• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2024/25 - Everything Not Wolves

They can't get a double hit, it's EFL regs they broke last year. They'd be better off selling him next month from a PL perspective (assuming they have a June 30 accounting deadline)

Maresca will be lucky to see past October if Dewsbury-Hall is the calibre of player he's after. I wouldn't have him here. Bang average.
Couldn't agree more , a championship player at best .

Poor first touch and quite slow as well .

I think we'll see more of these swap deals.

1) It helps with these PSR rules
2) It helps move players that really want to move
3) It's better financially for clubs
4) Should help clubs at all levels

Are they straight swaps, or are they parallel transfers with the same amount of money paid for both, to bump PSR?

Are they straight swaps, or are they parallel transfers with the same amount of money paid for both, to bump PSR?
The latter. Or some are money + player
I'm a bit thick, why are swaps better than cold-hard cash for PSR?
Because you can overvalue the player and get relief for it over the length of the contract. Sell a player for £20m and it's £20m straight into this years PSR. The player you sign for £20m on a 4 year contract is amortised across that period so you are booking £5m this year. The swap therefore gets you £15m for this season.

At some point the PL will do something about it, but it's a benefit for this year's early adopters

At some point the PL will do something about it, but it's a benefit for this year's early adopters

They've written to all Premier League clubs today about it.

Good luck with suggesting "we'll judge the fair value of transfers".

Absolute nonsense. There's a long history of PL teams paying over the odds for players. It wouldn't get through any court procedings from clubs.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a minefield. Even the most notorious iffy "swap" in recent memory of Arthur and Miralem Pjanic between Barcelona and Juventus (both players given a value about £30m over what anyone would realistically pay) couldn't be prosecuted.

We know it's dodgy but how do you prove it.

I guess they could exclude home-grown U21 players from PSR calculations.

I guess they could exclude home-grown U21 players from PSR calculations.
Thinking about it more they could add the caveat that this only counts for players who've made less than 20 first team appearances.

That could have the knock on effect of teams keeping their home grown players longer or to play them more in the cups/leagues which would help with their development.

But then again I'm only spitballing, and I may not have thought it through.

Last edited:
The latter. Or some are money + player

Because you can overvalue the player and get relief for it over the length of the contract. Sell a player for £20m and it's £20m straight into this years PSR. The player you sign for £20m on a 4 year contract is amortised across that period so you are booking £5m this year. The swap therefore gets you £15m for this season.

Thank you. It's hard to see how this can be stopped beyond an tribunal deciding appropriate values for players.

Yeah, it's a minefield. Even the most notorious iffy "swap" in recent memory of Arthur and Miralem Pjanic between Barcelona and Juventus (both players given a value about £30m over what anyone would realistically pay) couldn't be prosecuted.

We know it's dodgy but how do you prove it.
Juventus got a transfer ban from that didnt they?

Back