• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich (A) 31/10 Build-Up Thread #bogeyteam #mayaswellnotbother

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
----------------Ruddy------------

-------Batth---Coady---Boly---

Doherty---N'Diaye--Neves---Vinagre

------Costa----Bonatini---Jota---------

Subs: Norris, Miranda, Douglas, Ronan, Marshall, Cavaleiro, Enobakhare

2016/17: L 1-2 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2014/15: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2011/12: D 2-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2008/9: D 3-3 (H), L 2-5 (A)
2007/8: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2006/7: D 2-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2002/3: W 1-0 (H), W 3-0 (A)
2001/2: D 0-0 (H), L 0-2 (A), L 1-3 (A, P/O), W 1-0 (H, P/O)
2000/1: W 4-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1999/0: W 1-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1998/9: D 2-2 (H), D 0-0 (A)
1997/8: W 5-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
1996/7: W 3-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1995/6: L 0-2 (H), W 3-2 (A)

Anyone who's going, look out for my piece in the matchday programme...

So when we lost to them 5-2, we had been 11 games unbeaten against them. I don't understand how that is possible if we were their bogey team?

I’m going mate, do they send you a copy for featuring you?

I was at the 5-2 game as well (I know you’re talking about the unbeatable nature of history YW) and that defeat was 100% our own fault from Ikeme carrying one over the line to one of the stupidest red cards I’ve ever seen from Stears...

I was at last seasons as well with Wes ‘diving bastard’ Hoolihan conning a penalty and a red card for the reknowned hot head Ikeme... hate that guy.

I've asked them :icon_lol: If not, I'll have to pony up the £2.50 or whatever it is to buy one off their website...

It's nowt massive, only about 350 words or so. Exposure is exposure though.

I've asked them :icon_lol: If not, I'll have to pony up the £2.50 or whatever it is to buy one off their website...

It's nowt massive, only about 350 words or so. Exposure is exposure though.

Let me know and if not I’ll get you one and post it. They’re a bit tinpot at times...

Top work by the way Dan with the feature, I hope they are promoting your site on it?

I would hope so too! Out of my control ultimately though.

Don't Norwich hate us for some reason? Was it that Muscat / Bellamy thing?

Yeah when they thought he put him out for the season but in reality it was a few weeks? Not that I'm old enough to remember.

He was out for about six weeks.

Bizarre reason to hate a club given a) we all think Muscat is a cunt anyway, b) it was nearly 20 years ago and c) it was in a game of absolutely zero consequence, it was a draw, we were both mid-table at the time and finished mid-table.

Don't Norwich hate us for some reason? Was it that Muscat / Bellamy thing?

Apparently an incident when Matt Jackson was sent off for an alleged stamp the year before Muscat was the start of it all. They've not been friends with us since!

Apparently an incident when Matt Jackson was sent off for an alleged stamp the year before Muscat was the start of it all. They've not been friends with us since!

We beat them 5-0 at home and 2-0 away (Robbie Keane's debut) the year before, don't remember a red card in either of them.

Bright in for Costa and Miranda in for Batth, otherwise Dan's team.

The red card was in the 0-0 draw in 1998.

It seems to go back to a game where Matt Jackson got sent off because their player pretended he'd stamped on him. It wasn't true, and everyone in green and yellow was so outraged that the fans urged our 10 men to what seemed like a victorious draw that night.

That was the season before the Mustcat - Bellamy incident, and so it has escalated from there... the play-offs, a couple of ex-Ipswich players playing for them. Iwan moving to us... you put the whole lot into a pot and boil it up and it makes a pretty foul smell.RE: Why do we hate wolves?gazzathegreat20/10/2004, 1:37 PM

Ok, so not the season before (it was the same season...less than a month before the Muscat incident) and it wasn't a night game. And Iwan Roberts moved to them long before any of this happened, not that anyone cares too much about him on our side (we criminally misused him, got our money back and we'll always have the four goals against Albion AND as it happens, a lateish winner vs Norwich towards the end of 1996/7).

They should work on their memories a bit more.

I don't remember this alleged bad blood going into the game in December 1998, I do remember Bellamy acting the prick even by his standards and trying to get Keith Curle sent off for a phantom headbutt, which is when Muscat apparently said he was going to do him.

Edit: From the game in November 1998:

Norwich fought a brave rearguard action to earn a deserved point after the controversial 48th minute sending-off of skipper Matthew Jackson.

The captain was dismissed when referee Phil Richards decided he had stamped on Lee Naylor as he tried to hurdle the grounded Wolves defender.

The contact appeared to be accidental, with Jackson caught out as Naylor tried to get to his feet at the precise moment his opponent tried to leap over him.

But after consulting with his linesman Richards produced the red card - and it was always going to be a tough struggle for Norwich from then on against a Wolves side looking for their third successive victory under caretaker boss Colin Lee.

So they hate us because a ref made a bollocks of a decision? That makes even less sense.

It's one of the strangest things I've come across in football. They used to sing "we only hate Wolves and Ipswich" much to my puzzlement! Hating a team for 1 bad tackle?
As for the bogey team thing I haven't really noticed it (not like Boro away, Huddersfield away or Brighton anywhere). I tend to think it's not bogey teams anyway more that we always seem to bring a team's poor run to an end. Was it 7 games without a win for QPR? ;)

Not having Batth playing over Miranda, i'm sure some fans have been watching different games to me in the last 2 league games. Thought while Miranda had poor spells in both games, getting caught with the ball against Preston and with Smith's height on Saturday he is so much more comfortable on the ball than Danny and has actually defended better than he has too. Hugill got nothing out of Miranda and it wasn't until he moved over to Batth and Coady that he scored and Washington caused Danny problems on Saturday, several times showing more strength than him. Batth has improved massively on last season but Miranda is better imo.

Boly has to come back in though and i think Coady is fine for now and he has been outstanding but i think we aren't far off from seeing a case being made for the defence to be Boly, Miranda and Hause. I still think that would be our best 3.

Vinagre has to play with Douglas out of form currently and if we had another right wing back they may get a game but we have to hope Doherty is back to his best. I think Bright has to play over Costa who while i thought showed glimpses of getting back his confidence against City particularly with sprinting was back to looking far from confident on Saturday and i don't think we can afford that on Tuesday.

Obvious that Alfred has to play with no Saiss and Ruddy will keep his place but Norris is right on his tail. This is the great thing about having strength in depth and players that can come in and there not be any difference and in some cases can be an upgrade depending on the situation.

Back