• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Priti Patel is finally wheeled out and in a pretty poor press conference makes her "best effort" at an apology about the lack of PPE equipment. She says: I am sorry if people feel there have been failings... but we are in an unprecedented global health pandemic... the demands on PPE are going to be exponential".... Jesus, she really is a stranger to empathy....28 NHS staff (a small but not insignificant number amongst the awful awful death toll) have died, and whilst I have been typing this another nurse has died. It's heartbreaking and I'm so angry that my colleagues and imminently I, don't have the kit needed to operate safely in the workplace.

Priti Patel is finally wheeled out and in a pretty poor press conference makes her "best effort" at an apology about the lack of PPE equipment. She says: I am sorry if people feel there have been failings... but we are in an unprecedented global health pandemic... the demands on PPE are going to be exponential".... Jesus, she really is a stranger to empathy....28 NHS staff (a small but not insignificant number amongst the awful awful death toll) have died, and whilst I have been typing this another nurse has died. It's heartbreaking and I'm so angry that my colleagues and imminently I, don't have the kit needed to operate safely in the workplace.

The most frustrating two words I keep hearing are “ramping up” - fine words butter no parsnips - stop promising and be honest about when PPE and testing will be delivered.

Spains highest was 980, which was also Europes highest number for daily deaths...until ours yesterday

Looking at the curves we are almost following Italy exactly. Spain, France and the US have horrible curves in comparison. It's difficult to see why every government has been so unprepared.

Looking at the curves we are almost following Italy exactly. Spain, France and the US have horrible curves in comparison. It's difficult to see why every government has been so unprepared.

Which curves Johnny? I tend to look at the FT:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1248730804513058816?s=21

Or our world in data, on both we are considerably worse than Italy or France on every measure apart from positive tests (which given our test performance isn’t a good measure in UK).

Or our world in data, on both we are considerably worse than Italy or France on every measure apart from positive tests (which given our test performance isn’t a good measure in UK).

It was the FT graphs I was looking at and I wouldn't say comfortable anything and if you have s look at the curves ours is the same as Italy. France have more fatalities and the US, India and Spain curves are much steeper than ours.

If you take the article linked by Dire Wolf on face value the issue is more that we had the advantage of circa 3 weeks to learn from the Italian experience and chose to continue with the policy of herd immunity. If we'd locked down earlier there is no doubt our death toll would be considerably lower than it is at this stage. The question remains what would have happened when it was lifted - would the virus have blown itself out, for want of a better phrase or just been stored up to hit hard over the late Spring/Summer?

I saw this from the Priti Patel thing

"She responded that she was "sorry if people feel there have been failings" and repeated that answer when asked to clarify if she was apologising."

Which means 'im sorry you think we haven't done our job but I'm not apologising for anything'

I saw this from the Priti Patel thing

"She responded that she was "sorry if people feel there have been failings" and repeated that answer when asked to clarify if she was apologising."

Which means 'im sorry you think we haven't done our job but I'm not apologising for anything'
The woman has no empathy, in a very crowded field she's the worst of the lot

If you take the article linked by Dire Wolf on face value the issue is more that we had the advantage of circa 3 weeks to learn from the Italian experience and chose to continue with the policy of herd immunity. If we'd locked down earlier there is no doubt our death toll would be considerably lower than it is at this stage. The question remains what would have happened when it was lifted - would the virus have blown itself out, for want of a better phrase or just been stored up to hit hard over the late Spring/Summer?

I think we're still applying a suppression strategy and hoping when sanctions are lifted that we have the ways and means to test, treat and cure people in large numbers if and when the second wave hits.

As goes NHS and PPE surely amongst all these high paid managers they wrote up a genuine risk strategy that would cover an event like this.

After all, a pandemic (virus) would be one of the higest risk factors we could face given past examples. At least they could then can be transparent and point to failure of supply chain etc etc etc because it's not through lack of will I would have thought. People risking their lives to help others without the correct equipment is unforgiveable.

According to that, we’re following Spain and Italy almost exactly? The only difference is that Spain has a lower population than the uk, so Spain’s deaths per population is higher

According to that, we’re following Spain and Italy almost exactly?

Really? Can’t quite see how we can follow them both exactly since they are not the same.

Definitely closer to Italy than Spain which is better.
b6c2961c36ba548fcdc042f226725008.jpg

That’s a different graph to tredmans

[emoji3].

Follow the link I posted originally and there are a series of graphs. The first is a rolling 7-day average which gives an idea of current status, so we will look worse than others as we are still on the way up. The one I posted above is cumulative deaths.

Back