• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Liverpool: The Verdict.

Alan

…unlucky Del - No chance 😉
Reaction score
Very little to be ashamed of from that. A really strong performance overall and we made Liverpool earn the three points.

Only negatives for me:
  • Ruben still doesn't look right. I can't remember the last time he played one of his highlight passes and it wasn't either intercepted or gone out of play.
  • Boly had about five moments that could have gifted goals to Liverpool. Granted, Salah will make better defenders than Willy look worse, but it was still disappointing to see him with so many unforced errors.
  • Morgan didn't quite have an impact on the match after coming on. He wasn't bad (aside from THAT miss), but nor was he as good as in past weeks. In fairness, we had just about lost control of things at that point.

But overall, about as positive of a 0 - 2 loss as you can have.

Liverpool were very good, no complaints.

Apart from Naby Keita that is - the guy only stood up so he could fall over again.

No shame in losing to them, they’re a good side, they’ll finish second this year.

No grumbles. Best team won. Move on. It's games v Fulham Cardiff and Huddersfield that defines our season. This Liverpool team are class. Best Liverpool team this century. No shame at all

Liverpool were very good, no complaints.

Apart from Naby Keita that is - the guy only stood up so he could fall over again.

No shame in losing to them, they’re a good side, they’ll finish second this year.

They will win it by 10 points. They are 20% better than city. Klopp has it right from front to back. I fancy us in the cup though

I'm not sure it was that much of a miss for MGW, Alan. Came at him very, very quickly.
And thought there were real positives there. Traore best game in a Wolves shirt for me - finally starting to look like part of a team. Think the team is better with Saiss than without him.
And let's be honest, Liverpool beat Man United far more easily than they beat us. The job now is beat Fulham.

Impressed with them. Looked like they had another gear. Very long way to go yet. Their keeper is they actual best signing out of him and Van Dyke who seems to get all the praise and attention.

I'm not sure it was that much of a miss for MGW, Alan. Came at him very, very quickly.
And thought there were real positives there. Traore best game in a Wolves shirt for me - finally starting to look like part of a team. Think the team is better with Saiss than without him.
And let's be honest, Liverpool beat Man United far more easily than they beat us. The job now is beat Fulham.

It wasn't awful, but you would like him to at least hit the target from that range.

No disgrace in that defeat. They are really, really good. The speed of their passing and the movement off the ball is the best I've seen us up against this season. We gave them a decent game and had enough chances to have made them work for the win. You can see why they have only conceded 7 goals all season, they are good all over the pitch. Shame Boly had a couple of iffy moments and Neves did the dirty work well but his passing wasn't the best. Jiminez again played well and I thought Traore did well enough. Saiss was good apart from one moment where he gave the ball away cheaply. Doherty, Coady and Bennett superb I thought.

Absolutely the correct and deserved result for Liverpool, who I thought were excellent. Lovely side to watch, so fair play to them. I think a 2-1 scoreline, which we should have got would have entirely reflected the evening's play, but it wasn't to be.

Still a lot to be proud of there. We played well, but they are simply a better side. I think they are at least as good as Manchester City. But we weren't battered and there wasn't a siege of the Alamo. We gave them a good game, and it made a decent spectacle, at least from my viewpoint in the ground. It certainly beats playing Rotherham and Brentford.

Played well but better team won, the difference was in each box. Without getting all super fan, you need to see Salah in the flesh to really appreciate him, absolutely beasted Boly tonight. Off to bed

Agree with all of that. Whole team played well, they just had Salah and Van Dyke. Good game and good performance. On to the next.

Bit of a free hit game so not too much to be disappointed about.

We gave a pretty good showing of ourselves in the first half. Started well, confidence took a hit after the goal and got dominated but we grew into the game and were doing quite well for the rest of the half - unlucky to go in at the break behind.

Second half they closed the game out well and we were never in it, always going to be one result.

The speed of some of Liverpool's attacks were impressive and they have very good off-the-ball movement but the goals are not the best to concede. Got done by a basic one-two for the first goal and nobody goes to Fabinho. Second is a poor clearance and then Bennet doesn't pick van Dijk up.

Few other observations and thoughts:
  • Starting Traore was a mistake, as per. He wasn't as bad as normal but to pitch our one-trick pony that couldn't trap a ball to save his life against probably the best defender in the league was an error. Traore never really tested van Dijk when there were times for him to do so. Still runs in a straight line, why he was offside for that chance I have no idea, and his awareness is still poor.
  • They identified the right side as our weaker side and this was where the danger was coming from, Keita found a pocket of space in front of Doherty and this was where they created chances first half. Could have done with some support but this isn't why Traore is on the pitch or something he is capable of.
  • Neves was disappointing offensively, needs to improve his shooting.
  • Rui's kicking is still really bad.
  • Boly had a nightmare in the second half, was getting embarassed by Salah time and time again, was a mercy for him that the whistle went as he made a number of errors which could have led to goals.
  • We are shaky when defending corners.
  • Saiss should have scored but was otherwise very good in the first-half, was impressed.
  • Vinagre had a bright cameo.
  • For all this talk about what a good professional Milner is he seems like a cheating twat.
  • The light show was better than the usual pre-match stuff.

Not sure about all this fawning over Liverpool as they weren't all that impressive. Mane and Firminio were very quiet - Salah had a lot of shots and had the beating of Boly repeatedly but kept trying to score the same goal and Patricio had it covered at the near post. Solid defensively and they have a top CB but we put a clown up against him unfortunately. They saw the game out well and that was how they won.

Van Dijk is absolutely majestic to be fair. What a fucking player. Wow.

A clown? Don't be a dick, he's one of our players. Take it off to the Troare thread where you can all get your rocks off insulting our players.

Absolutely the correct and deserved result for Liverpool, who I thought were excellent. Lovely side to watch, so fair play to them. I think a 2-1 scoreline, which we should have got would have entirely reflected the evening's play, but it wasn't to be.

Still a lot to be proud of there. We played well, but they are simply a better side. I think they are at least as good as Manchester City. But we weren't battered and there wasn't a siege of the Alamo. We gave them a good game, and it made a decent spectacle, at least from my viewpoint in the ground. It certainly beats playing Rotherham and Brentford.

Very much reminded me of the cup against City last season (with Bright missing those 1-on-1s).

A clown? Don't be a dick, he's one of our players. Take it off to the Troare thread where you can all get your rocks off insulting our players.

+1

I thought Traore did pretty well tonight. Caused them some issues. And we ALL know I am not his biggest fan. To call him a clown tonight is frankly churlish.

I could see some progress. More heads up looking where to move the ball. Good runs too. Yes he missed a good chance, but so did others.

Nice bit of tackling back in front of me too. Still not quite right for us, but coming along. Would have looked to see him up against that nob Milner more.

Didn't think Traore was all that good. A lot of the time he never seemed alert when we had the ball and his decision-making was poor again, pace never utilised and the game had gone by the time we brought Cav on.

Very much reminded me of the cup against City last season (with Bright missing those 1-on-1s).

Reasonable comparison. Liverpool were a lot more solid than City were in that game and we never forced Allison into making a challenging save but the chances were there. Difference is Liverpool have van Dijk and City were using Mangala in that game.

Back