• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunes and Cunha have been shoehorned into a mess, the quality’s there and they can make a difference if used correctly. I definitely wouldn’t put them in the same bracket as Hoever or Hwang. Guedes has his own bracket, he nicked it off Tredders.
They both have talent but they're never 40m+ players so we've still overpaid, and it wasn't a good use of the funds.

They both have talent but they're never 40m+ players so we've still overpaid, and it wasn't a good use of the funds.
After this season’s showing no they’re not but there’s every chance they could be if we find a system for them. They could be flipped for a profit (well Nunes could) and then it’s not a bad use of funds. You’re never getting any output or profit from Hwang, Hoever or Guedes that’s certain so no I wouldn’t class them the same.
And ultimately I think we’ve ascertained over the years that every club bar none overpays and wastes money at times, some more than others. I don’t know why people get so up in arms over it when we do it. We’re not the trendsetters.

Nunes boils my piss at times when he goes into Sunday League standard but he's clearly got ability, whether we can harness that remains to be seen. Cunha...well I'd like to see him with a proper centre forward. Imagine those two driving runs vs Villa and he has someone to pass to other than a 54 year old.

I don't care how much we spend as long as we buy a competent striker.
There’s an awful lot put on how much is spent, rather than what it’s spent on. If we only spend 30-50m that could quite easily be 3 or 4 players that will improve us, (January a prime example)

I don’t care what we spend as long as we are in a strong position next season

Nunes and Cunha have been shoehorned into a mess, the quality’s there and they can make a difference if used correctly. I definitely wouldn’t put them in the same bracket as Hoever or Hwang. Guedes has his own bracket, he nicked it off Tredders.
If he nicked it off for me he can get in there with Hwang

Nunes boils my piss at times when he goes into Sunday League standard but he's clearly got ability, whether we can harness that remains to be seen. Cunha...well I'd like to see him with a proper centre forward. Imagine those two driving runs vs Villa and he has someone to pass to other than a 54 year old.
yeah, Nunes is VERY hit and miss in quality, I mean simple things like passing the ball 4 meters to a teammate, Cunha has raised his game but has to work on either his pace, or his strength to give something we can capitalize on

Doesn't help that it's us he came to, with everything going on. In a hypothetical world, say he'd joined Brighton would they maybe be able to "flip" him to one of the big boys this summer even at that price? Thinking about it now, surely he'd need to have a hell of an impact to turn 40m into more. Think I remember some people on here being angry that he was potentially going straight to Liverpool for the same price and we were just being used

Aye, it's a good point. I think it's easier to sign a £15m player and flip him for £30m, than it is a £40m into a £80m one. He'd have had to be on 15-20 goal involvements to command that sort of money. Buying him to make a max profit of £10m or so just isn't worth the risk.

Fucking hope he gets that consistency though. When he's doing what he does in full flow it's remarkable to watch.

I think we've really had only two good windows whilst in PL: the first one where they got Jiminez, Moutinho, Patricio etc and the most recent one in January.

The thing about overpaying on transfers isn't that in isolation its a bad thing but that you're then relying on the quality of the player and the risk thay they're shit is always going to be higher. Since Fabio et all its really been all busts.

Semedo is like the best example? Paid overs to replace Docherty and whilst he's been solid (and the club clearly love him) he's never been worth his transfer fee. If they sell him it won't be close to matching it either.

Doesn't help that it's us he came to, with everything going on. In a hypothetical world, say he'd joined Brighton would they maybe be able to "flip" him to one of the big boys this summer even at that price? Thinking about it now, surely he'd need to have a hell of an impact to turn 40m into more. Think I remember some people on here being angry that he was potentially going straight to Liverpool for the same price and we were just being used
The thing with a signing like Nunes is we were probably the only team in the PL that would sign him for the amount we did. Others either couldn't afford him, didn't want him at that fee or he wouldn't have gone there. Using Brighton as the example they wouldn't have spent that amount, but let's say they were prepared to Mendes wouldn't have let him go there and from the players perspective I've never been convinced he wanted to come here so unlikely he would have there. Clubs our size shouldn't be spending £110m on 3 players within 6 months of each other, it's not a smart way to build a squad. Cunha is another example, Leeds and Everton wanted him so we offer a stupid amount to get him, he's a £25m player that could become a £45m player, we went straight in at the higher level

Last edited:
And if you do spend those kind of fees as a club in our position they need to be players that stand out and elevate those around them (like Guimaraes did for Newcatle,) rather than players that show glimpses, and *might* look the part in a specific setup.

The thing with a signing like Nunes is we were probably the only team in the PL that would sign him for the amount we did. Others either couldn't afford him, didn't want him at that fee or he wouldn't have gone there. Using Brighton as the example they wouldn't have spent that amount, but let's say they were prepared to Mendes wouldn't have let him go there and from the players perspective I've never been convinced he wanted to come here so unlikely he would have there. Clubs our size shouldn't be spending £120m on 3 players within 6 months of each other, it's not a smart way to build a squad. Cunha is another example, Leeds and Everton wanted him sonwe offer a stupid amount to get him, he's a £25m player that could become a £45m player, we went straight in at the higher level

He’s (Nunes) bigging himself up for next season already.

He’s (Nunes) bigging himself up for next season already.
I suppose at least it shows he doesn't think he's been as good as expected, let's hope he steps up next season (assuming he's still here)

On Cunha and Nunes, for me Cunha has been a bit underwhelming and hasn't really shown anything special yet we look a better team with him playing. Nunes has veered from looking sublime to looking ridiculous. There have been times on the ball where he has looked majestic, capable of gliding past people with ease and he has shown he can do defensive work too. Then he can't complete a pass to a teammate 5 yards away and looks like a pub player. If he can produce more of the sublime and (much) less of the ridiculous he could be a £70m player.

players that show glimpses, and *might* look the part in a specific setup

This is the key for me, we just can't carry many players like that in this price range, let alone two in one window. Semedo and Fabio fit into this mould too.

We badly need Cunha and Nunes to deliver next season

Nunes looks like he, potentially, has the highest ceiling of any player we've signed in the Fosun era. Cuts out the stupid mistakes and terrible games and he's genuinely stupidly good. That's not easy to do though..

0C7D9F36-9660-4733-A21F-5565FDB6EC80.jpeg
Not a great list. And there’s still Cunha to add at the top.

Jonny and Raul have been hits no question. But the bigger issue is that none of those bar João Gomes we are looking likely to turn a profit on.

A team with our revenue streams can’t be getting big transfers so badly wrong and/or let a lot of big signings leave for free.

I'm happy to give any player coming into that team this season a free pass. We were struggling for results and it must have been a difficult dressing room to come into and immediately play your best. Especially in the summer under Lage.

I expect all of Nunes, Cunha and Sarabia to push on and show a bit more next season. Nunes has already shown plenty of glimpses of what he's capable of, the other two less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back