• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the “one big sale every summer method”. Works great until you run out of big sales. That’s why Leicester letting Tielemans run his contract down to zero is very painful for them.

On top of that, with the extension, Semedo is now effectively fully amortised so we avoid that issue with him and any sale will be all FFP goodness. Same with Neto and Podence. Obvs, Adama is the thorn there. I really think finding a buyer for him is a useful priority.

Adama is going for free

On top of that, with the extension, Semedo is now effectively fully amortised so we avoid that issue with him and any sale will be all FFP goodness. Same with Neto and Podence. Obvs, Adama is the thorn there. I really think finding a buyer for him is a useful priority.
We can amortise the final £9m from this season into the remaining 2 making it £3m for this accounting period rather than £9m.

Adama is going for free
So we don’t gain on FFP wiggle but we have already claimed the amortisation I suppose. The Guedes deal looks fucking appalling though, but most of us said that at the fucking start.

And don’t even get me started on taking Hoever as part of the Jota deal. £13m out of that FFP space clearance wasted on a complete money pit of a player where we will be lucky to see £5m back.

I think it’s setting up the audience for selling Neves. Every single pound of that fee is FFP wiggle room. His contract is already fully amortised. So if he goes for £40m and we use five year contracts that is £200m of FFP clearance in one sale. Plus if Forest stay up it’s what £7m ish in add on for MGW which then translates into £35m of wiggle room by the same method.

FFP isn’t the issue. Cash flow is more likely to be the problem.
Not if Mendes has us giving Neves and cash to Barca for that child…

That is a deal we don’t want, Xavi doesn’t want, and Ansu Fati doesn’t want.

Looking at from a between the lines perspective.
It’ll be a sell to buy window, FFP isn’t the problem it’s available cash.
Lop isn’t to pleased and wasn’t given the full briefing on an arrival.
Whatever is going on I don’t thing it’s a positive situation. Lop pretty much knows the current squad is a side that’ll get 9-14th in the league nothing else

The likes of Sanderson, Giles, RAN (even if he’s not fancied) will fetch decent fees too if we’re worried that much. Plus not to mention we’ll get add-ons from MGW if Forest stay up, potentially sell Coady if Everton do.

All very bizarre. If this is another ‘sell to buy’ window there’s plenty of assets that have been put on loan this year who would fetch a chunk and won’t disrupt the squad whatsoever. That’s before you get to selling Neves.

Whatever is going on I don’t thing it’s a positive situation. Lop pretty much knows the current squad is a side that’ll get 9-14th in the league nothing else
I'm not even sure it is. A regression on the Lopetegui home form is likely, there's a lot of 1-0 wins in there and I don't see the squad we have scoring more goals. We haven't had a clean sheet away from home in 14 months. Like Nuno was I think he's too smart to take us down and he may get us higher than this, but the current squad is a bottom 6 one imo purely because of the goalscoring and opportunity creating issue.

In reality I don't think we are in a different position to what the majority view was on here last week in terms of finances or what the Summer will bring, the message has just been handled in a ham fisted fashion

The likes of Sanderson, Giles, RAN (even if he’s not fancied) will fetch decent fees too if we’re worried that much. Plus not to mention we’ll get add-ons from MGW if Forest stay up, potentially sell Coady if Everton do.

All very bizarre. If this is another ‘sell to buy’ window there’s plenty of assets that have been put on loan this year who would fetch a chunk and won’t disrupt the squad whatsoever. That’s before you get to selling Neves.
We should be selling/ giving away shit like Hwang and Guedes too.

Clear them off the wage bill which frees up actual cash.

Time to break the Mendes connection for good and for Fosun to put us up for sale.

My guess

Sanderson £2.5m
Giles £7.5m
Sarkic £2.5m
Coady £5m

Raul - nominal and potential wage contribution. -£7m FFP but already budgeted for given final year.
Jonny - likewise but £-3m
(Take any fee we do get off those losses)

RAN £15m with future sell on. (£2.5m to Angers). +£7.5m for FFP
Guedes £16m, -£5.5m for FFP (same as if we keep him)
Fabio - don’t think we can sell him yet
Hoever - might come back, doubt we sell.

So don’t think the deadwood is going to make up the hole if Fosun don’t invest.

Will need sales of first teamers to increase the numbers on the books. Neves and Podence probably the obvious choices

Don't forget that last season we had a net spend of next to nothing, so on the 3 year cycle we are well clear even with a reasonable positive spend this Summer. If FFP were to be an issue it'd be after the 24/5 season if we were to have a similar 2 years to the one we've just had, which I don't think anybody expects, obviously you don't just address that at the time when it's too late

Unless the metric has been changed and I've missed it?

My guess

Sanderson £2.5m
Giles £7.5m
Sarkic £2.5m
Coady £5m

Raul - nominal and potential wage contribution. -£7m FFP but already budgeted for given final year.
Jonny - likewise but £-3m
(Take any fee we do get off those losses)

RAN £15m with future sell on. (£2.5m to Angers). +£7.5m for FFP
Guedes £16m, -£5.5m for FFP (same as if we keep him)
Fabio - don’t think we can sell him yet
Hoever - might come back, doubt we sell.

So don’t think the deadwood is going to make up the hole if Fosun don’t invest.

Will need sales of first teamers to increase the numbers on the books. Neves and Podence probably the obvious choices
I admire effort you've put in here Punts.

But that's not how FFP works.

Selling Guedes for £16m gives us the ability to buy a player for £48m on a 3 year deal. Given we take a loss of £8m per year on Guedes we still gain the ability to buy a player for £40m. (I don't think we sell him for £16m btw).

I think you've overvalued Giles, Sanderson and Sarkic and think we'd be lucky to get £5m for the lot. Championship clubs just don't have the available cash.

It does free up actual cash in wages (like Guedes going on loan). We are also about to lose the wages of Moutinho, Adama and probably Neves. That's probably the best part of £250k per week freed up.

That is why I think Fosun want to cut back as they are putting out the message that they are paring back again, no doubt to make the club healthy for sale/ investment.

Also, there is some huge misunderstanding that football clubs buy player from what they sell. That's rubbish and the biggest income stream by far is TV money which has just vastly increased.

Last edited:
I'm not the kind of fan to get worked up about us not splashing the cash as I don't think football should be about spending obscene amounts of money on superstars.

What does annoy me though is the club wasting milions of pounds of our budget on players that Mendes wanted us to have and then lying about FFP issues.

What does annoy me though is the club wasting milions of pounds of our budget on players that Mendes wanted us to have
We got into bed with the devil.

We had our fun, promotion, trips to Wembley and around Europe but eventually you have to pay the price (or sign Guedes, same thing)

I still think there is a huge difference to what Lops is saying on FFP versus what/how Liam and co are reporting it. As mentioned on Semedo, 2 days ago we couldn't afford to extend his deal and now we have and that isn't done by moving some money around. Even my limited knowledge of FFP can see that.

If Lops has rocked up with a shopping list that = lots of spending again he has been given the "no chance without sales old boy or we are in trouble. Unless I can persuade the big bosses to inject some more money in you are going to have to sell a few more players to fund it"

The FFP is a dream for the E&S - Tons of engagement on Twitter, loads of clicks on to their website etc. Don't need to understand shit, just get the fans visiting.

One thing I forget is how FFP works when the owner makes investment Vs not making an investment.

I think the FFP boundaries are much lower when the owner doesn't invest but I can't remember how time-bound these boundaries are.

Either Liam is getting info we are not giving to the public directly or has been forced so far down the FFP rabbit hole he has to cover himself

No mention of financial restrictions in the official blurb, just we had to make sure we were a PL team first

Answer: Liam is down the rabbit hole

His article is the stuff from the website with him having to shout FFP loudly. More convinced than ever that the club have done a release to the press saying "to keep us inside the FFP rules we will be selling players to help fund purchases" and our local press have lost their shit and just heard FFP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back