• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Wed 0 - 1 Wolves: Verdict thread

I'm sorry but I'm going to say it... If Nuno feels we need an "agricultural" centre back in the team I would rather it be Danny.

In the first five minutes we had something like "Saiss to Coady, to Boly, to Saiss, to Coady, to Bennett, HOOF!
He should have been sent off and in my opinion may still get a charge from the FA for his knee and kick at Rhodes that led to the running battle. He also seemed to target Rhodes when he "fell on him" that lead to his booking.
We have a better "lump" than him in Danny Batth but it's just imo

Bennett is our most skilled player when it comes to the dark arts.

Bennett is getting a 3 game ban of that I'm sure and he can't complain, he's lucky he didn't cost us in the game, by being sent off at the time.

With Cav, there is a fine line between looking casual and selfish and mercurial, the only difference really being the end result. Take the chance he had towards the end when he should have fed Costa, not massively different from the Bolton goal where he shot from outside the box when there we probably better options, the difference being the end result. With a player like him you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Jota looks like all his beltings are starting to take an affect and Bonatini looks leggy. If fit next week I'd be tempted to bring Baz back and Vinagre on the left in front of him and Bright as the link man, giving Jota and Bonatini a bit of a rest. Mick will probably play like Sunderland did, so they'd both be good options to bring off the bench if required. They certainly don't look like they have 4 games in 11 games in them, so need managing appropriately with the aim of having our best side on the pitch at Bristol.

I actually thought he would sub Bennett at HT but imagine he had a massive talk with him at the break. Not the best ballplayer I have seen in my days but defensively he is a bit more than ok. On the game, we didnt play that well but werent teoubled much either..great finish from Neves to just calmly place it near the post..Boly is vital but Coady MOM for me(never thought I would write that)..also Doc had a good game, if we had another good forward this was the game to bring him on as Bonatini was almost invisible..still 3 pts and in Nuno we trust! :) Was it a pen on Jota?

I actually thought he would sub Bennett at HT but imagine he had a massive talk with him at the break. Not the best ballplayer I have seen in my days but defensively he is a bit more than ok. On the game, we didnt play that well but werent teoubled much either..great finish from Neves to just calmly place it near the post..Boly is vital but Coady MOM for me(never thought I would write that)..also Doc had a good game, if we had another good forward this was the game to bring him on as Bonatini was almost invisible..still 3 pts and in Nuno we trust! :) Was it a pen on Jota?
No.

Fairness to Bennett he sorted his head at half time and looked very solid second half. Coady motm for me solid and commanding at the back and shows real leadership qualities. Starting to become one of first names on the team sheet.
Good to see the only thing opposition fans (mainly Villa) can dig at us for is how many fans we took last night.

I'm sorry but I'm going to say it... If Nuno feels we need an "agricultural" centre back in the team I would rather it be Danny.

In the first five minutes we had something like "Saiss to Coady, to Boly, to Saiss, to Coady, to Bennett, HOOF!
He should have been sent off and in my opinion may still get a charge from the FA for his knee and kick at Rhodes that led to the running battle. He also seemed to target Rhodes when he "fell on him" that lead to his booking.

Bennett is a much better centre half than Danny Batth. Danny was dreadful when he came on.

Miranda and Hause are better than both of them though so I'd rather one of them played.

Fairness to Bennett he sorted his head at half time and looked very solid second half. Coady motm for me solid and commanding at the back and shows real leadership qualities. Starting to become one of first names on the team sheet.
Good to see the only thing opposition fans (mainly Villa) can dig at us for is how many fans we took last night.
There are enough people who will go to a Wolves game almost irrespective of what the price and circumstances are that means that something which amounts to a protest last night just ends up looking a shit following. I'm certainly not criticising them as by and large they are the same people who follow us when we are really shit and are the true hardcore and lifeblood, but £33 on a Friday night, the week before Xmas for a game on TV is a disgrace even if it's not the most we will pay this year.

There are enough people who will go to a Wolves game almost irrespective of what the price and circumstances are that means that something which amounts to a protest last night just ends up looking a $#@! following. I'm certainly not criticising them as by and large they are the same people who follow us when we are really $#@! and are the true hardcore and lifeblood, but £33 on a Friday night, the week before Xmas for a game on TV is a disgrace even if it's not the most we will pay this year.

I agree and Sheffield Wednesday having been doing this for a few years now.

There are enough people who will go to a Wolves game almost irrespective of what the price and circumstances are that means that something which amounts to a protest last night just ends up looking a shit following. I'm certainly not criticising them as by and large they are the same people who follow us when we are really shit and are the true hardcore and lifeblood, but £33 on a Friday night, the week before Xmas for a game on TV is a disgrace even if it's not the most we will pay this year.

If the game wasn't fairly local to me (Especially as I'd been in Leeds during the day) I probably wouldn't have gone! However I'm glad I did as I bumped into Bully, Don Goodman and Robbie Dennison!

Even though there have been differences between the last three games in how the opposition teams have setup snd played, there’s been a similarity between them in how we’ve played. I thought at first the best comparison I could use was that it felt like these were friendlies, and there’s been a bit of... not complacency, but nevertheless not as much urgency in our play as we’ve seen. But now I think the better comparison is more like when a Premier League team goes away to a lower-league opponent in a cup, and struggles to crack them open - it’s frustrating to see quality attackers not quite clicking, or being targeted so explicitly as a nullification tactic, but regardless the obvious gap in quality means the better team will grind something out, or make its own moment of magic to unlock things when it’s necessary, more often than not.

Neves or Coady MOTM for me. Coady’s organisation in particular was key, it’s why we were so solid and relatively untroubled.

£33 on a Friday night, the week before Xmas for a game on TV is a disgrace even if it's not the most we will pay this year.
I reckon they’ll be a good chance Leeds away will be more and Sky will also have that one on their radar to broadcast.

I am mildly concerned that we've created very few proper chances over the last three games. I agree that the schedule is catching up to the front three who are not getting any rest,and that it might be worth some rotation happening now. I do also still wonder if this formation truly brings the best out of our forward players. We rarely seem to break down well set up teams - more score a set piece and hit them on the break as they are forced to come at us. It is hard to say we deserved to win that, I think a draw would have been a fair result.
Wasn't convinced by the subs either. Moving Bennett to wing back and Doherty to the left killed the threat down both flanks, so the front three were left totally isolated. I'm not sure it made us any more solid either, as Danny had a stinker. And bringing N'Diaye on into the front three? I know it was only for three minutes but he does this to sure the team up and it again kills any attacking threat. Ultra defensive just seems unneccessary.
Not meant as a rant but I do think there are a couple of things that might need looking at.

That said, we are absolutely marvellous at the back. What's the fewest goals conceded in a season at this level? I again think I'd bring in Hause for Bennett, particuarly if the suspension does materialise. Ruddy barely ever has a save to make. When you've got such a stingy defence, all it takes is Ruben Neves to pass it into the corner and you're always likely to get the three points. Certainly at no point did I ever think we were likely to concede.
Coady MOTM for me. Read the game wonderfully and sniffed out danger so quickly. Boly and Neves with honourable mentions.

The lack of chances and fluency going forward is a slight concern. We have 8 days before the next game though, so wouldn't be rotating any of them. If we go a couple of goals up against Ipswich then bring Jota/Bonatini and Doherty off for sure.

The lack of chances and fluency going forward is a slight concern. We have 8 days before the next game though, so wouldn't be rotating any of them. If we go a couple of goals up against Ipswich then bring Jota/Bonatini and Doherty off for sure.

What a bizarre post.

We could and should have scored at least 3 at Blues, one goal against Sunderland would have opened the floodgates and we could easily have scored at least one more goal last night. Had Doherty still been at RWB instead of Bennett on one particular break away that would have been a certain goal too as there were two in the box to square to for a tap in.

Despite Sheffield Wednesday's form they have lost one game at home all season. We have gone there and restricted them to one effort on target. John Ruddy hasn't had to clean his kit for three weeks.

We aren't going to be carving sides open every single week and having 20 shots on target. Even Man City don't do it - their games against Huddersfield and West Ham perfect examples. With our defence as stubborn as it is we only need that one but of magic to win us a game, and luckily we have that in abundance.

We need 13 wins from the remaining 24 games to get us to 90 points which would be enough for automatic promotion. We'll do that without breaking sweat. We're up, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Goodness knows what Bennett was thinking of. Had the referee seen the incident he should have been sent off. I expect Bennett to face an FA charge and recieve a three game ban, and he can have no complaints if that happens.

We created 2 excellent chances against Blues as well as the goal so it’s only really the last 2 games with a bit of a lack of chances made. I’d bring Costa in for either Cav or Jota on Saturday to try and recreate that spark. We’re still solid as fuck though and are a threat from set pieces so we have a lot going for us even if the front 3 don’t click. Maybe time to get Bright more involved again too

Back