• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

And if they don't make profits? Virgin Atlantic hasn't made one for a good while, and we all know how good larger companies are at masking profits.

I don't have a problem with it personally and if that were the case holding an equity stake is going to be a worse position.

Virgin employ plenty of people and if they went bump because of lack of funds then plenty of folks would be claiming that government subsidy in another form.

I don't have a problem with it personally and if that were the case holding an equity stake is going to be a worse position.

Virgin employ plenty of people and if they went bump because of lack of funds then plenty of folks would be claiming that government subsidy in another form.

I agree, though the government allowed Flybe to go bump and they added way more to the economy than Branson's ego trip.

I think the general principle of we shouldn't give private businesses free money is a good one - if they want / need the money then there needs to be a quid pro quo, either repayment, assets or equity.

I agree, though the government allowed Flybe to go bump and they added way more to the economy than Branson's ego trip.

I think the general principle of we shouldn't give private businesses free money is a good one - if they want / need the money then there needs to be a quid pro quo, either repayment, assets or equity.

I agree with both points. I guess the difference between Flybe and Branson is political as it would be under any party, this lot are not known for their impartiality.

I think the principal of handing every company £10K in the current climate is a good one and generally large handouts come with keeping staff on and generating business. Growth grants enable innovation and the EU do this through a good programme we are still part of. The principal being you are adding to the economy.

nice to see 'viable business' includes airlines running at a loss

nice to see 'viable business' includes airlines running at a loss

Airlines are essential to a lot more than just themselves. I hate to imagine how many times I have flown Flybe in the last few years, a lot of those trips will have resulted in money coming in to the UK - that's going to be more challenging now. There is a very strong argument for government subsidiaries for regional airlines.

Airlines are essential to a lot more than just themselves. I hate to imagine how many times I have flown Flybe in the last few years, a lot of those trips will have resulted in money coming in to the UK - that's going to be more challenging now. There is a very strong argument for government subsidiaries for regional airlines.

which is?

If we dont have organised clapping how can I prove I love the NHS more than others do??

Those with the broadest shoulders.

That's very honourable, and I'd agree that those are the people who should have their taxes increased but we both know it it won't be, it will be the average joe, and those with the broadest shoulders will continue to add padding to them

My brother was repatriated from The Gambia a week ago. Before leaving he was tested and given advice by The Gambian authorities on what to expect on arriving in the UK. They had a short announcement on the plane from the cabin crew and on arriving back in the UK nothing... no information, no screening, no customs, not even a leaflet explaining the government advice. Not a single representative of the UK authorities spoke to a plane full of travellers on expectations on meeting the lockdown. His words: "an absolute joke".

If that is happening with every plane arriving in the UK it is shambolic and potentially disastrous.

My brother was repatriated from The Gambia a week ago. Before leaving he was tested and given advice by The Gambian authorities on what to expect on arriving in the UK. They had a short announcement on the plane from the cabin crew and on arriving back in the UK nothing... no information, no screening, no customs, not even a leaflet explaining the government advice. Not a single representative of the UK authorities spoke to a plane full of travellers on expectations on meeting the lockdown. His words: "an absolute joke".

If that is happening with every plane arriving in the UK it is shambolic and potentially disastrous.

Strange the media keeping very quiet about this type of thing.

Yeah, when I last flew out to Jersey on 16 March, each passenger was handed a leaflet giving information and advise on COVID-19 as we entered the arrivals. The previous evening a flight arriving from Tenerife had been met by officials and all passengers transported by coach to their homes with strict instructions to self isolate. I flew back to UK on 22 March into Liverpool, absolute zip...

It's been common knowledge all along. Contact you MP's, ask them why nothings ever been done, apply pressure where it's needed and something might get done. Until that pressure is applied in the right places little by enough people little will get done about many of the issues that a few weeks ago were being put down to Tory bashing.

We are in a crisis that until very very recently has had little oversight on how it's been handled, which has meant errors far greater than simple mistakes that anyone could make have been made, with hardly any accountability for those making them. That's not Tory bashing, it is the plain and simple truth.

Back