• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

I swear I only just realised Dave Grohl drummed for Nirvana. I probably knew but didn't know if you get me.

I appreciate that you are probably only about 10 years younger than me but christ that makes me feel old...

Cobain died 20 years ago next april.
I can still remember being sat in a pub the day after, surrounded by miserable teenagers.
How the fuck d'you think I feel?

I appreciate that you are probably only about 10 years younger than me but christ that makes me feel old...

I can still remember being sat in a pub the day after, surrounded by miserable teenagers.

:icon_lol: No it's more bad on me, I have listened to Nirvana for ages, how did I not properly realise?

Here's one then LJ - How big would Nirvana have gone/Were they liked so much back then? in your opinion

:icon_lol: No it's more bad on me, I have listened to Nirvana for ages, how did I not properly realise?

Here's one then LJ - How big would Nirvana have gone/Were they liked so much back then? in your opinion

i actually think having vinyl made you look more at record sleeves and seeing who was actually in bands compared to cds.

though given how active grohl is it's surprising that piece of info has passed you by.

nirvana were bigger than anything back then. in utero was a good direction they were heading, helped of course by choosing an uncompromising producer in the great steve albini

http://www.spin.com/articles/steve-albini-nirvana-in-utero-four-page-letter-produce/

talking of albini, shellac are now playing the institute next monday. i'll be on a train heading back from london ffs.

Just read that letter. It sounds like Alan USA has wrote it. Haha

I still remember the exact moment I found he'd died. I was devastated.

B3h, from 1991 onwards Nirvana were massive and would only have got bigger.

I've posted this before but I still can't get over the emotions in this song.

He may be a hip-hop artist, but in the words of Murs (not Olly...), "good music transcends all physical limits".

It's absolute perfection.

I still remember the exact moment I found he'd died. I was devastated.

B3h, from 1991 onwards Nirvana were massive and would only have got bigger.

I'm not sure they'd have gone on much further from In Utero, which just drips anger and disillusionment. Cobain clearly wasn't comfortable with the fame, and given Grohl's subsequent career, I can't see that he'd have stuck around for too much longer.

Obviously tragic that KC died, but I kind of like that the band itself came and went and never got old.

Cobain allegedly wasn't comfortable with fame. I feel he was more uncomfortable with intrusion into personal life issues. How he'd cope with twitter etc, who knows.

He was a drug user too, & that could've impacted on the bands trajectory.

However he was also quite innovative in his stuff.

b3h Nirvana & the "seattle scene" was an underground thing that took off ridiculously. It's an area full of contradictions, as the bands associated were spiralled to fame via MTV etc, despite being quite anti-corporate (see also pearl jam v ticketmaster). Bleach was quite low key, though there were people murmuring that there was a lot of potential there. Teen Spirit blew the scene up, but Nirvana had songs equally as strong, so were never going to be one hit wonders.

Where would they have gone? Dunno. They could've been immense - KC had a fairly good vision for where he wanted to go, as well as a healthy dose of cynicism. At the same time, he could've gone like Syd Barrett. Novoselic always had his politics, & as mentioned who knows to what extent Grohl would've stayed (perhaps KC's death thrust him on to do what he's done? Without that, he may not have gone down the road he has.) Alternately, they could've fallen apart. The worse case scenario is they could've become parodies of themselves.

There's a decent progression with their albums. Bleach is very raw (still love school), Nevermind added polish, In Utero is quite abrasive & a bit of a reaction to Nevermind. Incesticide is a good collection of stuff too.

I had a ticket for the villa arena show due for may 1994...

i actually think having vinyl made you look more at record sleeves and seeing who was actually in bands compared to cds.

though given how active grohl is it's surprising that piece of info has passed you by.

nirvana were bigger than anything back then. in utero was a good direction they were heading, helped of course by choosing an uncompromising producer in the great steve albini

http://www.spin.com/articles/steve-albini-nirvana-in-utero-four-page-letter-produce/

talking of albini, shellac are now playing the institute next monday. i'll be on a train heading back from london ffs.

Excellent point. I miss album covers so much.
Special albums still get bought on vinyl though.

BTW, cheers for posting the tribe called quest vid. Had that album on a lot since! Wonderful to re-visit it. That's a great thing about these threads.

Interesting stuff.

I hope you framed that ticket :(.

Nirvana were not the best band of that period but for whatever reason they were the ones that connected with people the most (says me, the expert, who was 13 when Kurt killed himself!). There is something about them and Kurt in particular that keeps connecting with generation after generation of young rock fans.

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania - Guy Mitchell !

Thanks to Mr Westwood :p

Back