• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call En-Nesyri or Luuk de Jong false nines at all. Very much a focal point in build up and a threat from crosses.
Then firminho wouldn’t suit that IMO

Can't see it's been mentioned or discussed anywhere, but part time Steve has finally crawled out from underneath his rock and posted something about Wolves. Quite a comprehensive article, actually, discussing his views on our squad and where he sees certain players next season. Interestingly, it says at the top that it is their analysis "based on off-the-record conversations with contacts close to the club and players, all speaking anonymously to protect relationships and to be able to speak freely". Make of that what you will...

Anyway, the headlines:

Goalkeepers:
- Sa expected to stay and be first choice again next season. Bentley as back up, Sarkic to be sold.

Defenders:
- Decision on Semedo extension is "in the balance". Wolves weighing up the financial commitment of extending his contract/salary for another 2 years against what we might get for him in the transfer window
- Jonny/RAN/Sanderson all expected to be sold, we'd like to loan out Dexter to the Championship. Ryan Giles will get a chance to impress in pre-season.
- Coady expected to be around for pre-season but will be sold or loaned out.

Midfield:
- More or less what we already know on Neves. Moutinho will go.
- Lemina, Gomes, Nunes & Boubacar to all be part of the first team squad. Nunes needs another season with us to boost his transfer value after a "tricky first season"
- Hodge to be loaned, Cundle not done enough to warrant being part of the first team squad next season and we'll look for another loan.

Wide Forwards:
- Adama very likely to go & we're open to offers for Podence. Guedes will go and we're likely to make a loss on him.
- We're not actively looking to bin off Sarabia and think after a period to bed in we'll see more from him next season, but we're not against letting him go if a good offer comes in. Liked in the dressing room.
- Chiquinho likely to stay for the first half of the season to build up his fitness slowly, and then we may look to loan in January
- Lop likes Hwang, but we need to offload forwards so if other players can't be sold or get little interest and an offer comes in for him, we will look at it. Expected to stick around.

Centre Forwards:
- Costa unlikely to be offered a new deal but still being discussed
- Sasa viewed as a key first team player but they want to give him time to build up his fitness
- Raul will go, Fabio future being discussed but we're likely to trigger the contract extension and then will likely loan him out again next season

The likes of Nunes and Sarabia can play the narrow forward option from wider positions. Nunes has already shown he could work well in that narrower type of wide role. Neto should too if he can get back to form.

Lop tried pushing Cunha forward as a false 9 but it didn't work as the wide forwards left him too isolated and Semedo isn't great at putting crosses in, even if he's fine on the overlap. Maybe why he wants another more suitable RB (and the fact Jonny isn't up to it any more). Tariq Lamptey, Arnau Martinez (though I think he's possibly Barca bound), Devyne Rensch. One of those sort of players.

I reckon he'll be on the lookout for someone up front who can play that false 9 role as well as being a focal point. Maybe he'll go back to Sevilla for El Nesryi.

There's absolutely no information in there that any of us didn't know or couldn't have guessed, so fuck knows who he's been talking to.

The Athletic put that stupid disclaimer in all their articles, it's really irritating.

It's a real shame about RAN as I think there's a very good player there. I guess he doesn't suit the managers style of play though. Even though he's a decent defender, he's not the cross it into the box sort of full-back but comes more narrow and makes runs into the box. As I said a real shame.

The likes of Nunes and Sarabia can play the narrow forward option from wider positions. Nunes has already shown he could work well in that narrower type of wide role. Neto should too if he can get back to form.

Lop tried pushing Cunha forward as a false 9 but it didn't work as the wide forwards left him too isolated and Semedo isn't great at putting crosses in, even if he's fine on the overlap. Maybe why he wants another more suitable RB (and the fact Jonny isn't up to it any more). Tariq Lamptey, Arnau Martinez (though I think he's possibly Barca bound), Devyne Rensch. One of those sort of players.

I reckon he'll be on the lookout for someone up front who can play that false 9 role as well as being a focal point. Maybe he'll go back to Sevilla for El Nesryi.
Ah, I forgot to include Neto. PTS reckons we may have sold him for a big profit this summer if he'd stayed fit and done well this season, but as he's had his development stunted by injury, he'll stay and be a part of the first team next season.

On your post, I was thinking we should enquire about Lamptey, who would be a perfect fit for the role Lop wants of our RB/RWB. Not first choice at Brighton any more, but if they secure european football (which I think they will), they'll want some squad depth and I don't see them selling him.

The problem with Lamptey is injuries. Is he going to be the same after a long knee injury layoff?

I thought that we have to trigger the Semedo extension else otherwise he can leave on a free?

It's a real shame about RAN as I think there's a very good player there. I guess he doesn't suit the managers style of play though. Even though he's a decent defender, he's not the cross it into the box sort of full-back but comes more narrow and makes runs into the box. As I said a real shame.
Was about to comment on him. Seems a good player with potential to get a lot better. So seems a strange one, like something has happened.

I thought that we have to trigger the Semedo extension else otherwise he can leave on a free?
Yeah, I seriously doubt we are going to throw away a decent player we spent £27m on. He obviously still holds value and what's more we don't even have another credible RB unless Bolla is a lot nearer consideration than I suspect is actually the case.

Christ Jinky you want us to sign DCL and Lamptey, have you got shares in The Nuffield?
I don't want us to sign DCL - just said I felt he could do a job, but I suspect that's more to do with watching us struggle along without a proper CF since Raul's injury more than anything. I like Lamptey, though and was surprised to see he'd still featured in 25+ games this season.

I don't want us to sign DCL - just said I felt he could do a job, but I suspect that's more to do with watching us struggle along without a proper CF since Raul's injury more than anything. I like Lamptey, though and was surprised to see he'd still featured in 25+ games this season.
Mainly off the bench in amongst more injuries. They were playing Gross out of position ahead of him. If the old version of him was still there he'd be the perfect signing. It seems like it isn't though

Brighton like to play midfielders at RB. March, Groß, Caicedo have all played there. And Trossard too before he moved to Arsenal.

Semedo is probably on £4-5m a year. So we either engage in that deal but don’t have to sign someone for a transfer fee. Or we sell and get someone on cheaper salary, more suited to the style but have to pay a fee.

I have no idea what a near 30 FB generates in market, but at the moment £5m a year is a lot for someone who doesn’t fit the system and from this point forward is losing a lot of value (whatever that is).

I'm probably one Semedo's biggest detractors, but not extending his deal would be utter madness. He's still passable at this level and plenty fit enough, and you're not getting much better for a total cost of £5m/year unless you stumble across a Joao Gomes type that no other fucker has ever heard of before. It'd be mental to not take up the extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back