• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boly won the sky MOTM in that game, he was worth at least 3 players in that game. Traore did cause him some trouble early in the game but he quickly saw to that and Traore switched sides.

I think Traore would be pretty dangerous in our team with the way that we counter attack. It would suit him a lot more.

Could it be possible that Traore improved his output under Pulis simply because they became so one dimensional under him? With Stewart 'fucking' Downing a spent force on the opposite side their whole tactic was get it to Traore. He's frightening when he gets his head down and gets moving but is it "broken clock syndrome"? If he's the only one creating eventually one will stick.

Could it be possible that Traore improved his output under Pulis simply because they became so one dimensional under him? With Stewart '$#@!ing' Downing a spent force on the opposite side their whole tactic was get it to Traore. He's frightening when he gets his head down and gets moving but is it "broken clock syndrome"? If he's the only one creating eventually one will stick.

I think its more experience and maturity - he looks to have more focus on the end result now rather than just running and hoping something happens.

There was a period in that Mbro game when Wolves were terrifed every time Traore ran at them. I'd be happy to sign him and trust Nuno to improve him. You cannot coach the pace and acceleration he has - that is, you cannot coach it into a player. Pace will always be a huge threat to defenders

Indeed, he caused Neves & Doc to both pick up their initial yellow cards

Could it be possible that Traore improved his output under Pulis simply because they became so one dimensional under him? With Stewart '$#@!ing' Downing a spent force on the opposite side their whole tactic was get it to Traore. He's frightening when he gets his head down and gets moving but is it "broken clock syndrome"? If he's the only one creating eventually one will stick.

You could also argue that if this was Boro's only tactics opposition teams would know this and so if he was able to produce being the only outlet that would make his efforts even better?

Different kind of player, but his ability to beat players reminds me a bit of Denilson and his mad skillz. I mean it's all very impressive and all that, and no, you can't coach that into someone. But it's all in bollocks areas. Fine beating someone near the halfway line, but it's of bugger all use if you end up running down a blind alley, or playing a terrible pass into someone, or hammering a cross straight into the stand. All of which happens a hell of a lot with Traore.

Could he improve with better coaching in those respects, maybe. But then some players are just too dumb to ever improve. We're discussing Andros Townsend over on the general transfer thread, I don't care whether it's Rafa Benitez, Sam Allardyce or Dean Saunders coaching him, he'll always be exactly the same player with exactly the same output.

I get the impression that Traore is one of those where people will still be talking about his "potential" in five years.

If we're signing him as someone to carry the ball and scare defenders by running at them, surely Costa is a better version of the same thing being as he genuinely creates and scores goals regularly? And we already own him.

Different kind of player, but his ability to beat players reminds me a bit of Denilson and his mad skillz. I mean it's all very impressive and all that, and no, you can't coach that into someone. But it's all in bollocks areas. Fine beating someone near the halfway line, but it's of bugger all use if you end up running down a blind alley, or playing a terrible pass into someone, or hammering a cross straight into the stand. All of which happens a hell of a lot with Traore.

Could he improve with better coaching in those respects, maybe. But then some players are just too dumb to ever improve. We're discussing Andros Townsend over on the general transfer thread, I don't care whether it's Rafa Benitez, Sam Allardyce or Dean Saunders coaching him, he'll always be exactly the same player with exactly the same output.

I get the impression that Traore is one of those where people will still be talking about his "potential" in five years.

If we're signing him as someone to carry the ball and scare defenders by running at them, surely Costa is a better version of the same thing being as he genuinely creates and scores goals regularly? And we already own him.

If Traore had more of an end product he wouldn't be at Boro and Wolves wouldn't be in a position to even think about signing him.

I do think he is getting better though and his stats suggest he's involved in a goal every 1 and 3/4 games

It's a risk signing him and it may not work out but in terms of explosive pace and the ability to beat a man i don't know of many players in the championship who have his ability. His awareness when taking multiple players on is very good.

It's a gamble, but one worth taking in my opinion. If a more reliable end product can be coached into him i believe he'd be a world class player

Helder Costa is 24 and a better player and has been for a year. Traore doesn't get in ahead of Costa and I'd rather have Cav coming on as back up to Costa.

It's just agent guff.

Helder Costa is 24 and a better player and has been for a year. Traore doesn't get in ahead of Costa and I'd rather have Cav coming on as back up to Costa.

It's just agent guff.

I’m not sure I’d agree helder was as good as Traore or Cav last season...

Trouble when trying to evaluate Traore most fans do so after watching his best bits highlighted on Championship football programmes, they don't show the bad stuff.

I see the Original Tim is saying we are interested

I’m not sure I’d agree helder was as good as Traore or Cav last season...

Helder wasn't great before Christmas (for obvious reasons), however in the final 2-3 months he was exceptional. Better than Jota really, let alone Cav.

Traore hardly played under Monk so you can hardly use him as an example of being a non-stop baller.

I think if Traore was our no1 target for that position we'd have already signed him. He'll be lined up as a fall back for if our top targets (who probably wont become available until players start moving around after the World Cup) don't work out.

As for his position in the squad, I agree with Dan that Costa, Cav & Jota are all better footballers than him but Traore is realistically a better version of Enobakhare and will probably get around the same amount of game time, maybe used a little more off the bench. If you look at it that way it's a massive upgrade, especially if we don't sign another #9 which would suggest to me that we'll be deploying a 'strikerless' front 3 as a plan B for when Raúl/Léo aren't getting any joy through the middle.

Helder wasn't great before Christmas (for obvious reasons), however in the final 2-3 months he was exceptional. Better than Jota really, let alone Cav.

Not sure what Jota has to do with anything, Cav was our best forward after December. Costa definitely grew into the season for sure though.

Linked to Bastos from Lazio. CB.

Angolan international, in and out of Lazio's team last season. Scored 4 goals in 21 league appearances which isn't half bad for a CB.

Traore hardly played under Monk so you can hardly use him as an example of being a non-stop baller.

This year (2018)

Helder - 4 goals, 2 assists
Traore - 5 goals, 8 assists
Cav - 2 goals, 7 assists

Raw data on its own means nowt.

Helder and Traore faced off directly in the game at the end of March and there was only one winner there. It's the one who scored and then got chopped down before he was going to score again, btw.

Well yes, but without data it’s just an opinion.

Ut was a good finish for his goal in that game, albeit unmarked from 8 yards out, but I wouldn’t say he scared the opposition in that match - Traore in the other hand, the only way we could stop him was by chopping him down.

I love Helder, the season before last he was superb - but I wouldn’t say he had a good season last year, he was definitely inferior to Cav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back