• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Raab came across quite well to start with there.

Excellent article.
" We must reject such authoritarian measures wholly, no matter who says they’re ‘necessary’ "
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...avirus-civil-liberties-authoritarian-measures

Yeah, the opinion section of most news sites can carry some interesting viewpoints from people outside the media like Samuel Miller McDonald, an a vowed Republican who spends most of his time when not studying for his DPhil at Oxford actively attacking the Democrat party in America and calling for the party to be burned down.

His suggestions in the article are quite interesting and some should definitely be applauded. Universal healthcare, Nationalisation of some services, Permanently halting evictions, subsidising local businesses and charities and halting the climate/ecological crisis are subjects a lot of people would agree with. Abolishing prisons and Intellectual Property rights maybe not so much.

It would be interesting to know Sam's thoughts on whats happening now, but unfortunately, he hasn't really given much of his opinion on the ongoing situation much since that one opinion piece he proffered to the Guardian on March 23. Perhaps he's been too busy studying for his DPhil in Geography and the Climate at Oxford, where Dominic Cummings studied, to concentrate on on is his personal interest in neo liberal right wing politics.

Maybe he's trying to avoid anyone trying to pass off his personal opinion on what he sees as a civil rights issue in America as an expert opinion on the current CV-19 crisis. He may be avoiding the subject after none of the predictions the President at the head of the party so fervently supports made up until 23rd March, such as it being a hoax, the situation being under control, and hardly anyone would die have proved to be far from correct and is now regretting having waded into the subject in print at all on a website that won't remove them, leaving them up there for future reference and all time.

I think at the time of writing that article, 335 people had died of CV-19 in the UK and 157 people in New York. Since that time UK CV-19 deaths have increased to 13,729 in the UK and New York CV-19 deaths increased to 11,586 with overall US CV-19 deaths now at 29,216 which is a stark reminder to most people why the current restrictions are in place, and a contributory factor to why the place that has allowed him temporary residency, the UK, has expanded ours by another 3 weeks.

Maybe someone could ask him if he still feels we should "reject such authoritarian measures wholly, no matter who says they’re ‘necessary"? Maybe he might even answer?

Oh
My
Fecking
God.

So who did all the in depth product assessment and testing we went through before buying them? NO wonder they dont want Parliament recalling

I can understand why they did it but to give the tests the fanfare we did we ludicrous

I can understand why they did it but to give the tests the fanfare we did we ludicrous

Yeah, they made such a big fanfare of ' we are going to do this the right way, the best way, and ensure we get it right, cos we cant afford to get it wrong the tests have to work and we will ensure they do , it will take a bit longer but it will be worth the wait'
and then to STILL get it wrong?????

Yeah, they made such a big fanfare of ' we are going to do this the right way, the best way, and ensure we get it right, cos we cant afford to get it wrong the tests have to work and we will ensure they do , it will take a bit longer but it will be worth the wait'
and then to STILL get it wrong?????

It's what happens when you appoint people purely because they agree with you when actually if it's a binary choice, you're better off appointing people who disagree with you. Because they stop you making mistakes.

Oh, and being vaguely qualified and/or experienced helps.

It has just been made mandatory to wear a face mask in public spaces in SA and it is guaranteed that some Texans will ignore the new rule. I think I will "suggest" that all my customers adhere to the rule for a couple of days before enforcing it more strictly.

https://foxsanantonio.com/features/...Anq2lGX6L4_XE6YsyD6uQ543PZ4ZaRdfI09WJojH64WBo

update: we had six customers in the final few minutes this evening. Two wearing masks, three "Sorry, I left it in the car, do you want me to go get it?", and one (man in his 60s) who had absolutely no intention of wearing one.

Yeah, the opinion section of most news sites can carry some interesting viewpoints from people outside the media like Samuel Miller McDonald, an a vowed Republican who spends most of his time when not studying for his DPhil at Oxford actively attacking the Democrat party in America and calling for the party to be burned down.

His suggestions in the article are quite interesting and some should definitely be applauded. Universal healthcare, Nationalisation of some services, Permanently halting evictions, subsidising local businesses and charities and halting the climate/ecological crisis are subjects a lot of people would agree with. Abolishing prisons and Intellectual Property rights maybe not so much.

It would be interesting to know Sam's thoughts on whats happening now, but unfortunately, he hasn't really given much of his opinion on the ongoing situation much since that one opinion piece he proffered to the Guardian on March 23. Perhaps he's been too busy studying for his DPhil in Geography and the Climate at Oxford, where Dominic Cummings studied, to concentrate on on is his personal interest in neo liberal right wing politics.

Maybe he's trying to avoid anyone trying to pass off his personal opinion on what he sees as a civil rights issue in America as an expert opinion on the current CV-19 crisis. He may be avoiding the subject after none of the predictions the President at the head of the party so fervently supports made up until 23rd March, such as it being a hoax, the situation being under control, and hardly anyone would die have proved to be far from correct and is now regretting having waded into the subject in print at all on a website that won't remove them, leaving them up there for future reference and all time.

I think at the time of writing that article, 335 people had died of CV-19 in the UK and 157 people in New York. Since that time UK CV-19 deaths have increased to 13,729 in the UK and New York CV-19 deaths increased to 11,586 with overall US CV-19 deaths now at 29,216 which is a stark reminder to most people why the current restrictions are in place, and a contributory factor to why the place that has allowed him temporary residency, the UK, has expanded ours by another 3 weeks.

Maybe someone could ask him if he still feels we should "reject such authoritarian measures wholly, no matter who says they’re ‘necessary"? Maybe he might even answer?

The Patriot Act actively violates the constitution of the United States. The risk for me with the Covid Powers (and it may be a loose risk) is tempering expression and the rights of dissent. We already see facebook etc censoring and while social media is the perfect platform for attentions seekers and nutters if it restricts anything but an 'official line' it is worrying. Without a doubt the crap that 5G causes Covid-19 is prime for an 'advisory' note but not removal as this may remove other debate that is lucid to a balanced argument.

If they do the job and the locals aren't there to do it AND the producer looks afer them then it's fair game. They're just seasonal workers in fact it's far more dangerous for them than it is for the Irish.
I find it difficult to believe that there aren't any Irish who need that work right now.

I would doubt the Chinese made any firm guarentees and they did explain there was an evaluation process. I'd be more concerned of the MP's giving themselves an extra £10k than this but it all smacks of the necessity for a co-ordinated global response - one the WHO seems incapable of offering. Then again this is manna from heaven for the Pharma Corps and idiots like Gates.

I find it difficult to believe that there aren't any Irish who need that work right now.

That's not essentially what would be put forward by advocates of the EU. It's called Freedom of Movement and the South is still in the EU club. Arguably it's a kick in the balls to the Brexit Camp ( and rightfully so) in the UK because I believe they have a plane of Rumanians coming over to work the fields in England.

The Patriot Act actively violates the constitution of the United States. The risk for me with the Covid Powers (and it may be a loose risk) is tempering expression and the rights of dissent. We already see facebook etc censoring and while social media is the perfect platform for attentions seekers and nutters if it restricts anything but an 'official line' it is worrying. Without a doubt the crap that 5G causes Covid-19 is prime for an 'advisory' note but not removal as this may remove other debate that is lucid to a balanced argument.

America voted in and a large number of people continue to support a tangerine reality tv nutbar who the world knows lies through his teeth and would prefer to have a nazi like grip on all media outlets and seems to have an issue with some of the fundamental parts of the constitution such as freedom of information.
Genuine question of interest
The only 'censoring' I'm aware of is whatsapp and facebook cracking down on false and clear disinformation being disseminated as facts, are they doing things that affect people in other ways? I heard zuckerbergs name called out in that long list of people being put on Donalds sector specific advisory councils and the thought of him and donald colluding is very very scary.

That's a bit tin hat for me. Probably a kernel of truth in there somewhere then creates a huge leap to super injunction.

What I think may be in place, and this is only my personal opinion, is a restriction on what the media can question. Something like only the content of the briefings, not the wider crisis. I can't be arsed to go over every whats been said in past briefings just to establish that as a fact, but it would explain a few things if it were true. There are a lot of new temporary powers bouncing around to back up old existin ones, 'safety' and 'national interest' can be used to justify a lot of things in court, like putting media restrictions in place.

Restrictions were put in place during the Falklands War on that basis leading to the famous ' i counted them out and i counted them all back in again ' line.

I watched last nights briefing with that in mind, and they didn't seem to stray outside of those kind of parameters, only asking questions about facts delivered in that and past briefings. There is a clamour to call parliament back to allow MP's oversight on the Governments actions and performance so far which there is a reticence to do 'for some reason'

Back