• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The excuses are all pretty lame, financial punishment is futile as clubs will just counter it into their budget especially the super rich. Some of the stuff I’ve read is just garbage “it’s anti Everton” “Everton always get picked on”
Perfect outcome for the PL is Everton stay up anyway. It’s like totting up on your licence but moaning that each offfence was only a few mph over the limit then being banned from driving. The blame stops with you and you only.

Sheff Utds case was that West Ham should have had a points deduction -they settled out of court. Everton have had one, so you'd be trying to build a case on saying the PL should have punished them sooner. I presume you'd also have to prove they knowingly overspent - our lot tried to get us to believe there was a £25m delta between what our last year end accounts could end up being, so I'm guessing Everton could say they didn't expect it to be so bad and it took them by surprise.
Took them by surprise??????? They have been miles over for years and grossly inflated the Covid effects to try and look like they kept in. The accounts were such a work of fiction that their auditors walked away and wouldn’t sign off on them.

They are guilty as sin. They know it, and so does everyone else. Fuck them. Ten points is lenient.

Took them by surprise??????? They have been miles over for years and grossly inflated the Covid effects to try and look like they kept in. The accounts were such a work of fiction that their auditors walked away and wouldn’t sign off on them.

They are guilty as sin. They know it, and so does everyone else. Fuck them. Ten points is lenient.
Excellent point re: auditors.
I totally agree they tried to hide their finances behind covid and to all intents and purposes were successful until now.

Full report here:

Never understood FFP completely, chelsea and city next then if it should be fair play

There are some very dodgy payments to agents from the Abramovic era but I would be amazed if that stuck.

City are bang to rights but will no doubt throw vast sums at legal representation to keep it mired in courts for years.

Today has more of an effect on the likes of Bournemouth who are, just like Everton, signing cheques they can’t afford to cash.

So Newcastle have picked up on the general bad vibes about signing Neves on loan so will now consider a permanent move. If it is for significantly less than we received then it is still a fucking swizz

It’s a swizz anyway. That much is blatantly obvious.

They can use their Saudi club like a 6 month holding pen, buy top talent at expected price they play from the August-January then move to Newcastle for far less. Helps with FFP etc no doubt the PL will shut down that avenue though eventually.

They can use their Saudi club like a 6 month holding pen, buy top talent at expected price they play from the August-January then move to Newcastle for far less. Helps with FFP etc no doubt the PL will shut down that avenue though eventually.
There are fair value rules to prevent this.

Do those cover payment terms though?

Pat Nevin shilling for Everton on the BBC is disappointing. He always presented himself as more principled than your average footballer.

I used to do this with two player football manager games...

The “we’re being picked on” stuff really looks very childish and very much disregards who’s really at fault.
This isn’t a gangster style kangaroo court or 2 blokes doing it on a fag packet in the pub. The process has been independent and due diligence done.

10 point deduction sounds pretty lenient to me particularly as Everton sounded way way over. It may be hard to justify similar for teams that breach the rule by much lower amounts which starts to defeat the intent.

Once they've taken various mitigations and allowances into account it's about £20m over across the three years. In footballing terms it's like speeding at 40mph in a 30mph zone, not 70mph. Bang to rights all the same, of course. And like wankers who complain about being caught speeding, their pleas now sound pathetic.

My favourite being the Everton fans advisory board saying “a punishment that has been handed down with no regard for supporters”.

For one I don’t even know what this means. What have supporters got to do anything? And two, it’s going to make fuck all difference to the season, you will finish 16th instead of 14th. Then not punishing you earlier has done you a favour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back