to do anymore.

Nope. They were brought in because a couple of clubs nearly went under following relegation, because of the way everything was structured.

If you spend all your PL money now then frankly the message should be "fuck you, how stupid can you be". The landscape is vastly different now to how it was in 2012 let alone 2002.

if we had none and everyone else was spending i'd complain about it too. :)

this is down to what happens in the prem. if money wasn't so plentiful there to make it the promised land, prices wouldn't be so high.

who's actually spent the most to get to the Prem anyway? - anyone know what Man City spent. i know it's a while ago now so may be there are better examples.

Bournemouth ran up £30m of debt in one season and their wage bill was about 300% of their turnover.

Little old Bournemouth. Everyone (bar us) loved them. Now, the top flight hate their small stadium.

Bournemouth ran up £30m of debt in one season and their wage bill was about 300% of their turnover.

Little old Bournemouth. Everyone (bar us) loved them. Now, the top flight hate their small stadium.

did everyone really love them? they seemed to get penalties every week, usually magicked up from very little. spawny cheating gits.

He'd be a classic Bristol City signing and they always overpay too. Fulham aren't that stupid, reads like an agent planted piece

I really hope HITC choose this as their one story per window that they get right.

I can deal with him being mediocre at everything, I knew that before we signed him. His attitude is fucking shit though. You can't be that ordinary and also be so passive.

Mind you...'powerful striker'? I've got more power in my vacuum.

He'd be a classic Bristol City signing and they always overpay too. Fulham aren't that stupid, reads like an agent planted piece
O'Rourke has retweeted it. He normally only does that with the stories that have some depth to them.

O'Rourke has retweeted it. He normally only does that with the stories that have some depth to them.

Was about to post this.

Brizzle are really going to struggle this season - they'd have gone down without Abraham's goals last time around, and Joe Mason really isn't much of a substitute for him.

I'd say Diedhiou would do well there, but their manager went on about how "strong and fast" he is... Strong he is, fast he's not. If they try to play like Famara is quick, well, it won't work.

I could go on for ages about the "fast and strong" stuff, though. As I have before.

Back