• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Just had a telemarketer on the phone, nothing unusual in that and I usually keep them on for as long as they last before hanging up, but this sicko was phoning up about funeral plans.

I don't think this is a coincidence, they must be using this whole situation as an angle.

Just had a telemarketer on the phone, nothing unusual in that and I usually keep them on for as long as they last before hanging up, but this sicko was phoning up about funeral plans.

I don't think this is a coincidence, they must be using this whole situation as an angle.

I’m certainly seeing more targeted ads about life assurance.

Exercising amile and a half is very different on a bike to walking which is the point being made.

Yeah I realise that. So cycle for a mile and a half, turn round and cycle back.
You can do this several times.

I think that's pretty arrogant. I'll defend what I like doing, because it suits me. Mo Farah runs a 10k at a different speed to a 3 hour run, he's still out of breath at the end of it. A time trail in the TDF is cycled quicker than a standard stage, competitors still seemed whacked at the end of it. As I said, people looking for loopholes to suit their own agendas rather than following the spirit of the recommendations/guidelines/regulations
I'm not looking for loopholes, thank you very much. You've got me wrong there. Not my style at all. Most of my rides have been no more than an hour. I can send you my Strava profile if you like. That doesn't mean I'll feel guilty for doing a little bit extra once in a while. It's good for my health (both physical and mental), I'm not taking risks and I'm riding in areas with little to no footfall.

My point is the guidance has been misinterpreted and muddied by Gove in a classic Tory waffley kind of way. Somewhere along the line completely made up limits have been presented as official guidance. The usual anti-cycling brigade who wince at the site of lycra have latched onto this and its filtering its way into the national press/pysche.

I'm just defending a perfectly healthy and responsible pursuit with the hope it doesn't get ruined.

My point is the guidance has been misinterpreted and muddied by Gove in a classic Tory waffley kind of way. Somewhere along the line completely made up limits have been presented as official guidance. The usual anti-cycling brigade who wince at the site of lycra have latched onto this and its filtering its way into the national press/pysche.
The lack of written down guidance was my initial querying point. I’m not anti cycling in anyway (I’m a part timer one myself)

I had someone at work grumble at me when I mentioned I was a mile from home on my daily exercise one day last week. They had in their mind the rule was you can’t be more than 200 metres from your house.

I'm just defending a perfectly healthy and responsible pursuit with the hope it doesn't get ruined.

Then surely your ire should be aimed at those in the cycling community who are in danger of ruining it by taking the piss. I don't accept that an hour or thereabouts although not preferable is sufficient. Whatever you think of Gove it's you who have chosen to approach his guidance as wibbling, which suits you in the same way as people carried on going to pubs because they were open even though they were told not to as it suited them. The latter is worse and more dangerous but rooted from the same mentality.

Last edited:
Then surely your aire should be aimed at those in the cycling community who are in danger of ruining it by taking the piss. I don't accept that an hour or thereabouts although not preferable is sufficient. Whatever you think of Gove it's you who have chosen to approach his guidance as wibbling, which suits you in the same way as people carried on going to pubs because they were open even though they were told not to as it suited them. The latter is worse and more dangerous but rooted from the same mentality.

I haven't seen a single cyclist flaunting the rules or causing undue risk. I have seen people exercising, mostly on their own, often people who wouldn't normally be out keeping fit which in turn helps the NHS.

I'm not sure why you want me to be angry at any of them?

Not sure what your point is about Gove. It was him who waffled on about what is reasonable in a sweeping non-regulatory way, which has ended up muddying what was pretty clear advice.

Take a look at this.

https://youtu.be/QYULS2JXbT4

The tabloids accusing cyclists of breaking rules and being dangerous.

Turns out it was a trick of a telephoto lens to create an illusion of group cycling for the readership to get foamy about.

If this is the kind of thing you think I should be getting annoyed at the cycling fraternity about then excuse me for passing it off for what it really is.

No one’s mentioned cycling in groups have they? I think the general gist is if you live in an area highly affected by Coronavirus getting on your bike and riding to areas not affected is not a great idea.

That's disgusting, but not unusual in that industry no matter what sector they're working in. Employees of the worst offenders get forced to try and capitalise on anything creating fear and doubt in peoples minds within both the commercial and domestic sectors

No one’s mentioned cycling in groups have they? I think the general gist is if you live in an area highly affected by Coronavirus getting on your bike and riding to areas not affected is not a great idea.
I was just asking if that's the kind of thing the cycling community is doing that is giving them a bad name that my aire should be aimed at.

Having gone to the shops this morning, I genuinely feel there was more risk doing that than when I cycled to Bridgnorth and back yesterday considering I didn't come within 2 metres of another person for the entire ride.

Take a look at this.

https://youtu.be/QYULS2JXbT4

The tabloids accusing cyclists of breaking rules and being dangerous.

Turns out it was a trick of a telephoto lens to create an illusion of group cycling for the readership to get foamy about.

If this is the kind of thing you think I should be getting annoyed at the cycling fraternity about then excuse me for passing it off for what it really is.

I don't want to add flames to the fire, but yes, there's some telephoto effect in play in the papped shot, but if it was entirely responsible for the image, she wouldn't appear to be as separated from him as she is in both pictures, and the top group wouldn't appear to be as close together as they are in both. and in all likelihood the amount of separation in her pic will have been exaggerated by the almost certainly wide angle lens that she's using. Its 6 of one half a dozen of another, they re both using images to support their individual agendas and as bad as each other

Assuming you went for food then that’s essential though?

There’s always lots of talk on this thread about people out in cars etc, can’t imagine driving in your car is going to give anyone Coronavirus so shall we all get out in our cars?

Assuming you went for food then that’s essential though?

There’s always lots of talk on this thread about people out in cars etc, can’t imagine driving in your car is going to give anyone Coronavirus so shall we all get out in our cars?

Not exactly good for your health is it [emoji57]

Not exactly good for your health is it [emoji57]

I’d imagine a drive in the country is particularly good for your mental health if you aren’t able enough to get out on a bike. Or does mental health not count [emoji57]

I’d imagine a drive in the country is particularly good for your mental health if you aren’t able enough to get out on a bike. Or does mental health not count [emoji57]
I've already mentioned mental health being an important benefit of cycling.

Back