• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

I'm sure If he wanted to, he could have found out himself. The original information from Stuart McDonald wasn't exactly well received and caused me a lof grief.

Yesterday he was putting forward the view that it was OK for 200,000 people, mostly from this group to die, I don't think it's surprising if I'm a little defensive and don't view it simply as ' a question'

Defensive? You have been aggressive in this thread for days. We are all bored and gnarly but surely now is a time to make the effort to avoid spats with each other and the way you responded to a question was not necessary.

Do you want your toys back?

It was just a question

"Instead of just responding on here take the time to go out, expand your sources of information and find out for yourself"

And that was just some friendly advice. If I told you, it would in all likelihood lead to an end endless debate on semantics and what 'I' said and not the highly qualified, highly respected author and organisation saying it. If you took the time to find out yourself there's a slight chance you might actually believe it and understand that these peoples lives should not just be sacrificed rather than debating it with me

It was Gove on Marr. Common sense tells you whatever exercise you choose it shouldn't be taking hours like a 100k bike ride would, so the spirit of what they are saying is being broken even if that isn't the case in a legal definition.

Too much though is open to interpretation which has also lead to some of the ham fisted examples we've seen of policing like the Northants senior officer suggesting checking what it is in people's trolleys or the PC in Rotherham asking people to get off their front lawns.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...tints-to-30-minutes-amid-coronavirus-lockdown
Yeah, I read what Give said. He also qualified by saying things like "for most people" and "depending on fitness".

Common sense has to prevail so making sure you don't take unnecessary risks with dodgy routes or dangerous descents, having the tools and knowledge to fix any mechanical issues.

The big issue with going out is encountering other people, which is very easy to avoid on a bike.

I've been pulling out into the middle of the road when I see a pedestrian, but it's just a lot safer if I go a few miles out into the country lanes. Hardly anyone, except other cyclists there.

Absolutely zero guilt for doing a 27 mile 1:30 ride yesterday.

In fact, what I have been noticing is a lot more older riders out on their bikes, which is something I just never used to see. I'm guessing it's due to the roads being much quieter there's a sense that it's actually a lot safer out there at the moment. The older population getting regular exercise and keeping fit. How is that Not good for the NHS?

I just think it's useful or helpful to start turning cyclists into the problem.

Defensive? You have been aggressive in this thread for days. We are all bored and gnarly but surely now is a time to make the effort to avoid spats with each other and the way you responded to a question was not necessary.

Andy, I'm sorry if I was overly aggressive in discussing your standpoint that it is acceptable that 250,000 people be sacrificed to achieve 'herd immunity', I sincerely apologise. It's a difficult time for everyone, and when someone says something that hits a nerve on a personal level it is easy to let emotions get the better of you , I will try to reign it in from now on, but please consider that you may be talking about matters that are directly affecting or have affected people also when discussing matters such as that point of view

Don’t venture into Wales. The one hour and once piece of exercise is in a regulation there from the Welsh assembly. Not that you could get into Wales in a reasonable time frame unless you were Greg Lemond.

Andy, I'm sorry if I was overly aggressive in discussing your standpoint that it is acceptable that 250,000 people be sacrificed to achieve 'herd immunity', I sincerely apologise

Sarcasm isn’t a good look either.

Unlike the guidance and the statement by the Prime Minister on 24 March 2020 which states explicitly one form of exercise a day e.g. a walk, run or cycle, there is no limitation on the time, period, number of times or distance from home that an individual is allowed to exercise.
So who decided to add the “stay close to home / or in the vicinity” when it’s not been written down in black and white by the PM? Not having a go. Just genuinely interested in this time of boredom.

So who decided to add the “stay close to home / or in the vicinity” when it’s not been written down in black and white by the PM? Not having a go. Just genuinely interested in this time of boredom.

It was Gove wibbling on confusing matters with vague statements that some people have misinterpreted in order to have more ammo with which to have a pop at cyclists.

It was Gove wibbling on confusing matters with vague statements that some people have misinterpreted in order to have more ammo with which to have a pop at cyclists.

Not really, it’s common sense mostly. People in urban areas, and Wolverhampton / Black Country in particular, are more likely to have Coronavirus. If you go further from home you are more likely to come into contact with people who haven’t been exposed.

I’m not having a pop at cyclists at all, I’m one albeit a bit shit, but SSB is right - on our walk yesterday there were loads of cyclists whizzing past us on the tow path. We tried to move to the side and I’m sure we avoided breathing on them; I’m certain they cannot say the same.

The big issue with going out is encountering other people, which is very easy to avoid on a bike.

I've been pulling out into the middle of the road when I see a pedestrian, but it's just a lot safer if I go a few miles out into the country lanes. Hardly anyone, except other cyclists there.

In fact, what I have been noticing is a lot more older riders out on their bikes, which is something I just never used to see. I'm guessing it's due to the roads being much quieter there's a sense that it's actually a lot safer out there at the moment. The older population getting regular exercise and keeping fit. How is that Not good for the NHS?

Agreed and this is where i stand and I’ve also seen a lot of older generations out on their bike. But as you say you go out into the country and there’s no one about Pre Covid or Covid.

Very powerful front page on the Guardian today.
e8d66cb4e1fb549a29f3b08bf55695cf.jpg

Amazing most of the other papers are not making as much noise about this as when less people died in Italy. It’s collective ostrich syndrome.

I have seen a few cyclists on ancient bikes not really suited for proper road use out on public roads without helmets. That should definitely be avoided. Unless or until the time is enforced by regulation a decent cycle seems a good thing to do. You can’t really enforce by distance as a regular club cyclist would go so much further than someone picking up a bike for the first time in years.

I’d say people/cyclists going down tow paths/canals where there isn’t space to avoid each other are equally as irresponsible.

My in laws said they took the dog down the canal in wombourne but could exercise complete social distancing at times due to it narrowing etc. Don’t take the dog down the canal then...

I have seen a few cyclists on ancient bikes not really suited for proper road use out on public roads without helmets. That should definitely be avoided. Unless or until the time is enforced by regulation a decent cycle seems a good thing to do. You can’t really enforce by distance as a regular club cyclist would go so much further than someone picking up a bike for the first time in years.

There were a couple of travellers out on the road yesterday in a trap, which highlighted the amount of traffic on the roads round here since the sun came out as they were all backed up behind them unable to pass.

From runnersworld;

At present, Government advice does not explicitly define what is mean by ‘local’, or for how long runners should be running. Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove said on Sunday 29 March, 'I would have thought for most people a walk of up to an hour, a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.'

Would a 20 odd mile run/jog or cycle ride (unless it's on a circuit) be 'local'?

Yeah, I read what Give said. He also qualified by saying things like "for most people" and "depending on fitness".

Common sense has to prevail so making sure you don't take unnecessary risks with dodgy routes or dangerous descents, having the tools and knowledge to fix any mechanical issues.

Good speed there Machin. I agree with you by the way, if you want to go out then nobody should stop you. Because I'm a little on the heavy side I only managed 14 miles in an hour on Wednesday. Enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine as opposed to my turbo trainer which doesn't go anywhere.

Back