• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert confirmed as new manager!

I don't think the captaincy in of itself is especially important, I didn't feel it was that beneficial to us when Paul Ince was bawling at his team mates non-stop (frequently after his own fucking errors). There's a fundamental lack of organisation in how we're set up defensively (the back four itself, how we press the ball, what our midfield is supposed to be doing, the lot), has been all season. Batth, Iorfa, Stearman, Hause, Ikeme and Doherty have all been in the team when we've gone on runs of being extremely tight at the back previously in this division, it's down to the management.

Lambert made Grant Hanley and his Easter Island head look halfway reasonable last season so hopefully he can sort us out. We do need new personnel at the back, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to have these players doing better than conceding in the first 15 minutes of every game.

We can't keep giving shit teams head starts. I really don't care who starts who plays what formation,who is captain so long as it works and we win games

Captaincy is massively overplayed by some. It shouldn't be down to one player on the pitch to orangise everyone else, they're professionals, they should know what's expected of them and be capable of sticking to that plan.

Captaincy is massively overplayed by some. It shouldn't be down to one player on the pitch to orangise everyone else, they're professionals, they should know what's expected of them and be capable of sticking to that plan.

But you overestimate their abilities. Williamson was an average defender but his chat at the back was Exceptional.

true, it´s a team game..and we are not a team atm..trying to play together, yes...but a unit, no..

I'd say Sam Ricketts was a better example than Williamson, lasted longer than four games anyway :D

Some players need it, look at Otamendi, he looks very decent whenever he plays alongside Kompany, stick him next to Stones, Kolarov, Mangala or whoever and it's like watching a different bloke. But in our case I don't think it's on field management that's anything like the main problem, we're just set up badly. Like I say, the same players have done ok at various points at this level before. We'll look better if we tell the full backs to play in full back positions for a kick off.

I think the right captain plays a massive role, ala Gerrard, Tommy Smith, and our own Mike Bailey, but come on, Baath just isn't captain material.
I would be well impressed with Lambert if he named a new skipper. Setting his stall out from the off, so to speak.

we need a Craddock type of a player at centre half..really admired him and everything he stood for

We don't really have a proper alternative, that's the issue. I don't see the benefit in making a big thing of changing the captain mid-season (which is inevitably not going to help Batth anyway) so we can hand it to someone else who won't be any good. Edwards for instance is not a viable option for a top six team in this league, whether he's played ok in the last six games or not, we all know that, we have all watched him for nearly a decade. There are very, very few automatic picks in our team at the moment - Costa and Ikeme would probably be the only two, and the latter is only because the alternative is shite - so don't validate someone else and make them bullet proof in the name of symbolism.

As for Craddock, he was terrible for his first three seasons - at least as bad as Batth is playing at the moment - and was nothing like a leader during that period (a vastly less experienced Lescott was carrying him for two of them) so as much as he improved to an incredible degree, became a good player for us and is clearly a legend of a bloke, let's not rose tint it.

Can't argue re Craddock, but i give you the current situation, especially with England regarding Mr Rooney. He shouldn't be starting at all, bu as he's Captain......................

Well, quite. So you hand it to Coady or Edwards, and they revert to the norm (as they probably will), you're in the exact same position.

well i didnt mean a Craddock type as he was in the beginning, we need experience at the back dont we?? our current backfour is not experienced/good enough

First new signing has to be an experienced (captain material) centre back, we seem to need leadership on the field until players learn to follow the manager's pre game instructions. I am hoping Lambert will stand no shit and be prepared to sub, or drop players who go on the pitch and lose the plot, and that has o include the skipper, whoever he may be.

First new signing has to be an experienced (captain material) centre back, we seem to need leadership on the field until players learn to follow the manager's pre game instructions. I am hoping Lambert will stand no shit and be prepared to sub, or drop players who go on the pitch and lose the plot, and that has o include the skipper, whoever he may be.

If your enemy had been a bit more persuasive we would have had one, in the end we had to settle for Stearman.

We are limited to what we can do as we have to use what we have until January. Seriously won't take much to make what we have slightly more solid. Lambert may have to do a 15/16 season KJ and put a little bit more protection in front of them, but he will at least have something KJ didn't and actually have more than 1 attacking outlet.

I am expecting some gritty performances in Lamberts first few games as he tries to nail the first issue with the team

When I saw the lineup on Saturday I thought we were going 4-2-3-1, of course Rob messed it up and the midfield was equally as bad as the defence in the first half with the way he had them set up.

Saiss and one of Evans/Price in front of the back four vs Preston for me. You've got positional responsibility there and all of them can pass the ball. Then pick whichever four attackers ahead of them.

But you overestimate their abilities. Williamson was an average defender but his chat at the back was Exceptional.
Half the time it's nothing to do with ability, just simple communication and that's something that everyone should be responsible for not just looking to one bloke to tell everyone else.

Look at the first goal on Saturday, Coady starts off marking Hughes but looks to push out as the ball leaves the box. Derby then recover and as they're about to deliver Hughes is free, CBJ has the best view in the house but he tries to cover Hughes himself and leaves Ince free rather than call Coady back to his man.

When I saw the lineup on Saturday I thought we were going 4-2-3-1, of course Rob messed it up and the midfield was equally as bad as the defence in the first half with the way he had them set up.

Saiss and one of Evans/Price in front of the back four vs Preston for me. You've got positional responsibility there and all of them can pass the ball. Then pick whichever four attackers ahead of them.

Agree with this. I prefer to have one sitting player in general but this team needs to holding players to sit in front of the defence at the moment. I think Lambert will see that. That would actually allow Teixeira* to play in the ten role which he hasn't been able to.

*it will be Edwards when he is back from suspension.

I agree with this. I thought that Teix was going to play as the number 10 with Edwards and Coady sitting but it was Coady sitting and then Edwards and Teix playing as central midfielders. I also agree that Saiss and one of Evans or Price should be the way we go however despite thinking Lambert will be a good appointment i think that Coady will get in there somehow and Edwards will be back the week after.

Ha ha Kenny, he's not my enemy, i just don't like the influence he seems able to throw around at the club (personal opinion). But to hell with Mendes, I agree with DW's previous post 100% and still fancy Price (when fit) and Saiss in front of the back four.

I am actually eager to see what Lambert comes up with after the Int break.

However we do as a team, it's going to be an intriguing season.

Back