• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millwall fans staying classy by throwing coins at the corner takers....fucking cavemen.

Crazy turnaround for Barnsley. Bottom of the league on 28th November and had been dumped out of the FA Cup by Altrincham.

Weird defending on the goal much like Dier on Friday night, the ball is on the ground, why are you heading it.

Ouch. A Plymouth defender collides with Akinfenwa, and is carried off on a stretcher. Akinfenwa looks ok though...

Remember it 'wasn't in the interests of football' for Wimbledon to re-form, they were supposed to just suck up the move 70 miles north and have their club stolen. Well they're in the same league as the thieves next season. Outstanding.

Indeed, next season Wimbledon and MK Dons will meet on a level playing field.

Highlight of the match was Wimbledons last minute penalty. Akinfenwa decided he was going to take it despite another player wanting to. Guess who won the argument...

Indeed, next season Wimbledon and MK Dons will meet on a level playing field.

Highlight of the match was Wimbledons last minute penalty. Akinfenwa decided he was going to take it despite another player wanting to. Guess who won the argument...

Remember it 'wasn't in the interests of football' for Wimbledon to re-form, they were supposed to just suck up the move 70 miles north and have their club stolen. Well they're in the same league as the thieves next season. Outstanding.

Give me a quick summary of the situation if you don't mind as I've never really understood it.

Surely when the Dons went bust they had to start again regardless. How were they allowed to reform somewhere else, as you say effectively stealing a club. And who said that quote?

The FA allowed the move, they sanctioned the move to Milton Keynes playing as "Wimbledon" for a season (remember of course that Wimbledon had been without a ground of their own for over a decade) and then permitted the change of name after they were officially bought out by Winkelman following a year sitting in administration. The club never went bust as such, it was bought out in the same way as many clubs have been but with the added twist of being shifted 70 miles up the country.

Disgraceful stuff from a three man panel to allow it, that quote is from Steve Stride, former Villa board member who was on the panel (and voted in favour of the move) and encouraged the Wimbledon fans not to support a phoenix setup of a new club.

If Milton Keynes (and they should drop the 'Dons' part really, nothing to do with them) wanted a club then they should have started at the bottom like everyone else, horrendous club and I pray for the day they drop out of the Football League altogether.

They won't. Unless Winkelman walks away they are far too well off to fall below division 2 at the very worst.

The FA allowed the move, they sanctioned the move to Milton Keynes playing as "Wimbledon" for a season (remember of course that Wimbledon had been without a ground of their own for over a decade) and then permitted the change of name after they were officially bought out by Winkelman following a year sitting in administration. The club never went bust as such, it was bought out in the same way as many clubs have been but with the added twist of being shifted 70 miles up the country.

Disgraceful stuff from a three man panel to allow it, that quote is from Steve Stride, former Villa board member who was on the panel (and voted in favour of the move) and encouraged the Wimbledon fans not to support a phoenix setup of a new club.

If Milton Keynes (and they should drop the 'Dons' part really, nothing to do with them) wanted a club then they should have started at the bottom like everyone else, horrendous club and I pray for the day they drop out of the Football League altogether.

Thank you. That makes more sense now that it was slowly stolen rather than over night moving north and stealing the name.

I had forgot that Wimbledon had originally moved and were playing at the hockey ground in front of no one.

They won't. Unless Winkelman walks away they are far too well off to fall below division 2 at the very worst.

A man can dream. They've got no rightful place being here.

Winkelman won't live forever and ultimately I don't think the interest is really there in the town, their attendances plateaued a long time ago, even with ultra cheap tickets and thousands given away every week.

The ground will get other uses though. It has had top-flight rugby for a start.

You could build a 30,000 seater stadium in Telford and find some tenants from somewhere, could possibly even find a rugby club being as the West Midlands is bereft of top flight rugby and has been since forever (if you don't count Worcester, which I don't as it's miles away). However if you tried to make AFC Telford really successful and get the stadium full it just wouldn't work, everyone who lives in Telford already supports another football team. Wouldn't matter even if you stole say, Blackpool's club in the same way that MK did to Wimbledon and jumped several levels in the pyramid, there wouldn't be the interest.

MK are in the same boat, they were demonstrably out of their depth in a pretty weak Championship this season, crowds were still terrible, it looks very much like their absolute high watermark is the top end of L1. When Winkelman disappears (assuming he isn't immortal to go along with the other deals with the devil he's done) then I'm not sure who's going to pick up the slack to maintain a club that's evidently capped at a pretty low base.

Agreed - it will take a generational thing for their support to pick up. MK is pretty much Spurs and Arsenal catchment area, with a bit of Northampton, Luton and Watford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back