• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2023/2024

Guedes or no Guedes?

• Yes - More Playstation Face!

• No - Let's forget he ever joined us

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyway I'm allowed to be grumpy about him. We paid at least NINE MILLION POUNDS for him. He wasn't some random cheap punt and you write it off if it goes wrong.

Nuno signed him and he would 100% not have said that
Lets not forget he was signed when Jeff was in full on know it all mode. So a small chance it was mentioned somewhere. Might have been along the lines of "we would hope they you step up and take the spot off Nelson" rather than "yep, in a year you will make him redundant at Wolves"

Putting a bit more effort in (should be a pre-requisite of course) is welcome. He doesn't have good defensive attributes though, he's slow and never spots danger.
He may not and he may never learn but acknowledging it is good for me.

He is doing ok for Stoke, couple of naff games but on the whole has impressed. If he wants a career at just that level he has to realise where he is weak or else he will just follow the CBJ route down the leagues.

Quick mid-week round-up

Lembikisa got another full game as Rotherham snatched a late, late point in a 2-2 draw at home to Ipswich.
Bolla played a full game in Servette's 2-1 Europa League win vs FC Sheriff, they need a miracle to qualify despite the win.
Podence got 76 minutes in the EL at West Ham, Olympiacos also look out but if they win at Freiburg they might do it.
Guedes came on for the last few minutes of Benfica's defeat at Sociedad in the CL. They're definitely out.

Weekend round-up.

Luke Cundle - Plymouth Argyle, Championship

Played a full game in a 2-1 defeat at Leeds and got the assist for the goal, putting a great ball across the goal for a tap-in.

Ki-Jana Hoever - Stoke City, Championship

Played 80 minutes of a 0.0 draw at Coventry.

Dexter Lembikisa - Rotherham, Championship

Played a full game in 5-0 defeat. Got outmuscled by his man for the second and made a hash out of blocking the through ball for the fourth. Not his best game. Rotherham now firmly rooted in the bottom three.

Louie Moulden - Rochdale, The National League

Played in a 3-2 defeat at Wealdstone. Made a couple of good early saves but ended up shipping three, including the winner last kick of the game.

Chiquinho - Famalicao, Portuguese Primeira Liga

Played 67 minutes of a 0.0 draw at Visela. Superbly spun his man to put himself through but then hit the post with his effort.

Bendeguz Bolla - Servette, Swiss Super League

Played 69 minutes of a 4-1 win at home to Basel.

On as sub: Podence came on at half time in a 2-0 win away for Olympiacos but didn't get a goal contribution, Guedes came on after 87 minutes with Benfica 1-0 down at home to bitter rivals Sporting but they scored two injury time goals to get a sensational win - GG was nowhere near either goal, of course.Tyler Roberts came on for the last 10 minutes or so of Doncaster's 2-0 defeat at AFC Wimbledon.

Unused sub: Griffiths

Not in squad: Campbell, Pond, Tipton, Corbeanu, Lonwijk

No game: Mosquera

Luke Cundle 7 STAR MAN - Was the surprising choice to play as the central striker in the continued absence of the injured Ryan Hardie and Mustapha Bundu and with Ben Waine among the substitutes. Given his stature, Cundle could not give Argyle an attacking focal point as he was up against more powerful defenders, but he did cause them a few problems with his clever movement and had one decent scoring chance in the first half which was blocked behind by Joe Rodon. Dropped into a more usual midfield role after Waine was sent on as a substitute.

Matt Jackson has by and large done a decent job of finding good fits for players but this year it's gone wrong Griffiths, Campbell, Tipton barely getting a sniff. Chem coming on with 7 minutes to go when 5-1 up against a Tier 4 team. I guess the counter to that is they aren't good enough in which case they shouldn't be in the system

Didn't Charlton bin their manager not long after he joined or am I confusing that with another loan of his?

Matt Jackson has by and large done a decent job of finding good fits for players but this year it's gone wrong Griffiths, Campbell, Tipton barely getting a sniff. Chem coming on with 7 minutes to go when 5-1 up against a Tier 4 team. I guess the counter to that is they aren't good enough in which case they shouldn't be in the system
Jackson left in the summer didn’t he?

I'm a bit surprised at how Ljonwicks appearances/development appears to have stalled. He did really well at plymouth.

I'm a bit surprised at how Ljonwicks appearances/development appears to have stalled. He did really well at plymouth.
It's a shame, he was being modelled for Nuno's formation, and obviously looked a perfect fit, but..

It's a shame, he was being modelled for Nuno's formation, and obviously looked a perfect fit, but..
You sure you're not thinking of Marques? Lonwijk didn't join us until 2020.

He lost his place at Plymouth for the run in last season, their fans weren't that sold on him in League One.

Back