• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not fees for January. They're for the end of the loan, though if we want to do it sooner we can.

Ah right. Same difference then really.

Can't see us doing all three in one window on top of other spending though.

I thought Boly’s agreement was specifically on promotion, not sure where I got that from.

I thought Boly’s agreement was specifically on promotion, not sure where I got that from.

I thought Jota was also based on promotion, could be wrong though

Don't think that's written into either, it's just that neither are going to spend a second year in the Championship. So we don't go up and we can forget it.

So logic suggests that Jota and Boly won't sign in January.

So logic suggests that Jota and Boly won't sign in January.

Not necessarily. We pay Atletico/Porto the money in January and tell the two that they can go in the unlikely event of us not getting promoted and Wolves end up profiting from the deal, as at very least Jota is worth more than what we've already agreed.

It's the "promotion clause" which makes no sense (and which doesn't exist in all likelihood), if the loan comes to an end and we haven't gone up then they just won't sign, it's that simple.

Not that much is different from standard football logic. If you're in the Championship then you don't get to keep good players for very long, which is why even in our more straitened days the argument of "I prefer the Championship to the Premier League" was always total nonsense.

I can imagine at least Atletico wanting a buy-back clause. So we buy Jota in January, if we don't get promoted the buyback is n Euros. If we get promoted the buyback is n * 2. Or something like that.

They aren't going to sell him then buy him back inside six months.

He'd get nowhere near Atletico's team right now and they have Diego Costa arriving in three weeks or so. The only way they'd see him as an option is if they sold Griezmann then banked most of the money to pay off a chunk of the stadium debt (which I'm sure would go down amazingly with the fans).

We're talking about a club who have made two Champions League finals in the last four years here. I love Diogo but he is not at that level yet, not anywhere near.

I can imagine a certain segment of the fanbase there wanting to give Jota a chance to replace Gaitan (who has flopped horribly there).

I can imagine a certain segment of the fanbase there wanting to give Jota a chance to replace Gaitan (who has flopped horribly there).

I imagine you're absolutely clueless about Madrid's fanbase.

I thought we had a fee agreed for January as with the others?

If we make him, Jota and Leo permanent that will be getting on for £30m surely?

And we've been linked with Rafa Silva again recently for €15m. Unless we cashed in on Costa I doubt we'd buy him permanently. A loan more likely.

I think I saw that Boly was e12m, Jota £10m and Bonatini £5m so about £25m?

Charming as ever.

I have no idea what most fan bases think on their particular clubs as I don't follow them, following one club is time consuming enough so quite how you can gauge another club's fan base is a pretty daft thing to do.

For instance, we have one thread on our forum for our loanees and the dark side will pop up every now and again about loanees. Twitter is barely awash with Wolves fans on their loanees so what makes you think Madrid fans are going to know about a player, playing in the second tier of English football, or is going to be on any of their radar?

Gaitan has been awful for Atleti, he doesn't fit in to their team in any way and i don't think Jota does either because they generally play a narrow 4 and 2 up top. He probably could do a job up there but with Costa coming back i don't see it. It wouldn't be unlike a Spanish side to have a buy back clause though in with a transfer fee as they do that quite often. Pretty sure Atleti fans know about Jota too, they paid £7 million for him and he was on loan to a Champions League side last year not some tin pot club. Doubtful any of them think he's good enough for their side although a few might.

Gaitan has been awful for Atleti, he doesn't fit in to their team in any way and i don't think Jota does either because they generally play a narrow 4 and 2 up top. He probably could do a job up there but with Costa coming back i don't see it. It wouldn't be unlike a Spanish side to have a buy back clause though in with a transfer fee as they do that quite often. Pretty sure Atleti fans know about Jota too, they paid £7 million for him and he was on loan to a Champions League side last year not some tin pot club. Doubtful any of them think he's good enough for their side although a few might.

Can't see it Slink, it's the equivalent of us buying Prince and then having an interest on how he did in France on loan.

Maybe we should buy Gaitan then? He would fit our system...

100% joking as that would be fucking monumentally beyond our abilities just yet.

Can't see it Slink, it's the equivalent of us buying Prince and then having an interest on how he did in France on loan.

It's not really is it. They signed him thinking he could be a very good player and he was loaned to a Champions League club, pretty sure he would probably be back at Porto too if it weren't for Uncle Jorge and Nuno. Plus there's plenty of fans who take note of what our players do out on loan and definitely would if they played in decent leagues.

On top of that when Prince went on loan i had a look at how he was doing every week. I didn't take a massive interest but i new if he had played etc.. There are definitely Atleti fans who know how Jota is doing.

It's not really is it. They signed him thinking he could be a very good player and he was loaned to a Champions League club, pretty sure he would probably be back at Porto too if it weren't for Uncle Jorge and Nuno. Plus there's plenty of fans who take note of what our players do out on loan and definitely would if they played in decent leagues.

On top of that when Prince went on loan i had a look at how he was doing every week. I didn't take a massive interest but i new if he had played etc.. There are definitely Atleti fans who know how Jota is doing.

I would say you're in the minority Slink and of course the Prince examples relevant, particularly as he went to a higher League on loan and we paid a decent fee for him at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back