• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Andy, I'm sorry if I was overly aggressive in discussing your standpoint that it is acceptable that 250,000 people be sacrificed to achieve 'herd immunity', I sincerely apologise. It's a difficult time for everyone, and when someone says something that hits a nerve on a personal level it is easy to let emotions get the better of you , I will try to reign it in from now on, but please consider that you may be talking about matters that are directly affecting or have affected people also when discussing matters such as that point of view

As I said many times, I wasn't ever saying I wanted to sacrifice 250,000 people - I said it was the only realistic path. I don't like it or want to do it but that's my opinion. You have a different opinion and that's fine, but please don't accuse me of wanting or be willing to let 250k people die unnecessarily.

Like most people, I know people and have people in my immediate family who are very much in at risk groups which concerns me daily.

But I appreciate the sentiment and suggest we leave this here

I’d say people/cyclists going down tow paths/canals where there isn’t space to avoid each other are equally as irresponsible.

My in laws said they took the dog down the canal in wombourne but could exercise complete social distancing at times due to it narrowing etc. Don’t take the dog down the canal then...

If that’s aimed at me, there was plenty of room to pass safely if you weren’t on a bike in the middle of the path.

Yeah, I read what Give said. He also qualified by saying things like "for most people" and "depending on fitness".

Common sense has to prevail so making sure you don't take unnecessary risks with dodgy routes or dangerous descents, having the tools and knowledge to fix any mechanical issues.

The big issue with going out is encountering other people, which is very easy to avoid on a bike.

I've been pulling out into the middle of the road when I see a pedestrian, but it's just a lot safer if I go a few miles out into the country lanes. Hardly anyone, except other cyclists there.

Absolutely zero guilt for doing a 27 mile 1:30 ride yesterday.

In fact, what I have been noticing is a lot more older riders out on their bikes, which is something I just never used to see. I'm guessing it's due to the roads being much quieter there's a sense that it's actually a lot safer out there at the moment. The older population getting regular exercise and keeping fit. How is that Not good for the NHS?

I just think it's useful or helpful to start turning cyclists into the problem.

I think that's pretty arrogant. I'll defend what I like doing, because it suits me. Mo Farah runs a 10k at a different speed to a 3 hour run, he's still out of breath at the end of it. A time trail in the TDF is cycled quicker than a standard stage, competitors still seemed whacked at the end of it. As I said, people looking for loopholes to suit their own agendas rather than following the spirit of the recommendations/guidelines/regulations

If that’s aimed at me, there was plenty of room to pass safely if you weren’t on a bike in the middle of the path.

One of my friends that has crohns and has a couple of staffies she needs to exercise has had to make a T shirt saying ' stay away dont stroke my dogs' because people are constantly coming up to stroke them when she's out walking them

Wasn’t aimed at you. Just saying cycling in congested spaces is stupid. That doesn’t then mean that all cyclists are wankers so ban cycling.

Same as people walking in congested areas wouldn’t mean all
People going out for walks are wankers.

Beggars belief #4

Apart from the rank idiocy, was anyone else perturbed by : "Seven men and three women The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25."

Sorry already menioned !

Wasn’t aimed at you. Just saying cycling in congested spaces is stupid. That doesn’t then mean that all cyclists are wankers so ban cycling.

Same as people walking in congested areas wouldn’t mean all
People going out for walks are wankers.

That wasn’t the point or the discussion though? This started with discussion about whether it was correct to be out on all day rides? It clearly wouldn’t be correct to be out on all day walks and let’s hope people are not doing that.

Apart from the rank idiocy, was anyone else perturbed by : "Seven men and three women The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25."

Sorry already menioned !
Why should anyone be 'perturbed' by the age difference?

Why should anyone be 'perturbed' by the age difference?

They shouldn't , you are correct again, probably just seven men taking their three daughters away, without their wives.

I’ve also seen a lot of older generations out on their bike. But as you say you go out into the country and there’s no one about Pre Covid or Covid.
Most of the lads I know are mamils. They’re currently lapping up PBs and badges on Strava. The argument is though in the spirit of the lockdown should they just be doing 20 laps of The Parkway in Perton instead of cycling out to the other side of Market Drayton or Shrewsbury and back to Wolverhampton?

That wasn’t the point or the discussion though? This started with discussion about whether it was correct to be out on all day rides? It clearly wouldn’t be correct to be out on all day walks and let’s hope people are not doing that.

Yes it was. But there plenty of dissenting voices on here criticising (or suggesting it’s wrong) for cyclists to go out for more than an hour.

This is where common sense and/or science needs to be used rather than just quoting beige guidance. What’s more dangerous for the country, someone going out for longer on a solo bike ride in the countryside or someone taking the whole family out to the supermarket for the third time in a week. I’d comfortably say the latter by an order of about 10^6.

Yes it was. But there plenty of dissenting voices on here criticising (or suggesting it’s wrong) for cyclists to go out for more than an hour.

This is where common sense and/or science needs to be used rather than just quoting beige guidance. What’s more dangerous for the country, someone going out for longer on a solo bike ride in the countryside or someone taking the whole family out to the supermarket for the third time in a week. I’d comfortably say the latter by an order of about 10^6.
The latter is against guidance.

Most of the lads I know are mamils. They’re currently lapping up PBs and badges on Strava. The argument is though in the spirit of the lockdown should they just be doing 20 laps of The Parkway in Perton instead of cycling out to the other side of Market Drayton or Shrewsbury and back to Wolverhampton?

That's a fair bike ride from Wolverhampton to Market Drayton and really not in the spirit of the regulation.

Not really, it’s common sense mostly. People in urban areas, and Wolverhampton / Black Country in particular, are more likely to have Coronavirus. If you go further from home you are more likely to come into contact with people who haven’t been exposed.

I’m not having a pop at cyclists at all, I’m one albeit a bit shit, but SSB is right - on our walk yesterday there were loads of cyclists whizzing past us on the tow path. We tried to move to the side and I’m sure we avoided breathing on them; I’m certain they cannot say the same.
Common sense has to come into play. But limiting time and distance isn't necessarily common sense. Not riding in built up areas and tow paths is.

It’d be 3 x 4^2.5 I guess. That family might not be able to go out anywhere though, if we are all in it together then we all need to make sacrifices.

It is. But nothing is really being done to stop that but they’ll potentially increase lockdown measures to prevent cycling. Penny wise pound foolish

The rule (not 'guidance') here is 2km max from ones primary residence. (Once a day for exercise).
Seems fairly straightforward.
I'm adhering to it anyway.

The rule (not 'guidance') here is 2km max from ones primary residence. (Once a day for exercise).
Seems fairly straightforward.
I'm adhering to it anyway.

Exercising amile and a half is very different on a bike to walking which is the point being made.

Back