• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Indeed, it isn't a simple ventilator. It's a machine that works on pressure in and out of the lungs to get he lungs working whilst assisting through mechanical pressure. Pretty complex stuff given a ventilator can only perform one function.

Not saying it’s not impressive or complex (though it’s reverse-engineered rather than new), but it doesn’t replace the need for ventilation. Nice article on it from one of the people who worked on it here:

https://theconversation.com/coronav...fast-tracked-life-saving-breathing-aid-136028

Not saying it’s not impressive or complex (though it’s reverse-engineered rather than new), but it doesn’t replace the need for ventilation. Nice article on it from one of the people who worked on it here:

https://theconversation.com/coronav...fast-tracked-life-saving-breathing-aid-136028

The article says neither of the two things you've stated. It does say:

The team has pulled off the task of moving from reverse-engineering an original product and producing a new design, through testing and regulatory approval to full-scale production in under 10 days

It doesn't say anything about replacing a ventilator at all but does say:

Unlike mechanical ventilation, CPAP doesn’t require a tube to be inserted into the patient’s windpipe. Instead, continuous air pressure (slightly higher than normal atmospheric pressure) applied through a face mask keeps the airways open and provides the patient with oxygen-enriched air. This reduces the work they have to do to breathe without requiring them to be sedated.

They are describing the difference between how a ventilator works and CPAP works.

It's a very good article and shows how good we are as a nation at getting stuff done when we can. We're a pretty innovative place when we want to be.

10,120 available ventilators, 1,000 acquired from the private health sector the rest from imports and orders from small suppliers.

Dyson, the F1 teams et al were lauded as the nations saviours when it was announced they were going full tilt to manufacture some. Pretty soon it will be announced we don't need them anymore because we're doing fine, and as a result of someones outstanding decision millions have been saved. Spin.

As I said, My friend was only concerned that you might appear to others to be wilfully trying to spread disinformation He is sure that isnt your intention and you probably didn't realise the advice was updated as soon as the facts became clearer or hadnt managed to paste all of the statement when you meant to.

It's quite easy to make a mistake like referring to 3 month old reports, that were updated 2 weeks later when more was known about the situation, after all, our own Government knew there was a developing problem around 2 weeks before the who issued those guidelines, and we still got caught on the hop.

As of 24 January 2020, human-to-human transmission has been confirmed largely in Wuhan city, but also some other places in China and internationally. Not enough is known about the epidemiology of 2019-nCoV to draw definitive conclusions about the full clinical features of disease, the intensity of the human-to-human transmission, and the original source of the outbreak.

It would also be very easy to miss the 9 paragraphs f advice they gave and the actions they also advised countries take which included the ones I already mentioned. A lot of people are getting dates and times muddled at the moment whilst being locked down

24 January WHO advice on Coronavirus

Nope, not misquoting anything, not muddled up about dates.
The Chinese knew there was a problem at the start of December (or probably a lot earlier) admitted there was a problem on New Years Eve (convenient day), misinformed and hid the severity of the problem - aided and abetted by the WHO for a further 3 weeks or so.
They are culpable for tens of thousands of deaths.

Nope, not misquoting anything, not muddled up about dates.
The Chinese knew there was a problem at the start of December (or probably a lot earlier) admitted there was a problem on New Years Eve (convenient day), misinformed and hid the severity of the problem - aided and abetted by the WHO for a further 3 weeks or so.
They are culpable for tens of thousands of deaths.

For clarification, do you believe the WHO didn't update it's advice on the 24th January as soon as it had enough empirical data to show that extra steps were now needed to be taken to halt the spread of the disease, and that the most influential World Leaders were not satisfied with either the advice they were given or the transparency of the Chinese Government in keeping them informed of the situation?

Last week in January the Tangerine Tyrant was lauding WHO and the Chinese government for their reaction to the growing problem

Last week in January the Tangerine Tyrant was lauding WHO and the Chinese government for their reaction to the growing problem
That doesn't necessarily make him less right now.

Not saying he is; I've no clue about it in all honesty. My best guess is he was flattering them last week to bargain for something, then didn't get it, and is now throwing a hissy. As he does.

That doesn't necessarily make him less right now.

Not saying he is; I've no clue about it in all honesty. My best guess is he was flattering them last week to bargain for something, then didn't get it, and is now throwing a hissy. As he does.

The man is telling bare faced lies and making false accusations to try and claim he couldn't have done anything more than he has done, and that he was the only person in the world saying there was a problem, and no one else lifted a finger, instead of telling the world there wasnt a problem, China and the WHO were handling it fine and it would all blow over by April He's claiming that he has been giving vast sums of money to the WHO and he's standing up for America and not giving them anymore. He's currently 200million in arrears with the WHO and in a couple of weeks a 99 year old bloke shuffling round his garden has raised almost half of what Trump has contributed to the WHO Coronavirus fund.

That's quite shocking but what's even more shocking is the fact that despite all the undisputable evidence to the contrary there are still people who believe him.

The man is telling bare faced lies and making false accusations to try and claim he couldn't have done anything more than he has done, and that he was the only person in the world saying there was a problem, and no one else lifted a finger, instead of telling the world there wasnt a problem, China and the WHO were handling it fine and it would all blow over by April He's claiming that he has been giving vast sums of money to the WHO and he's standing up for America and not giving them anymore. He's currently 200million in arrears with the WHO and in a couple of weeks a 99 year old bloke shuffling round his garden has raised almost half of what Trump has contributed to the WHO Coronavirus fund.

That's quite shocking but what's even more shocking is the fact that despite all the undisputable evidence to the contrary there are still people who believe him.
If you find any of that shocking, you haven't been paying attention for the last three years.

If you find any of that shocking, you haven't been paying attention for the last three years.

The part that shocks me the most is the fact there are still people spreading his lies as facts

A paper showing that lots of infections would occur before symptoms start showing and also infectivity reduces by a lot after 7 days.

This means that people have been unknowingly infecting others which again reinforces the idea that this virus is incredibly widespread. Also makes the govts advice to isolate for 7 days after symptom onset fairly sound

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0869-5

A paper showing that lots of infections would occur before symptoms start showing and also infectivity reduces by a lot after 7 days.

This means that people have been unknowingly infecting others which again reinforces the idea that this virus is incredibly widespread. Also makes the govts advice to isolate for 7 days after symptom onset fairly sound

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0869-5

In saying that though, it also says that pre symptomatic victims are the biggest problem which would in turn tend to suggest that lock down and contact tracing is the way forward

Trumps delayed sending his cheques out so that he can have his name printed on them, which I would imagine will encourage his supporters not to cash them

We got our money yesterday. Direct deposit so no signature. Was half expecting lil' donny not to send me anything since it is for all Americans, which I am not.

Anyway, wife said to deposit it in a savings account (business has never been better for me so we do not need the cash), but at current interest rates we would each earn a whole dollar per year.

We got our money yesterday. Direct deposit so no signature. Was half expecting lil' donny not to send me anything since it is for all Americans, which I am not.

Anyway, wife said to deposit it in a savings account (business has never been better for me so we do not need the cash), but at current interest rates we would each earn a whole dollar per year.

We received ours today via direct deposit too. Thankfully no signature either!!!
Didn't think I'd be eligible either as I'm not s citizen. We are putting the money in a separate saving account as np doubt we'll end up giving it back in the future...

We received ours today via direct deposit too. Thankfully no signature either!!!
Didn't think I'd be eligible either as I'm not s citizen. We are putting the money in a separate saving account as np doubt we'll end up giving it back in the future...

And while the IRS was sending me $1,200, I was sending them $1,000 for 2019 and a further $1,000 for 2020. It feels like I have already lost money on the deal.

The part that shocks me the most is the fact there are still people spreading his lies as facts

Hope you're not including me in that. I can think for myself thanks, don't need no politico to follow.
Trump must be following me, I changed my 'signature' days ago.

KellyAnne Conway is blaming the WHO because this is Covid-19 not Covid-1 and they've had plenty of chances to get it right. I know the only people who watch Fox News wear MAGA hats, but some of the snippets you see from interviews and discussions are very entertaining.

The challenge is to guess whether they are stupid or just releasing soundbites because their viewers are

Does anyone know for sure why no postmortems are being carried out on covid victims as a matter of course - at least on those not in the "vulnerable" age categories or with known health issues that make one more vulnerable, the poor 13 year old lad for example or the many NHS staff?

From what I've read the RKI recommends none are done, and in Ireland they're only done IF there was another known issue. Surely we need to know if those victims didn't have any un-diagnosed issues, at the moment we've no idea if it's as deadly as the flu, or as smallpox or somewhere in between, and we don't even know how best to treat patients.

Back