• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably one Semedo's biggest detractors, but not extending his deal would be utter madness. He's still passable at this level and plenty fit enough, and you're not getting much better for a total cost of £5m/year unless you stumble across a Joao Gomes type that no other fucker has ever heard of before. It'd be mental to not take up the extension
Quite. Plus we wouldn't need one right back, we'd need two.

I think (and certainly hope) we'll see significant business in the summer. Our January window was way, way busier than usual as Lopetegui badly needed more than just a couple of new players. I would expect him to be backed further in the summer so he can properly build his squad to play the way he wants.

I can't remember the last time I wanted such a clear out of players. I think I'm only fussed about keeping Bueno, Dawson, Bouba, Gomes (x2), Lemina, Neto, Sarabia (still think he'll come good), Neves (yeah, yeah, I know), Sasa, Cunha

Otherwise I'm really not all that fussed who stays and who goes.

Bloody massive overhaul needed - it's criminal how stale the squad has become over the past couple of years or so.

I don't expect us to fix all of our issues this summer but I hope we fix some of our big ones.

I'd really, really, really like to see us start moving in the right direction though. I don't really want the purgatory of our seasons being about getting to 40 points before we inevitably get relegated

I don't expect us to fix all of our issues this summer but I hope we fix some of our big ones.

I'd really, really, really like to see us start moving in the right direction though. I don't really want the purgatory of our seasons being about getting to 40 points before we inevitably get relegated
Thing is I don't think there's any way Lopetegui has signed up for that. He's come to England to make a mark.

I’m not doubting his ability, but I’m not sure he as a 9 fits into lops style from what I’ve seen. He’s no where near physical enough and I haven’t seen anything in his hold up play to suggest he would be suitable

It’s all well and good signing the best players we can, there still needs to be a plan to it..

Being technically proficient, whilst functionally strong is better than just being a lump. If half dead Diego Costa can do it, Firmino could with one leg.

I'm probably one Semedo's biggest detractors, but not extending his deal would be utter madness. He's still passable at this level and plenty fit enough, and you're not getting much better for a total cost of £5m/year unless you stumble across a Joao Gomes type that no other fucker has ever heard of before. It'd be mental to not take up the extension
Obviously we are going to extend but will we keep?

If we can sell for £15m to Atleti or someone and then sign a younger player more suited to our style for £20m and half the salary then we’ve actually broke even in real cash whilst having a theoretically better player and an asset worth hopefully more than £0 after 2 years.

Fuck me, just read the PTS piece. How can you write so many words and yet somehow say literally nothing of any substance? You could've probably done that whole piece with 2 tweets
Poor bloke. Doesn't write anything, gets pelters. Writes something, gets pelters.

(edit: yes, yes, I know he could write something and also make it decent)

Last edited:
If he doesn't have any inside info (and he doesn't, as I say that is the standard clunky disclaimer they shoehorn in everywhere) then he could at least give his own opinion.

You don't have to understand the context of the piece below, suffice to say the 76ers choked massively in the final 2 games of the play offs, but this is the quality of the writing you get from the US based staff. Incisive and critical, harsh but fair. Not in the pocket of the organisation, even though they'll spend more time in their presence than any football reporter will, whilst not being clickbaity

Anybody who subscribes for Wolves content is seriously short changed, even if they are paying a pound a month

The Athletic really has produced some stellar work around the NFL and NBA particularly.

I've no idea why they haven't been able to emulate that in Europe but it's a damn shame.

The Athletic really has produced some stellar work around the NFL and NBA particularly.

I've no idea why they haven't been able to emulate that in Europe but it's a damn shame.
It's down to individual quality and across the clubs it genuinely spans the whole spectrum.

Like this is an excellent piece:

We got nothing even close to that when Lage left, don't think there was an attempt to do similar.

A big part of it comes down to the cultural differences between the two countries, too.

In the US sports journalism has long been a beat that attracts great, great writers of many different styles, and The Athletic comes out of that tradition. Sports isn't anything like that over here. It's much more trite, and most writers cut their teeth writing for tabloid audiences, even the ones who might dream of one day writing their own "Roger Federer As Religious Experience". The best sports writers in the UK tend to be marked out by their access and contacts rather than their insight or literary talent. Plus UK media is incredibly centralised - anyone who's any good gets snapped up by one of the big London papers (or quickly realises that they need to start freelancing for glossy American magazines), and even the biggest regional papers can't afford to retain talent.

When the Athletic rocked up over here and starting scouring the provinces for reporters to sign up they were dredging an already-very shallow pond.

Last edited:
It's down to individual quality and across the clubs it genuinely spans the whole spectrum.

Like this is an excellent piece:

We got nothing even close to that when Lage left, don't think there was an attempt to do similar.
A tweet snidely saying it's rude of the club to sack a manager when the reporter is on vacay?

Being technically proficient, whilst functionally strong is better than just being a lump. If half dead Diego Costa can do it, Firmino could with one leg.
Thinks that’s a tad harsh on costa.

His hold up play has been absolutely fine. Better than the technically proficient firmino

I just don’t see how a firmino type player leading the line in lops team will work (see Cunha) for example unless their is a huge overhaul.

Anyway, a moot point as the signing isn’t in the pipeline

We already have the dynamic midfielders he likes to use, in Gomes, Lemina and B.Traore (and Nunes if he puts him there). He just needs a focal point who can score and wide players who can come inside and link/assist/score. All of Sarabia, Neto and even Nunes can do that IMO.

All Lop needs to make his system work is a new RB, Striker, and maybe one more wide player.

The upgrading of another decent CB and GK is just part of a general squad improvement. That's 5 players to sign in the summer.

If he doesn't have any inside info (and he doesn't, as I say that is the standard clunky disclaimer they shoehorn in everywhere) then he could at least give his own opinion.

I'm getting proper wound up at all the "really interesting piece, Steve" comments at the bottom of it. Like raging 😂😭

HE HASN'T SAID ANYTHING, WHAT PRECISELY IS INTERESTING YOU FUCKWADS.

"he may be sold if the price is right, somebody wants him and the player wants to go there. If he does go there's a strong chance Lopetegui will want to replace him, but that will depend on finding somebody at the right price. If he's not sold he probably won't be replaced, but the club will keep their options open, or maybe closed".

Cunts more vague than a fucking horoscope. Like even if you haven't got a clue what will happen, why not just say what you'd do, and why? Even if it's disagreeable then it's at least *something* other than basically listing all possible permutations for each player

I pulled him up in the comments on something in his Eastwood piece (not to be a dick, he was just wrong and was spinning what Eastwood would like you to think happened rather than what actually happened, which as a journalist is a bit rubbish) and he came back with some utter nonsense, doubling down on precisely what I said was wrong. Quite an odd man.

I'm getting proper wound up at all the "really interesting piece, Steve" comments at the bottom of it. Like raging 😂😭

HE HASN'T SAID ANYTHING, WHAT PRECISELY IS INTERESTING YOU FUCKWADS.

"he may be sold if the price is right, somebody wants him and the player wants to go there. If he does go there's a strong chance Lopetegui will want to replace him, but that will depend on finding somebody at the right price. If he's not sold he probably won't be replaced, but the club will keep their options open, or maybe closed".

Cunts more vague than a fucking horoscope. Like even if you haven't got a clue what will happen, why not just say what you'd do, and why? Even if it's disagreeable then it's at least *something* other than basically listing all possible permutations for each player
If you look at the language of those that usually comment the majority are know nothing Yanks. No offenCe intended to our know something Yank posters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back