• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The narrative sold to the fans (particularly by the likes of the E&S) means absolutely fuck all in the grand scheme, IMO. Almost everything that Shi, Hobbs, et al. do that is important will be happening behind closed doors, I'd think.
It does matter, for a couple of years the club were outright lying to the fans through their own statements and that isn't on.

The local press getting stuff wrong, less so, even if we suspect the club's fingerprints may be over it.

What’s the last 3 years accounts? The big profit wasn’t a real profit because it was the original Fosun loan write off which I don’t think would count to FFP, unless it counts as the £35m per year owner injection which is permitted.

I think the problem is that there's been no transparency about what the actual FFP issues are.

Premier League FFP rules state you can lose up to £105m over a rolling three-year period. However, any losses incurred between £15-105 million must be covered by the owners. Next season, the club will have to account for this season, 20/21, and 21/22. In 20/21, the club made a profit of £18.4m. In 21/22, the club made a loss of £46.1m. This season will likely be losses of a similar amount to last season or even slightly higher, so that profit in 20/21 is especially important in keeping us below the permitted £105m.

The problem will be in a couple of seasons, in that 2024/25 FFP assessment period that will take into account the last three years, it won't include that 20/21 season where the club made a significant profit. It will take the losses of 21/22 (-£46.1m), 22/23 (likely -£50m~), and 23/24. That's where this summer comes into play. If we project the club are operating with over £90m of losses over the last two seasons, it puts a squeeze on 23/24 to avoid going over the permitted figure of £105m.

I believe that's what the real issue is. Our net spend cannot feasibly be over £100m as it was this season.
That seems to make a lot of sense?

The local press getting stuff wrong, less so, even if we suspect the club's fingerprints may be over it.
To be fair, the Guess and Stir stopped being an actual newspaper a very long time ago. Whatever they can do to stir up trouble (whether it's Wolves or the city more generally) they do.

Endless negative spin on everything just to wind people up. They're basically printed clickbait these days.

Did anyone really think we'd be spending £100m+ net this summer?

We all know we had to frontload a ton of spending into January as we were bottom of the league and had holes everywhere in the team, caused by long-term neglect of the squad and having a fucking shit manager.

Did anyone really think we'd be spending £100m+ net this summer?

We all know we had to frontload a ton of spending into January as we were bottom of the league and had holes everywhere in the team, caused by long-term neglect of the squad and having a fucking shit manager.
I don't care how much we spend as long as we buy a competent striker.

Given how many players are likely to leave/be sold this summer as Lopetegui revamps his squad, I think that negates a lot of the FFP issues for next season's books. We're likely to make £50m minimum (assuming Neves goes) in player sales. That will offset any worries, but the season after is another matter and that's the one I think we'll have a very minimum spend. Assuming we never look in trouble in the league that is.

If we say goodbye to Neves, Moutinho, Raul, Jonny, Costa and Adama as is expected, with the potential of others like Podence and Sa also going, we'll also be taking a huge chunk off the wage bill - it must be 400k p/w as a minimum for the first six.

I'd imagine Cunha, Sarabia and Nunes to be our highest earners excluding the lot above. Guedes is probably up there too, unfortunately!

Didn't Benfica cover all of Guedes wages?
They did.

Seems to be our new thing. Drop the loan fee and get the club to pay all the wages. Same thing with Fabio and Hoever (at both PSV and Stoke).

They did.

Seems to be our new thing. Drop the loan fee and get the club to pay all the wages. Same thing with Fabio and Hoever (at both PSV and Stoke).
Frees up actual cash so makes sense business wise.

It does matter, for a couple of years the club were outright lying to the fans through their own statements and that isn't on.

This is kind of just the behavior I expect from an organization of the club's size, I guess.

This is kind of just the behavior I expect from an organization of the club's size, I guess.
Nah, it's just not the done thing. Everyone expects a certain level of spin and PR these days, but outright lying about things that are easily disprovable with information in the public domain, you just can't do that.

Nah, it's just not the done thing. Everyone expects a certain level of spin and PR these days, but outright lying about things that are easily disprovable with information in the public domain, you just can't do that.
Don't get me wrong, I get why it rankles.

Personally, though, I just could not give less of a shit what the club say publicly about financials and logistics and that sort of thing.

My own fucking employer can't tell me what's really going on with the money, you know? Not in a million years do I think a football club in the Premier League will be honest about that stuff with fans.

I dunno. The statements are all a bit "throwing gasoline on the Sun" for me.

Without wishing to bang the same drum over and over, they are currently asking me to pay 40% a year more for the same seat in the same stand in the same league (to watch arguably a worse team) compared to five years ago. With that in mind, they can't just lie to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back