• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Newcastle Utd: Verdict Thread

Newcastle will wonder how they got anything from that game. Another fucking shit penalty decision and VAŔ again showing itself to be a complete failure on it's own terms. Not sure how we don't get a pen for a hold on Sasa either.

On the positive side we were great!
There was a hold on Semedo in the first half, looked like a peno to me, of course Semedo was deemed to have fouled the NU defender. Bullshit.

There was a hold on Semedo in the first half, looked like a peno to me, of course Semedo was deemed to have fouled the NU defender. Bullshit.
That was nothing really. No foul by either player imo

That was nothing really. No foul by either player imo
I was in the South Bank a long way from the incident so can't say with any certainty. If you had a better view I'll accept your judgement.

I think Hwang looked a little lost tonight in his general play as he was being asked to play a much more central position, rather than the more fluid LW role that has given him such success.
I’ve said looked a bit poor but still has a knack of getting important goals

That was one hell of a game of football on a wet night at Molineux - credit to both sets of players for the immense effort they put in, especially our lads of course.

Controversies aside, we were very good against an excellent Newcastle side. A point was the least we deserved and I think it was fully appreciated by a boisterous Molineux. Great atmosphere I thought in the pouring rain, doubt it was as nice if you were getting soaked though but it was almost primeval in the South Bank which I loved.

Sa had little to do, but made a mess of the first Newcastle goal. Defensively otherwise we were excellent across the back, Dawson and Kilman solid. Midfield was where the battle took place, Lemina throughout, and Traore did very well first half I thought, great headed goal by the former. Neto was the usual live-wire, let's hope he isn't out for too long. Hee Chan wasn't at the races first half at all, but then he pops up with what I think was his best goal in a Wolves goal, showing great composure after being set up superbly by an excellent Toti Gomes.

All in all, a great point, very happy with things right now. Gary O'Neil clearly has the boys on his side.

O'Neil for me is the real deal. I used to love reading this forum with some great posts from respected, valued and seasoned posters. That all changed and the disrespect towards players and managers breeds desperation and negativity. I hope some of the regular posters can abstain from the awful vitriol they heap on players and managers or at least temper it. Hwang, Kilearn, Doherty, Sa and others have all been called some terrible names without foundation. Wind it in boys. Let's get this forum back to the good old days. Criticism is OK but the language used is below my expectation of some serial posters. Oh and I'm not a happy clapper more a glass not empty. If you offered me Lop or O'Neil it would be an easy choice for me.
Well said. This can be such a cliquey, aggressive forum if people don't like your opinion. Read some real pathetic posts on here at the start of the season including one hoping we’d lose to Villa so that our young manager would be forced out.

He looked out of his depth for most of the first 5/6 games. As he did at Bournemouth in somes opinions (including myself). He’s now shown some improvement in performance along with some good results and is getting credit.

Well said. This can be such a cliquey, aggressive forum if people don't like your opinion. Read some real pathetic posts on here at the start of the season including one hoping we’d lose to Villa so that our young manager would be forced out.

I can’t really recall anyone saying they hoped we’d purposefully lose games.

We were all a bit apprehensive when we lost a Europa League winning manager for a relatively unproven one but he’s rightfully getting credit now, even from his biggest doubters.

He looked out of his depth for most of the first 5/6 games. As he did at Bournemouth in somes opinions (including myself). He’s now shown some improvement in performance along with some good results and is getting credit.
Again that’s going over the top. He did superbly to keep Bournemouth up.
Poor halves/spells in early games here cost us but the guy had no pre-season and the team’s fitness was obviously not at the level he wanted.
We’re also through in the cup comfortably if our goalkeeper turns up at Ipswich.

I can’t really recall anyone saying they hoped we’d purposefully lose games.

We were all a bit apprehensive when we lost a Europa League winning manager for a relatively unproven one but he’s rightfully getting credit now, even from his biggest doubters.
I can name the poster if you like.

Poor halves/spells in early games here cost us but the guy had no pre-season and the team’s fitness was obviously not at the level he wanted.
We’re also through in the cup comfortably if our goalkeeper turns up at Ipswich.
Agreed. Performances were good in the main but poor spells and fine margins were going against us. Anything good was down to Lopetegui and anything bad he was out of his depth.

He was fortunate to keep Bournemouth up if you look at the stats tbf, and fans I saw warned that the football was pretty turgid and tactically he wasn’t great. Certainly looking like they were wrong though and I also think I personally underestimated how good some of of our players are compared to what he had to work with at Bournemouth.

I was pretty dismayed with the decisions and the O'Neil appointment and the club in general at that time, but he has earned himself credit with me now. Very happy with the recent spell.

Whilst I am enjoying and can see the work put in, I do think some of the plaudits he has received nationally do carry a constructed narrative due to his nationality. Not a concern as such, but a lot of our success has hinged on the use and form of Neto, so am keen to see what O'Neil does or plans now going forward, when Kala came on we looked disjointed and cut off from the midfield 2.

Success in these next run of games will go a long way to me admitting I was wrong about the appointment.

I can name the poster if you like.
Why would you want to do that, I could quote half the matchday thread or the Guess the score thread if I wanted to gain some faux superiority, but I know they are things said 'in that moment', not a stick to beat someone with at any given later date.

Happy to admit I was one of (quite a large % of) the fans that wanted him gone after the Ipswich defeat. At that point I’d seen no plan, no recognised system and his in game management/substitutions were all over the place. In hindsight, I probably went too early with the “I want him gone” posts, and I’m sure others will say the same.

What I will say is I’m delighted that he’s currently proving that % of the fanbase (and me) wrong.

We have a system now (although it will be interesting to see how we set up without Pedro). We have a style. The switch to the back three has really helped. I think it’s also really helped to see his added exposure on TV, and we’ve started to see a bit of Gary O’Neil the man, as well as the tactician. Something many of us hadn’t seen up to that point.

Long may things keep going in the right direction. He’s certainly gone a long way to changing my opinion in recent weeks and I’m delighted about that.

On your other post - you don’t need to name the poster (I think we all know who said they wanted us to lose so he’d be sacked quicker). You’ll always get a few that won’t admit when they’re perhaps on the wrong side of a debate. It is what it is. Hopefully GON keeps them quiet, because it means he’ll be doing well.

Interesting to see what we do without Neto. If Bellegarde isn’t fit I’m not sure what the best solution is on that side - Cunha?

Not sure Sasa really fits with how we play as we need the pacy forwards, a couple of times yesterday he sort of got in the way when Cunha had the ball.

Why would you want to do that, I could quote half the matchday thread or the Guess the score thread if I wanted to gain some faux superiority, but I know they are things said 'in that moment', not a stick to beat someone with at any given later date.
Who said I wanted to? But the poster was suggesting they hadn’t seen anything of the sort…

Interesting to see what we do without Neto. If Bellegarde isn’t fit I’m not sure what the best solution is on that side - Cunha?

Not sure Sasa really fits with how we play as we need the pacy forwards, a couple of times yesterday he sort of got in the way when Cunha had the ball.
I think Sasa gets his chance to start a few games.

I was going to suggest pushing RAN up to the left forward role and Hwang switches to the right, which would keep a front three of pacey, skilful players that we can utilise on the break. But then I realised Hugo B wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. Is he injured? Plus that’s probably too much disruption for the side.

I guess he’ll either put Bellegarde in the Neto role, if he’s fit - as he seems pretty quick and direct - or Sasa will get his chance with Cunha playing from the right.

He could go with a midfield three and put Doyle/Gomes in from the start and play more of a 3-5-2, but again, I think that’s too much disruption to the system/style that’s been working well.

Back