• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

Really, really excellent article DW. Difficult to read, but I'm very glad you can write it and really glad you are in a much better place than 4 years ago.

Best of luck with making a success of your writing, you absolutely should be successful at it.

Excellent and brave piece, DW. Strikes many a chord with me (living with a long-term depressed person).

I only know you through your writing (blog and here) and I can assure you, it's good. Even if you can't make a living out of it in the long term (and no reason why you shouldn't be able to), it would be no reflection on its quality.

A humbling read Deutsch - I've not known you as long as many others & was only aware of some of your difficulties, but think that you must be in a somewhat 'better place' now to be able to write as openly & honestly about it.

As to the writing I would suspect that there are enough people (on here & elsewhere) who will give an honest opinion on quality rather than just a sycophantic one & tell you what they think you want to hear.

Another excellent piece. I'm really glad to hear that things are going in the right direction and credit to you for the progress you have made.

However, not even fitting Charlotte Hatherley into the article can excuse an alice band!

OMG - I have a mental picture of DW wearing an alice band!

I do feel it’s under control now,
This is excellent. It highlights the progress you've made. It is important to remember that sometimes your negative self perception isn't what you think about yourself, but is symptomatic of your condition.
I can accept that it’s simply not an illness that you get rid of. It’s not like breaking your leg and the bone heals; what I have doesn’t go away. Never will. It’s just all about reducing the impact it has on your life.
This bit interested me. I take a similar line with people I work with who struggle with their MH. I'm not clinically trained, but it is how I operate.
I definitely feel that it doesn’t define me, although I will always speak out about mental health conditions whenever a conversation goes down that direction; I am, at least, qualified to speak.
Bravo! And you should. We NEED this conversation DW. Not too long ago, MH was climbing up the agenda. BBC3 had a season of programmes on MH. Awareness rose. Sadly, that appears to have tailed off, but we need the likes of you to keep banging the drum, reminding all and sundry that it is an issue that affects us every single day.
I’m still on medication which I suppose I could try coming off, but I’m not quite ready to take that risk. Maybe in 2018. We’ll see.
On this, you will know better than anyone. I just wish you luck.

I don't have a (diagnosed) MH condition. But I can relate - especially the ups and downs. Mine may not be as significant, but the analogy is there. And talking about it certainly helps.
I'm going to pop something on a related note on the happy thread in a minute. A student I helped has written an article on their MH. I arrived this morning to see an email from them asking if I wanted a read. I made a cuppa, sat down, and feel ridiculously humbled, as I did very little in the grand scheme of the challenges they faced.
Stay strong!

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't flood my site with pieces like that but it's good for me just to assess things every few months and put the words down about how I'm feeling. As I say, it's not been an especially easy couple of weeks but if I can weigh up that generally, things are alright (and I have to accept a fair few bumps in the road, it's always going to happen, that's the territory) then it helps.

However, there's no disputing this:

And there's no excuse for wearing an alice band at 36. Or any age really. I blame Ben Marshall.

With regard to the writing, I've only got one shot at it realistically and it has to happen now. We'll see how it goes, I enjoy doing it, enough people tell me I'm good enough to do it...I can only give it my best.

With regard to the writing, I've only got one shot at it realistically and it has to happen now. We'll see how it goes, I enjoy doing it, enough people tell me I'm good enough to do it...I can only give it my best.

If you enjoy writing, then you are absolutely right to give it a go because check the feedback you get, check the number of readers you get - you're very, very good at it. People aren't just saying that to be nice - this is TWF we're talking about, where the last count put the posting population as approximately 62.6% utter arsehats - it's because your stuff is good, with the right balance of statistics, humour, realism and interesting content. You've got a talent for writing!

And that didn't have the opposite effect? I guess you can't call anything these days...

I know without you posting, it'd have fallen below 50%

I+would+make+the+punishments+increasingly+harsher+though+50+would+_3ec1c8c9318e2b0436c9062ff95d3380.gif

You have my Facebook and Instagram for that.

Oh I know, I have a forearm like Popeye :)

If you enjoy writing, then you are absolutely right to give it a go because check the feedback you get, check the number of readers you get - you're very, very good at it. People aren't just saying that to be nice - this is TWF we're talking about, where the last count put the posting population as approximately 62.6% utter arsehats - it's because your stuff is good, with the right balance of statistics, humour, realism and interesting content. You've got a talent for writing!

Thanks man.

I figure that a) I've got nothing to lose, and if I never have a proper go, then I'll end up regretting it for the rest of my life, and b) the reaction is such that they can't ALL be just saying nice things to make me feel better, that wouldn't happen. So it doesn't really matter what I think, the evidence is all there.

It might not work out but it definitely won't be for lack of effort. I suppose I might run out of humorous ways to describe Doherty and Edwards, or captions for pictures of Saunders eventually.

Appalling scenes in London this morning.

Back