• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff 2 v Wolves 1 verdict thread

Darlo has it spot on - several players in the firs team seem to have become demonstrably worse since Edwards became first team coach. And could I also add our "fitness" coach to the list of those who should be handed P45's?

All these things will come. But we needed a period of stability after the mad rush in of Portugese players and Italian coaches. Once Lambert is ready, axes will fall.
Desperately disappointing, though, to get outplayed by Cardiff.
We have no choice but to stick with Lambert, at least until the end of the season.

Jam, that was almost half a year ago. The coaches were kept because Walter was new to the English game and Fosun probably wanted him to have the advice of coaches who know the players. Lambert has NO excuse for keeping these coaches. He will know well enough what the players bring to the table and knows the Championship very well. HUGE mistake keeping any of the old guard

You said chairmen and CEO's don't change managers to get worse results. But that is exactly what has happened at Wolves.
That says as much about Lambert as it does the Board. Villa, Cardiff and Derby have all changed their manager and seen an appreciable improvement in results. If we'd employed Warnock he would have at least drilled the defence and doubled the protection in front of them.

I agree with everything that Darlo has said there and a lot of fans agree with it. It's blatantly obvious we need a clear out of staff who have consistently proved themselves to be inadequate. I still want to know who at the club rates Rob Edwards because they need to go to and no wonder our goalkeepers can't command an area when Mountain crosses the ball out of play more than in the box in the warm up.

I know Frank isn't always popular but i'm with him that Fosun have to take some of the blame right now as they have been hooked by Thelwell and as long as they have I can't see us going anywhere.

Well that was a long $#@!ing day and all for us to create one real chance that fell to George $#@!ing Saville. Honestly right now this is worse than anything under Zenga and i include Barnsley at home in that because at least we did create chances. There's still on tactics that i can see and we are still relying on Cav, Costa and Doherty to come up with something which is piss poor.

Burgoyne - Didn't have a lot to do despite Cardiff bombarding us with crosses and throw ins. Made one good save in the second half and got pinned by one of their players for the equaliser. Kicked like Lonergan tonight, at least 2 or 3 went straight out play.

Iorfa - Dreadful from the very first to the last minute. Slow to everything, can't control a simple 5 yard pass and didn't look that bothered to be honest. Needs to be taken out of the side and quick.

Batth - I'm the first to criticise him but i can't too much really tonight, he won countless headers and was pretty solid. Still poor on the ball but we know that by now.

Stearman - MOTM. Our best player by a long way imo, he missed nothing of note and like Batth won countless headers but won tackles and mopped up several times.

Doherty - Good strike but Amos really should have saved it. Didn't really get forward to good effect afterwards and backed off Noone constantly after he came on but we know he can't defend.

Saiss - One man midfield again and that's really not his game, sat in front of the centre backs and did pretty well and actually looked to get the ball down and play. 5 or 6 times in the second half alone he gestured to his team mates to give him an option but they were too busy standing still and hiding behind blue shirts.

Edwards - Awful. Looked tired and without being able to run around a lot has nothing. Missed the ball completely at least 4 times when trying to clear with both head and feet. How after 10 years is he still getting regular game time.

Saville - Nothing footballer who as that description says does nothing. I lie he did one thing and that was miss from 4 yards. It was a good save but he shouldn't have given Amos a chance. Ended on the left wing where we know he is even worse. Should be sold.

Costa - Got absolutely clattered early on and never recovered. Most would say it was a yellow but Costa's touch had taken him out of play and Peltier just absolutely hammered him from behind. These tackles should be red cards for me.

Cavaleiro - Always a threat but was restricted to counters by himself with only the hopeless Dicko to help. Was 2 on 2 at one point with Dicko but the latter gave it away after stumbling on the ball. Got scissor tackled by Noone in the second half which didn't even result in a yellow and was replaced by Bright which killed anything we had going forward.

Dicko - Honestly i don;t think he's going to be the same player he was before his injury. It might be too soon to judge him but he just doesn't move the same way he used to and you can tell he's not sure about his body anymore. Can't control the majority of balls that are played to him and it's horrible to watch him at the moment.

SUBS

Teixeira - Was awful for the first 25 minutes that he was on the pitch but it wasn't an easy game to come in to and then he clicked for around 5 minutes but in that time you could tell he's far too intelligent for the players we have and is on a different wavelength. He's not suited to our style of play and it's a shame really because he has ability.

Bright - He tried hard and got in good areas but he was pretty much on his own with Dicko in front of him and then Bod didn't help much. Maybe time to give him a few games in a row and see what he can actually do.

Bod - Did more than Dicko did in his short appearance but he's not the Bod we signed. Doesn't run the channels the same or look to be putting in the same effort and doesn't look as comfortable on the ball.

Referee was awful again. How he gave a corner to Cardiff which resulted in the equaliser baffled everyone in the ground as it was a clear goal kick and he gave every little decision to them. Every little pull and push on them was a foul but our players had to be mauled like Costa and Cav. Little things like their player was allowed to take throw ins from 10 yards further forward but he whistled at ours as soon as they went a yard forward of where it was, sounds petty but when every decision goes their way it's just bull$#@!.

I know it's really early to call for Lambert's head but honestly i'm worrying. We are worse now than under Zenga yet we are going to trust Lambert in January. His selection of Saville was poor and his substitutions even worse. We were crying out for someone to get hold of the ball with Saiss in central midfield but somehow the 2 lads playing hide and seek (Edwards and Saville) stayed on and he took Cav off who was our only threat. Seriously pissed off right now and especially for him to blame it on tiredness from Saturday, $#@! off Paul.

Thanks for your report.

The main concern for me is that rather than have a manager come in and try to change things with some new ideas, we have someone who seems to be plodding on with the same old formula that hasn't been working. Maybe it will take a bit of time for Lambert to change things round but I fear that he is being told how he should be playing and which sets of players he should be using from above (our genius DoF).

Hopefully Fosun can see that a clean sweep is needed - replace Thelwell, get some new coaching staff, new ideas and some new players.

The main concern for me is that rather than have a manager come in and try to change things with some new ideas, we have someone who seems to be plodding on with the same old formula that hasn't been working. Maybe it will take a bit of time for Lambert to change things round but I fear that he is being told how he should be playing and which sets of players he should be using from above (our genius DoF).

Hopefully Fosun can see that a clean sweep is needed - replace Thelwell, get some new coaching staff, new ideas and some new players.
The problem with the new structure is that there isn't anyone outside of Fosun who will sack Thelwell. As I understand it Dalrymple and he are at the same level, so they'd have to do it themselves. It was always the risk to being bought by a business who didn't have any football experience and didn't appoint any from outside.

The problem with the new structure is that there isn't anyone outside of Fosun who will sack Thelwell. As I understand it Dalrymple and he are at the same level, so they'd have to do it themselves. It was always the risk to being bought by a business who didn't have any football experience and didn't appoint any from outside.
I don't think Fosun and Jeff are shy about sacking someone, but I'd imagine they will want to line someone up first. Difficult to get rid of Thelwell midway through a season, plus our younger teams and players actually seem to be developing well.

I've always admired Phil Parkinson's work, he's doing a good job at Bolton, certainly knows his way around League 1 and deserves a chance to have a go with a 'big Club'
I fear the Lambert we have inherited is the latter very dour hang on to what you have one.

I've always admired Phil Parkinson's work, he's doing a good job at Bolton, certainly knows his way around League 1 and deserves a chance to have a go with a 'big Club'
I fear the Lambert we have inherited is the latter very dour hang on to what you have one.
At the moment he probably is but if we've given him the job, we need to back him so he can bring in the kind of players he needs to play his preferred style. Then we'll really see which Lambert we've got!

I daresay we don't have those players here at the moment.

He's not done great with the players at his disposal and I'm not making excuses for him but I won't be calling for his head unless there is no change in fortune after he's been able to bring some new faces in.

It's just as important that we jettison the unwanted players as well.

He's tracking the man that he's stood about 3 foot away from, a man who'd be running clean in behind Batth unmarked if he hadn't bothered to do so.

Yeah but he should be looking across the line in those situations. The guys about 5 yards behind the rest of the team and it's not like it happens quickly. He's running offside and continues to do so.

Yeah but he should be looking across the line in those situations. The guys about 5 yards behind the rest of the team and it's not like it happens quickly. He's running offside and continues to do so.

I've got no real issue with it, he's tracked his man, so he's followed a couple of yards further than he really needed to but the only player he's keeping onside is the one he's tracking so it's not really a problem. I'd rather he'd done that than tried to stop level with Stearman as they retreated and possibly let the player go whilst still onside, you can play for the offside everytime and in some situations it's better to be safe and just track the man.

The big problem in it for me is still Batth, he just stops completely and plants himself there leaving a massive gap in behind him to be exploited, where Cardiff's no.33 heads immediately taking Iorfa with him and leaving a massive space where the ball can just be rolled past the statue of Danny Batth for Pilkington to wander onto. It was pretty much 4 on 3 after Doherty missed out in the challenge but rather than try to hold things up so a midfielder could maybe get back to help out Batth just surrenders and takes himself completely out of the game, useless cunt.

Bloody hell, asif Whittingham is still going [and playing for them]. Seems an eternity since he was raking in the points for me in Championship fantasy football. He scored 20 goals one year.

It's so depressing. I just want a manager or team of people in charge who want to play good football and have a vaguely progressive approach to the whole thing with technically accomplished players. Instead we seem to have another negative old school British coach who things hoofing and running around a lot is the way forward.

I agree that the whole coaching setup needs an overhaul and thelwell needs to fuck off, my only hope is that our hopeless results mean the fosun actually do something about it and don't just pack it all in.

It's so depressing. I just want a manager or team of people in charge who want to play good football and have a vaguely progressive approach to the whole thing with technically accomplished players. Instead we seem to have another negative old school British coach who things hoofing and running around a lot is the way forward.

I agree that the whole coaching setup needs an overhaul and thelwell needs to $#@! off, my only hope is that our hopeless results mean the fosun actually do something about it and don't just pack it all in.

Yep, largely feel the same. Can't blame Lambert for all our woes but he's in because he's convinced people he can get the job done and so far it's been massively underwhelming.

I've got no real issue with it, he's tracked his man, so he's followed a couple of yards further than he really needed to but the only player he's keeping onside is the one he's tracking so it's not really a problem. I'd rather he'd done that than tried to stop level with Stearman as they retreated and possibly let the player go whilst still onside, you can play for the offside everytime and in some situations it's better to be safe and just track the man.

The big problem in it for me is still Batth, he just stops completely and plants himself there leaving a massive gap in behind him to be exploited, where Cardiff's no.33 heads immediately taking Iorfa with him and leaving a massive space where the ball can just be rolled past the statue of Danny Batth for Pilkington to wander onto. It was pretty much 4 on 3 after Doherty missed out in the challenge but rather than try to hold things up so a midfielder could maybe get back to help out Batth just surrenders and takes himself completely out of the game, useless cunt.

I agree with that, and it is god awful from Batth. But if iorfa lets him go then he stays vaguely on the right hand side of the pitch and can probably stop the Pilkington danger.

Yep, largely feel the same. Can't blame Lambert for all our woes but he's in because he's convinced people he can get the job done and so far it's been massively underwhelming.
Totally agree

Totally agree

One of the luxuries of a big squad should be to do some rotation on midweek games. It was fairly obvious that after running his arse off on Saturday, Edwards could have done with being rested.
He's no world beater, but in hindsight a fresh Price would have been a better option.
Let's see what Prince does when he comes back - we could really do with him delivering the goods, though I have my doubts.

I agree with that, and it is god awful from Batth. But if iorfa lets him go then he stays vaguely on the right hand side of the pitch and can probably stop the Pilkington danger.

Then he leaves the number 33 in acres of space though, all the player with the ball would need to do is roll the ball down either side of Batth while he's doing his mannequin challenge and the bloke is clean through in a massive gap between Iorfa and Stearman, it's got to be better to have the free man as the one in the wider position than the one running straight into the middle of your box.

Back