• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Newcastle Utd: Verdict Thread

His exposure on TV is the same sort of stuff the club used to do with Nuno, so then you see the man as well as the manager. I can’t recall Lage or Lopetegui doing it: not sure if it was a personal choice to them or the club are actively ‘marketing’ O’Neil to put the fans back in touch with the club a bit.

He was fortunate to keep Bournemouth up if you look at the stats tbf, and fans I saw warned that the football was pretty turgid and tactically he wasn’t great. Certainly looking like they were wrong though and I also think I personally underestimated how good some of of our players are compared to what he had to work with at Bournemouth.

After hearing him talk on MNF I think his style at Bournemouth was a mixture of his own inexperience (see us earlier in the season as well) and also him pulling the reigns in as he knew that Bournemouth side wasn’t capable of dominating most teams. They did a job on us last season to be fair, however ugly it was to watch.

Not a concern as such, but a lot of our success has hinged on the use and form of Neto, so am keen to see what O'Neil does or plans now going forward, when Kala came on we looked disjointed and cut off from the midfield 2.
I think this will be the key. Imo it's unfair to divorce Neto's good form from the manager, (not saying you were), the previous 3 couldn't get this out of him, so brushing it off, along with Hwang's overall upturn is unfair. That said, I don't think we have a player in the squad who can replicate the energy Neto, Hwang and Cunha put into the game. We certainly can't just put Cunha wide and Sasa down the middle and expect to play the same way. This will be a real test of how tactically astute he is.

Don't really watch much football aside from Wolves so was good to see what Newcastle are like. Everyone is good on the ball under pressure and seem confident in eachother, thought they were good at pressing but it felt controlled, a few passes and then maybe one back to the fullback and its like there was no free man other than all the way over the other side further up the pitch, unless you're David Beckham you're not pinging the ball to him. Shit at describing football but yeah :D

The style has to change now I think, even if just for a few games. Maybe move to two up top and pop an extra midfielder in?

Also a nod to O’Neil yesterday for how he nullified Trippier with RAN who was so far up the pitch it was often like we were playing with four up top.

I think playing a three behind Hwang of Bellegarde/Doyle/Cunha could work but it would have to be quite narrow and could mean the full backs don't always have support out wide to create those 2 v 1 that Gazza mentioned after the game last night.

He was fortunate to keep Bournemouth up if you look at the stats tbf, and fans I saw warned that the football was pretty turgid and tactically he wasn’t great. Certainly looking like they were wrong though and I also think I personally underestimated how good some of of our players are compared to what he had to work with at Bournemouth.
I think you can look at Bournemouth's squad and the difficulties they are having now and see what a good job he did there. He did the best with that squad that pretty much could be expected. Better really. He got them to overachieve. He got them playing to their strengths and it looks like he's already got this Wolves squad playing to their strengths. That's good management.

The big thing for me is that he's got us scoring more goals than we ever did which is to his credit. And obviously the tactical switch after we were looking a bit lost after the Ipswich game.

A fit and firing Neto helped with the former but he has definitely improved certain players. Though it'd be nice if he could improve Kilman and Sa!

The loss of Neto is a worry on how we’ll cope I don’t fancy mr vanilla (Sarabia) stepping up

The loss of Neto is a worry on how we’ll cope I don’t fancy mr vanilla (Sarabia) stepping up
I'd completely forgotten about him. Time for him to step up and show why he scored so many goals for Sporting.

Well said. This can be such a cliquey, aggressive forum if people don't like your opinion. Read some real pathetic posts on here at the start of the season including one hoping we’d lose to Villa so that our young manager would be forced out.

What was stopping you (or 'Bev's Trousers') from disagreeing with negative initial opinions about O'Neil there and then rather than waiting nearly three months to say anything?

Agreed, but like many of us, I feel maybe this isn't the league for him
His best position appears to be being given something of a free role in behind the forward. He's behind Cunha and Bellegarde to do that though if we go to a formation that has that.

He looked out of his depth for most of the first 5/6 games. As he did at Bournemouth in somes opinions (including myself). He’s now shown some improvement in performance along with some good results and is getting credit.
Absolutely this.

He was utterly clueless for the first 6 games until Burchnall joined up and completed his backroom team. Now he has his pieces in place he's having a decent run of games.

It's only been 5 games though and my view on GoN isn't that he's a new Messiah like some but if he continues to do what he's doing with the management team and players then he'll earn respect from everybody (not just irrelevant football fans on a forum).

Whilst everybody wants us to do well I'm pleased seeing us have an actual style and players knowing what they are doing.

If those saying how good GoN was at the start of the season can't see that huge change then they're outing themselves as the football ignoramuses they are.

Again that’s going over the top. He did superbly to keep Bournemouth up.
Poor halves/spells in early games here cost us but the guy had no pre-season and the team’s fitness was obviously not at the level he wanted.
We’re also through in the cup comfortably if our goalkeeper turns up at Ipswich.
Bournemouth fans thought he was absolutely clueless.

Poor halves are on the manager. And it's laughable saying we had no preseason. We were firing against Rennes and looked right up for Utd.

Of course it depends who your mates are which may colour your opinion

Please quit the passive aggressive shite and just have a go if you've got the bollocks, that goes for @Jinky and others too.

Last edited:
More than merited that point yesterday. I think if Neto doesn't get injured we go on and win it, they were properly hanging on and barely got out of their own half.

No value in doing the penalty decision to death, we know it's a howler, we know it shouldn't happen, it does. It isn't something we can change and PGMOL evidently still have their collective heads in the sand.

After a good run of games this wasn't Bouba's best outing and for the second game in a row Doyle made a real difference when he came on. Always looks for the progressive pass and strikes the ball so nicely when he does.

Some familiar failings - if Semedo could even vaguely cross then we have a tap in second half, Cunha has to add goals to all the other good stuff, Sa is always liable to have one of those moments - but that's where the squad is. The encouraging thing is that we are playing some good football, don't get overawed against the better teams, there's plenty of fight and intensity there and we are very unlikely to be in any serious relegation trouble. Which I think we'd all have taken a month ago, when we'd lost 4 out of 6, just been knocked out of the cup by a Championship team and had the European champions up next.

Back