• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puts us 10 points clear with a huge goal difference.

Apparently they're planning to appeal it, but can't see that going anywhere.

I wonder how City will get punished for their breaches...

Apparently they're planning to appeal it, but can't see that going anywhere.

I wonder how City will get punished for their breaches...
That’ll create a catalogue of legal battles if they stay up by a few points.

I suppose the important thing is it shows *something* will happen if you fuck around. Forget City, I'm looking at Bournemouth (nearly £200m spent since last summer and £0 sales) and Forest (insane spending and wage bill).

The club admitted to being in breach of the rules so I guess the only argument is the severity of the punishment. A precedent has been set...

The club admitted to being in breach of the rules so I guess the only argument is the severity of the punishment. A precedent has been set...

I get why they're appealing it but it's still odd when you consider they'll be comfortably safe. They were never going to mount a European charge anyway.

I get why they're appealing it but it's still odd when you consider they'll be comfortably safe. They were never going to mount a European charge anyway.
They might not though and they know that.

Does this mean the relegated clubs will sue?
They may do but there is difficulties attached to any action. Clubs have 10 months to produce the accounts then the Premier League has to go through a process in investigating them, charging, getting both sides cases together etc. I may be wrong but you can sell after a period end to negate any losses from an FFP/ P&S perspective which will further muddy the waters.

They may do but there is difficulties attached to any action. Clubs have 10 months to produce the accounts then the Premier League has to go through a process in investigating them, charging, getting both sides cases together etc. I may be wrong but you can sell after a period end to negate any losses from an FFP/ P&S perspective which will further muddy the waters.

Apparently the breach being investigated was from the 2021-22 season.

Apparently the breach being investigated was from the 2021-22 season.
Its always a rolling 3 year cycle isn't it? 21-22 may have pushed them over the edge but it is assessed over the 3 years.

Its always a rolling 3 year cycle isn't it? 21-22 may have pushed them over the edge but it is assessed over the 3 years.

Yes, £105m loss in three years is your maximum.

Sorry, think I misread the BBC article:

Everton posted financial losses for the fifth successive year in March after reporting a £44.7m deficit in 2021-22.

Premier League clubs are permitted to lose £105m over a three-year period and Everton admitted to being in breach of the profit and sustainability rules (PSR) for the period ending 2021-22.

That’ll create a catalogue of legal battles if they stay up by a few points.
Indeed. They'll do a Trump and keep firing their lawyers so new lawyers need time for discovery. And the game shall commence.

Perfect result for the PL, they get to flex their muscles without relegating anyone and the team that got relegated instead of Everton last year is pissing the league so not worth their while kicking off either

Perfect result for the PL, they get to flex their muscles without relegating anyone and the team that got relegated instead of Everton last year is pissing the league so not worth their while kicking off either
It will get even better on appeal as Everton will see the reduction to 5 or 6 pts instead of 10. Effectively it will become a wash. A token penalty.

Does this mean the relegated clubs will sue?

I don't think so. The team that finished 18th is pissing the Championship.

It's a bit win/win for the Premier League: made an example of a club breaching FFP which probably won't see them relegated anyway, and Leicester are going to bounce straight back up regardless.

I think you'll find Jamie that trying to claim hundreds of millions of pounds more of losses through Covid than literally every other club isn't a great look.

Spitty really doesn't have any credibility. Who cares what he says or thinks. Football needs cleaning up. In what other business / industry is a loss of £105 million in three years seen as acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back