• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty difficult point to rebute tbf.

Don't get me wrong, I get why it rankles.

Personally, though, I just could not give less of a shit what the club say publicly about financials and logistics and that sort of thing.

My own fucking employer can't tell me what's really going on with the money, you know? Not in a million years do I think a football club in the Premier League will be honest about that stuff with fans.

I dunno. The statements are all a bit "throwing gasoline on the Sun" for me.
It must be a cultural thing here as fans of most clubs get bent out of shape over somebody else's cash (me included).

It must be a cultural thing here as fans of most clubs get bent out of shape over somebody else's cash (me included).
Suppose that's what happens when every team is basically MK Dons.

If we say goodbye to Neves, Moutinho, Raul, Jonny, Costa and Adama as is expected, with the potential of others like Podence and Sa also going, we'll also be taking a huge chunk off the wage bill - it must be 400k p/w as a minimum for the first six.
Don’t forget about the likes of Sanderson, Hoever, Coady, Giles etc. They’ll all likely be sold to generate funds.

I have no worries about us being able to shift players for money, which we can then reinvest in the squad, particularly if we’re aiming for £20m signings and below. But it just doesn’t work that easy in terms of selling all our players in the first week of the window, leaving us with a big pot of cash we can go out and spend. There’s definitely going to be a lot of juggling around to do, but we shouldn’t be worried about generating funds.

I’m not going to go as far as saying we have to “sell to buy”, but we are getting close to that. The FFP stuff is bollocks, though.

Don’t forget about the likes of Sanderson, Hoever, Coady, Giles etc. They’ll all likely be sold to generate funds.

I have no worries about us being able to shift players for money, which we can then reinvest in the squad, particularly if we’re aiming for £20m signings and below. But it just doesn’t work that easy in terms of selling all our players in the first week of the window, leaving us with a big pot of cash we can go out and spend. There’s definitely going to be a lot of juggling around to do, but we shouldn’t be worried about generating funds.

I’m not going to go as far as saying we have to “sell to buy”, but we are getting close to that. The FFP stuff is bollocks, though.
This is palpable rubbish.

A football clubs biggest income stream is TV revenue. Then the owners could, if they wanted to, invest £35m each season with no financial penalty.

Sell to buy is what they want you to believe and fools people constantly (you're not alone). Clubs do not need to sell to buy it's a choice.

This is palpable rubbish.

A football clubs biggest income stream is TV revenue. Then the owners could, if they wanted to, invest £35m each season with no financial penalty.

Sell to buy is what they want you to believe and fools people constantly (you're not alone). Clubs do not need to sell to buy it's a choice.
So you think we can invest in the squad without selling players?

What you shouldn't do as owners is turn the taps on and off. Because we let the squad stagnate and operated on a very low/nil net spend for years, we suddenly needed a lot of remedial work very quickly (plus we voluntarily put an idiot in charge then left him there despite the billion alarm bells ringing). Because of the way the financial rules operate, this has implications down the line. If we'd invested that money steadily over our time in the Premier League then there wouldn't be any issues. Self-inflicted.

What you shouldn't do as owners is turn the taps on and off. Because we let the squad stagnate and operated on a very low/nil net spend for years, we suddenly needed a lot of remedial work very quickly (plus we voluntarily put an idiot in charge then left him there despite the billion alarm bells ringing). Because of the way the financial rules operate, this has implications down the line. If we'd invested that money steadily over our time in the Premier League then there wouldn't be any issues. Self-inflicted.
Turning the taps on and off again was the Mike Ashley way. Stagnate, invest the minimal amount needed to keep afloat -> invest further if there was a tangible risk of relegation (still went down in 15/16).

I'd have to see the numbers, but my gut reaction is that the problem hasn't been spending or not spending, rather spending very poorly for long stretches? Happy to be told that's not in line with reality.

I don't think it's an overriding strategy by Fosun, they just got deeply complacent, especially with our massively deceptive league position last season. As if we're just in the Premier League by default and it looks after itself. It doesn't.

We just need to hope they've learned their lessons. Essentially they got 90%+ of stuff right between 2017 and 2019, and 90%+ of stuff wrong between 2020 and 2022.

They went down twice, you need a good manager to balance those scales, but good managers walk sooner or later, leaving you with a bad one to take you down. Wolves were so fortunate this season, a one off eventuality saved us. I'm convinced we'd have gone any other season

I'd have to see the numbers, but my gut reaction is that the problem hasn't been spending or not spending, rather spending very poorly for long stretches? Happy to be told that's not in line with reality.
What spending there was tended to be ill-focused (Fabio, Semedo and Hoever all in one window for £75m? Really?) and they let areas of the squad run way too thin - how often did we bemoan only having three central midfielders, one of whom in Dendoncker had lost his way, as well as the obvious issues post-David Luiz up front.

We had a strange vacuum where Sellars' role seemed ill-defined, Jeff doesn't know about football but was ruling the roost, Mendes wasn't sending us anything any good and the manager was simultaneously weak and inept. That just screams disaster when you put it all together.

Think you're bang on. Spent lots of money on the wrong players in the wrong positions.

Guedes
Hoever
Nunes
Cunha
Hwang

All horrendous waste of money when it could've been spent on players that could've made a difference.

They went down twice, you need a good manager to balance those scales, but good managers walk sooner or later, leaving you with a bad one to take you down. Wolves were so fortunate this season, a one off eventuality saved us. I'm convinced we'd have gone any other season
Make no mistake, we've got away with one. I hope they're not patting themselves too hard on the back because it's negligence that put us in that place.

The vast majority of us could see what was coming a year ago.

Think you're bang on. Spent lots of money on the wrong players in the wrong positions.

Guedes
Hoever
Nunes
Cunha
Hwang

All horrendous waste of money when it could've been spent on players that could've made a difference.
Nunes and Cunha have been shoehorned into a mess, the quality’s there and they can make a difference if used correctly. I definitely wouldn’t put them in the same bracket as Hoever or Hwang. Guedes has his own bracket, he nicked it off Tredders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back