• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Neto and Jordao

The transfer fees look high but then most of them do this season. That aside both players look to have decent potential, shouldn't lose much value and may produce decent profits long term.

Some Wolves fans really have to stop acting as if it’s their money being spent. It’s not healthy.

I think it's a summary that sits on the fence. The first part mainly implies that Wolves (Fosun) have been hoodwinked (maybe we have). The second part implies that it could be good business (maybe it is) by the club (ie. Fosun).
I'll take the last paragraph for now though.

I think it's a summary that sits on the fence. The first part mainly implies that Wolves (Fosun) have been hoodwinked (maybe we have). The second part implies that it could be good business (maybe it is) by the club (ie. Fosun).
I'll take the last paragraph for now though.

Until we see them play a bit, it could be either. Having said that, we’ve been pretty good at developing players and they clearly have talent, so hopefully this will work out well.

It's a bit of a weird one.

On the face of it looks very much like a move motivated by reasons other than football but with very little knowledge of them as players it's pretty much impossible to say there won't turn out to be some footballing benefit to the move. The fee looks pretty excessive given the prices paid for players with far better track records in recent years but again, who's to say they don't prove to be worth it once they've had a bit of time on the pitch.

I don't think there's any harm in looking at these moves with a healthy dose of scepticism but at the same time it's not like these lads have bummed along for years of nothing on the back of some FM hype like if you'd signed a 23 year old Freddy Adu, they're much more of an unknown quantity than that. If they'd rocked up for sub £10m combined I think people would see it as a fair punt, boost U23s and keep fingers crossed for something more but the rumoured fees make it more of a gamble and add a sinister note.

Tyrone Mings 26.5 million and I know he's not worth that. Puts this into a little more perspective.

Not really. Mings may have his detractors but he is 26 years old, been on loan at the club and been a success and has some top flight experience, they were also dreadfully threadbare so his signings was a necessity for the first 11.

Not buying the 'this is the cost of football' angle that people are wanting to push or use to justify this, and it's not unreasonable to be worried that this transfer is the first indication that everything isn't on our terms with our relationship with Mendes, which will be the case until we see anything from these two. Could be that come Thursday they (or one) are on the bench. Which would go a long way to already easing some of my concerns.

It's a business arrangement. Fosun and Nuno aren't stupid and neither is Mendes. Play some games with Jorge and he'll get us Dias or whoever.

Mendes didn't get where he is by screwing over his business partners.

Worst case scenario, we sell one or both of them in a few years and make some money back. Best case scenario, we've got in on the ground floor with some proper talent- for all that the fees are inflated, there's undoubtedly some potential with these two (Neto in particular seems like a real prospect).

If we want to mix it with the elite, we're going to have to learn to accept stuff like this- the top clubs spend millions on unproven talent in hopes of unearthing one or two gems along the way.

The top clubs already have plenty of proven talent in their squads though; we don't, we have a great first XI and not a huge amount beyond that.

I don't think I can have a conclusive opinion on these two until the window shuts; but if this is the last of our business then I don't think we've pushed the boat out to the extent many of us were hoping for this summer.

I mean, that's the philosophy, isn't it? Tight, self-contained squads, without bloat, and with an eye to blooding new talent.

I said it in the other thread- if we bring in one more new signing in the right position this week, I'll consider this a very successful window indeed, with prudent business done and players which fit the system brought in. I don't need us to be signing superstars- keeping the team that did so well and adding the right players to it is fine by me.

Also, aren't we third in net spend as it is? Just because we've not paid attention to the £50 million we spent on Jimenez and Dendoncker as a fanbase, didn't mean the money wasn't spent.

Nuno wants a small squad
Costa and Cav, tested but found wanting in certain areas have gone.
Cutrone and Jesus are here.
As are the Mendes twins who are talented and have something to prove.
We have everyone we want tied up on decent deals, a settled team, squad, coaching staff and no prima donnas.

We have better cover and quality after the business we have done. Can we really ask more?

I agree with the general thrust of that; the lack of bloat and a tight squad, and I'm happy with that approach...I just would be happier with a definite addition to the first XI.

I doubt Vallejo/Cutrone will be that straight away, and Neto and (especially) Jordao are a level (at least) behind that.

I don't want us to have a 30 player squad but the least I want is improved bench strength and the ability to change a game from there with quality; last year the likes of Costa, Cav, Traore and MGW weren't amazing at this.

As you say, the bench is where our issues were last season- the first XI were excellent, but we didn't have the options to change the game off the bench. That's why the Cutrone signing in particular was so important- he won't start every game, but he offers us a totally new option when the chips are down.

I'd be surprised if Vallejo wasn't generally preferred to Bennett, for what it's worth; we haven't brought him in on loan to warm our bench.

I think Jesus will be first choice before August is out and Cutrone offers an alternative from the bench whilst maintaining our formation we've not had before. If we sign a AM who breaks into the box as a further option I'll be happy

So do we think Neto coming off the bench would be a wing-back replacement, a Jota replacement or a forward in a change to 3-4-3?

Thelwell has said they are for the U23s at least for the moment, so it's not really relevant

Thelwell has said they are for the U23s at least for the moment, so it's not really relevant

I doubt two players for the under 23 squad would have had as much media exposure on the official club accounts as these two have. They’ll almost certainly be in and around the match day squad - despite what Johnny’s best mate has or has not said.

He will do the same as what Costa and Cav did. Come on as forward player one way or the other. Whether that be like for like for fresh legs or as an additional forward player if we’re chasing the game.

Back