• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Sam Johnstone

He made 2 or 3 decent saves today.

He also dived out of the way of the first goal and then produced a Lonergan kick combined with an Ikeme save for the fifth goal.

And provided zero command off the many, many, many set pieces we readily gave away.

Thing is though Sa is just a collection of different problems, so what do you do.

Decent isn't the level needed. Not that it was you, but can't believe there was anyone that had watched him last year and thought he would be an upgrade.

I personally would be putting Sa back in regardless. Johnstone is stiff, unathletic, slow and ponderous at this level too often and that is heightened by our poor performances. We have seen all the things with him already that made Palace upgrade him. It was deluded of anyone thinking he was going to unlock some next level for us given what we paid and what his market was.

I don't see how Sa improves the situation.

Atrocious on both Arsenal goals, Chelsea might have scored their second anyway but he's wandering around like a fucking drunk in the middle of nowhere again and at least another one goes right through him, awful on every goal at Brighton in the League Cup and then factor in his usual mix of ridiculous kicking and random errors out of nowhere.

I don't see what he's actually giving you.

They're both shit.

We could try King. It might motivate the players to press and block every shot, knowing they have a traffic cone in net.

I don't see how Sa improves the situation.

Atrocious on both Arsenal goals, Chelsea might have scored their second anyway but he's wandering around like a fucking drunk in the middle of nowhere again and at least another one goes right through him, awful on every goal at Brighton in the League Cup and then factor in his usual mix of ridiculous kicking and random errors out of nowhere.

I don't see what he's actually giving you.

They're both shit.
What. A. Mess.

He's shit. He was our best player today but he's still shit. Sa's bad days are worse, and his good days are better. None of them have business playing at this level, but signing this prick for £10m while keeping Sa in the building is up there with the most baffling footballing decisions we've made. Absolute fucking joke

Could have spent the money on the goalkeeper we actually wanted instead of being cheap?

Although of course that would have probably been an even greater waste of money considering the issues elsewhere on the pitch.
ten mill is not cheap! esp when you're constantly casting out the story that money is tight.

ten mill is not cheap! esp when you're constantly casting out the story that money is tight.
The fee isn't cheap, but it's acting cheap when for £7m more we could have got the one we actually wanted, who is younger and better. Although there's a debate to be had about how much better. Bottom line is we wanted him over Johnstone and didn't do the deal due to acting cheaply.

Let's pretend it's 1991 again, this is Question of Sport and I'm David Coleman. I can certainly pull off a jumper in the same way he did. Quite remarkable.

In our "What Happened Next?" round, does this header go in or not?

Collins2.png

Sa made mistakes but he could also win you a game, which Johnstone can't.

Sa also has the balls to try and command his box. The commentator yesterday noted that Brentford looked like scoring from every corner, and whilst us not marking their players helped, the fact Johnstone would not ever consider coming off his line was a massive factor as well.

His distribution is below average, like Sa. He is not comparable when it comes to collecting crosses, and he is just below Sa with shot-stopping.

It could be a real bonus that Sa didn't leave. I can't believe any competent manager will come in, look at those two keepers, and decide Johnstone is the better one.

....or they could watch the Chelsea, Arsenal and Brighton games and think we are fucked either way. Johnstone suddenly making Sa look good is 10/10 on the Rosa scale

They could, but I think Sa deserves a bit more respect. He has had two good/very good seasons with us.

Johnstone at this level has a relegation and losing his place for Palace.

Sa is clearly a better keeper.
Is he? He's had one good season, 1 bad, one poor and a car crash at the start of this. He's not clearly better, if he is it's marginal, they are both flawed.

Is he? He's had one good season, 1 bad, one poor and a car crash at the start of this. He's not clearly better, if he is it's marginal, they are both flawed.

I think he is as explained above and I feel that assessment of Sa is harsh.

Johnstone's shot-stopping would need to be exceptional to make up for his unwillingness to ever come off his line, but it isn't. It's a key factor of his game that hasn't improved in years.

Sa is flawed but he is also capable of great moments.

I would swap Johnstone for any other Premier League no.1 keeper without hesitation (and there are a lot of average keepers about)

I think it’s a bit like Luke Shaw missing the Euros and, when he’s not playing, it’s a bit like we’re missing a prime Ashley Cole.

Make no bones about it, Jose Sa isn’t a great keeper.

Granted, he might look like one today.

Yes. 3 bad games are against better sides than Forest and Brentford. Villa are a very good side and Johnstone didn't make a save. Overall Sa has had a better career and actually been an okay Prem starter. Johnstone is an unathletic journey man with slow footwork.

There is only one area where he is an unquestionable upgrade and it's his mid range kickings. And it's not good enough or important enough to make up for the goals like Villa 2nd and the Brentford one above, where he stands there and you already think he has zero chance.

Back