• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation 24/25 Thread

Tony Towner

Reaction score
Time for this. We are in the bottom 3 and probably not getting out any time soon. Southampton look like Kompany's Burnley and will likely suffer the same fate, but Leicester and Ipswich both look like they have more fight in them than last year's relegation fodder.

I still don't think we are going down, but do still think 15th is our ceiling and relegation is certainly possible. Not being clinical up front and conceding awful goals at the back is a recipe for a relegation battle. An average PL team would have seen the game out today and I'm not having the first being a fluke goal, defend as deep as we did and you are inviting it.

We have a middle 3rd midfield and forward line, a bottom 5 defence and a manager whose in game management is woeful. We need the first two to mitigate the issues of the latter two to stay up

Who knows?
We show some good signs but then keep giving stupid goals away. Unless we button that up and keep it tighter then it will always be a struggle.

I'm not particularly bothered about it though as we've been here several times before. Just enjoy the ride for what it is.

Obviously you want to stay in the Prem but it really has become 3 separate leagues in itself. I will say that VAR has been better this season though with less controversy. At least we can't blame that.

Still early days though. 4 games in. Plenty of time to do something about it. No panic here.

I’m deeply concerned that we are cooked. I like our XI today and the forwards as a group (Forbs pending, nice skillz today though), but everywhere else we’re not just an injury away from collapsing, we’re a sub away.

I have no faith that whoever is calling the shots on transfers understands our problems. For whatever reasons that may be. I’ve also run out of faith in O’Neil figuring out the defensive madness he invites with his system. André will help paper over that, but he can’t play every minute.

Pft, Danny Rose says wim gunna be ok and Theo Walcot thinks Larsen is a handful and a good striker.

We could have Brazil Ronaldo up front and there would still be issues as our defence is about as sturdy as piss-covered Andrex.

We have the player in Andre that will enable us to play 4 at the back, yesterday was ok for 75 mins, a lucky deflection from a centre half shooting 30+ yards away, which if any one told me Schar would be taking pot shots from distance, i would have been delighted.

The 2nd goal was as annoying as fuck.
No centre midfielder around when Barnes came in side.
Fucking useless slow fuckwit just letting Barnes walk past him.

I agree with pretty much everyone, Doherty should be no where near the 1st team

Just noticed that GO has now lost 50% of the Premier League games he has managed us for

We'll go down with GoN in charge.

He can't win a game of league football and that's a terrible habit to have.

What the fuck was Hobbs doing giving him a long contract.
Long contract , short contract , makes little difference I would have thought .

If O' Neil gets sacked say on 31st October , it's not as if they have to pay him off for the remaining 3 years and 8/9 months of the deal . There surely are clauses there whereby his pay off is related to the number of points he has picked up post signing the deal .

Long contract , short contract , makes little difference I would have thought .

If O' Neil gets sacked say on 31st October , it's not as if they have to pay him off for the remaining 3 years and 8/9 months of the deal . There surely are clauses there whereby his pay off is related to the number of points he has picked up post signing the deal .
We don't know any of that. I'm not sure I trust Hobbs to get this right.

You would negotiate a termination on a percentage of time remaining.

As ten weeks ago GON had a shorter contract on a smaller wage, then the termination amount will still be greatly increased for absolutely no good reason that I can see.

It's actually impressive how the club manage to get every single decision wrong at the moment.

We don't know any of that. I'm not sure I trust Hobbs to get this right.
I'm unsure on Hobbs as well . He nabbed Andre you could argue , but to counter that he signed Doherty .

I have no proof of the above , but crikey , what club hands you a long term deal in August and then pays you off in full the following October .....because you are not good enough ? . There have to be clauses in there .

I'm unsure on Hobbs as well . He nabbed Andre you could argue , but to counter that he signed Doherty .

I have no proof of the above , but crikey , what club hands you a long term deal in August and then pays you off in full the following October .....because you are not good enough ? . There have to be clauses in there .

There will be break clauses but the point stands that there was no reason to give him a new deal, as those break clauses will still now cost us more than if we hadn't done it. When he became manager we had already given him a ridiculous 3 year contract so he still had 2 years to run anyway.

I think Hobbs is very good at identifying talent but the rest of it is new to him which is what I am not sure about.

Can't be giving contacts to Doherty or GoN without evidence they can do the job. That's madness.

Hobbs signed Doherty as cheap cover because we'd spaffed all of our budget on Cunha that window.

But the fact the manager keeps using him now we have a good young player sitting there on the bench is the most infuriating part.

Cunha was both the window and accounting period before. Doherty was signed in the same one we sold Neves, Coady, Jimenez, Collins, Nunes etc

Hobbs signed Doherty as cheap cover because we'd spaffed all of our budget on Cunha that window.

But the fact the manager keeps using him now we have a good young player sitting there on the bench is the most infuriating part.
After yesterday, I think Lima will get his opportunity. He has his issues defensively so we will need to be careful who we pitch him against but attacking wise, a huge improvement on what we have.

Cunha was both the window and accounting period before. Doherty was signed in the same one we sold Neves, Coady, Jimenez, Collins, Nunes etc
Cunha's fee was the 1st July wasn't it so included in the same as Neves etc?

Loan with the obligation to sign in July triggered after 3 games, done to kick his fee down the road. Like we have done with Mr Strand

Back