• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Wed 0 - 1 Wolves: Verdict thread

Not seen any of the game, only followed it on here but are the comments of 'played poorly' a bit over the top? perhaps not as good as previously but controlling the game? BBC stats show even possession with us having 9 shots compared to 5 for Owls with both only having one on target.....I realize stats don't tell the whole story

Defensively we were superb. Going forward things didn't click and we were sloppy in possession at times. Wouldn't say we played poorly, some credit to Sheff Wed, in the first half they were working extremely hard and played well up to our defensive third.

How long is this Carvahal interview? It's like a leaving interview!

Thought we looked better with Costa on, Cav had an off day today. Our movement up front wasn't quite right today, we should have been pulling their defence around more.

We played poorly, there's nothing wrong with that, it happens. I wouldn't say it was an over-reaction, I'm not saying we are a poor team, it was a poor performance, however. We defended well but Wednesday could and should have struck early on. Our ball retention wasn't great and we offered little going forwards. Do I expect this to be a recurring theme? Absolutely not.

We played poorly, there's nothing wrong with that, it happens. I wouldn't say it was an over-reaction, I'm not saying we are a poor team, it was a poor performance, however. We defended well but Wednesday could and should have struck early on. Our ball retention wasn't great and we offered little going forwards. Do I expect this to be a recurring theme? Absolutely not.

Don't agree with this. Yes they had the ball in good areas but created next to nothing. In no way should they have struck early on

We didn’t play well but even still we looked far more threatening when going forward than Sheff Wed did.

Yeah. Never felt like they were going go score really.

Sky sports reported that for the first time in our history we have won four away games in a row without conceding a goal. While not doubting them, is this correct?

By no means do I think it was possible due to volume of chances but Reach had an absolute peach of a chance that he knocked wide, it may have been my nerves but when the ball fell to him I thought it was destined to be a goal.

Regardless of how bad we play we never look like conceding. Wednesday going direct played into our hands if anything. We looked comfortable for that last 15.

Forgetting Bennett’s 5 mins of madness, he was solid as a rock. His distribution was also pretty good. He gave the ball away a few times but no worse then Boly, Saiss, Jota, Bonatini, Cav who are all technically superior. It’s no coincidence that his introduction to the team has seen us be so solid.

Sky sports reported that for the first time in our history we have won four away games in a row without conceding a goal. While not doubting them, is this correct?

Timmy has said the same, so must be true...

Cardiff have quite a few injuries tomorrow. Let's hope they drop points.

Tim also reports that we've now won as many games as in whole of last season

Just shows how well balanced a side we have really we can be spectacular at times but can now win ugly and look solid defensively.

Sycophantia - most of those shots were miles away from goal, we were massively disjointed going forwards, one shot on target was a good representation tonight.

Cheers......its good that while we may not be quite on it going forward atm, we look so solid at the back, tbh at the start of the season looking at Nunos history, I thought we would be having far more of these 'defensively tight 1-0 wins'

It is.

My new target for the season - Nuno to remove Hoddle from the Wolves records books. Still upsets me he has his name next to a piece of Wolves history

Felt the front three looked leggy tonight, pretty sure we will see Helder in next week, prob for Cav but Jota looks a little jaded to me.

However a good away win, never threatened, met Bully and Nuno's Gold was pretty pleasant for beer in an away end!

If anyone were to judge Wolves from seeing only their last 3 performances they'd be thinking 'What is all the hype about?' because in all honesty we have not been good. But the mark of a championship winning side is that even in their poor runs of form they still pick up points, and 7 points from 3 distinctly average performances is is championship winning material.

Personally I thought tonight was the worst I've seen Wolves play from the 5 games I've seen (the last 3 plus Fulham and Villa). I'm not sure we were deserving of the 3 points from that performance, though defensively we were strong.

Coady MOTM for me. Didn't put a foot wrong. What a transformation he has undergone. Flawless in almost every game I've seen.

Back