• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grabban is shite. We might as well sign fat Leon again if we’re going down that kind of road.

There was a spoof headline yesterday I think on Facebook saying we were signing Leon for the third time,as expected it went over a lot of people's heads and there was a Chernobyl size meltdown and sense of humour failure

Grabban wouldn't fit in this team he isn't good enough technically and doesn't have the brain to link play. He does work hard and he does have an eye for goal but he's effectively a poacher, not great in the air and not a deep lying forward which is what Leo is. Martin would be a better fit but Bamford is better than the pair.

As Paddy says we'll be shopping in a market for a player none of us really know.

Grabban wouldn't fit in this team he isn't good enough technically and doesn't have the brain to link play. He does work hard and he does have an eye for goal but he's effectively a poacher, not great in the air and not a deep lying forward which is what Leo is. Martin would be a better fit but Bamford is better than the pair.

As Paddy says we'll be shopping in a market for a player none of us really know.
The thing against this is your mate Kev seems to be getting first run on this one. Martin enquiry was made Sunderland, Chronicle today says we have asked about Grabban which although without quotes is stated with more certainty than a standard HITC article. Now Jeff may be tapping him on the head and letting him get on with it before Jorge does his stuff or perhaps he has decided we are essentially looking for a back up until the Summer in which case it's in Thelwell's court and these and no doubt Hugill are where we are looking.

No way is Jeff keeping Thelwell on the payroll just to pat him on the head and send him on goose chases.

I don't know what KT does these days but whatever it is I have no doubt that Jeff thinks it's important.

Mendes can't do the job full time and isn't allowed to legally anyway. Thelwell is good at U23 recruitment which Jeff places high value on, hence him still being around, but we need a front for the senior team so he needs to bring in first team players every now and then to justify that position. Ruddy and Bennett although Lambert recommendations are technically his and despite my scepticism both have both proven to be fit for purpose, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he's being allowed to fill the January back up striker vacancy.

I'd rather have Okaka on loan for 6 months than pay good money for the likes of Grabban and Martin.

Not a fan of Okaka, his conditioning is woeful and he'll give you one good game followed by five of looking like a competition winner. Also does not strike me as the kind of character who'd be willing to play second fiddle.

What happened to that bloke who was sporting director who left his role at a team abroad and was linked to us?

Sorry for being really vague but I'm sure someone posted a link on here to an article to him.

Think he may be/is a mendes client too.

Daniel Majstorovic? Went to Brommapojkarna in Sweden to be their DoF. Olof Mellberg is their Head Coach.

Edit: Make that was their Head Coach, seems he left about three weeks ago.

Could be him, not a clue what his name is now. Is he a Mendes client or someone who has worked with Nuno?

My guess is Jeff is or has already got someone in mind who will come in when we get promoted.

K.T. for me without sounding too rude is doing what he is told without kicking up a fuss.

Nuno will have a fair idea who he wants recruited if and when we go up.

I reckon that the talk of Grabban, Martin et all is to make sure everyone knows that we have options thus stopping us being held to ransom.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us get a higher class player on loan either a PL bench warmer or from a top division abroad.
Obviously Nuno may have his eye on a youngster he knows about but my first point stands. Whoever we get in we don't want to pay moneybags
prices. We haven't paid over the top for anyone. I think we'll take most of our contract options as we know that if we fail we
can sell them on at decent profit. IMO Jota is worth at least 20m now he's known about. Neves is worth more and I believe Vinagre will be up there with em
in a year or two.

Grabban would be only backup to Leo to see out the season. I wouldn't worry too much about him.

The more I think about this the less point I can see in signing Martin or Grabban, unless it's just on a loan to the end of the season. We are 1/20 for promotion, we have a young exciting squad and we should be signing young, exciting players who'll add to that squad. After all the years of pain this is a bloody wonderful time to support Wolves

I can't say I'm too fussed who we get in as back up to Leo for the 2nd half of the season. Yes, we all want to see young, exciting players like Neves, Jota, Vinagre etc but if we got a Grabban or a Martin in to see us through then it's a decent back up option. They are good enough for this division to (hopefully) see us through to promotion and then if they are not good enough next year then we can replace them. Just as long as we don't go into the last day of the window panicking a bit like we did in August!

I guess what business we do depends on whether we're able to make any of the loan deals permanent as that will have an impact on how much we spend on a striker plus whether we can bring in additonal loans or not. Could it also be that we are looking at the likes of Maritn/Grabban rather than another foreigner to meet the home grown player restrictions?

Grabban is alright, he can't do it at Premier league level though and he's nowhere close to what Leo is. He gets in the area a lot and that would leave us without the link up play that Leo provides so just don't see it. Rather than signing someone short term just purely because we can i'd rather we looked at another system with the same style when we can't break teams down with the players we have and if someone who is capable of stepping up becomes available then we can go in for them.

I thought the game against Sunderland showed us how Jota and Cavaleiro are still players in development, still learning new facets to their game. Both are good runners with the ball but their passing and link play into the central striker can often be lacking. I thought as a unit we failed to link into Bonatini which was vital given Sunderland gave little space beyond the back line to run in to. We may as well have had Grabban instead of Leo because of those failings.

I thought the game against Sunderland showed us how Jota and Cavaleiro are still players in development, still learning new facets to their game. Both are good runners with the ball but their passing and link play into the central striker can often be lacking. I thought as a unit we failed to link into Bonatini which was vital given Sunderland gave little space beyond the back line to run in to. We may as well have had Grabban instead of Leo because of those failings.

I think that's where Nuno needs Bright and Costa on the pitch as well as Leo, switching to a 4-2-3-1 (Cav or Jota loses out in this situation). They have the ability to run at defenders, committing them to mistakes before squaring the ball/ finding Leo as he is a very good poacher too.

It's the tiniest criticism of probably the best manager I've seen at Wolves.

whether or not we bring in Grabban or Martin, they are only going to be insurance till the end of the season. no point in hoping Leo doesn't get injured for the sake of a short term contract.

I think that's where Nuno needs Bright and Costa on the pitch as well as Leo, switching to a 4-2-3-1 (Cav or Jota loses out in this situation). They have the ability to run at defenders, committing them to mistakes before squaring the ball/ finding Leo as he is a very good poacher too.

It's the tiniest criticism of probably the best manager I've seen at Wolves.

If your Sunderland defending deep with two compact lines you can cover players running singulary with the ball, squeeze them out, deny them space. Football played in straight lines.
But when you fizz a wall pass into a striker those defenders often ball watch and don't see third man runs or the ball changing its direction once the striker passes the ball using a new angle.
It wasn't happening Saturday, hence the poor shot on target stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back